Openwrt to dd-wrt?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 16:45    Post subject: Openwrt to dd-wrt? Reply with quote
I have the WRT1900ACS router currently running openwrt. I'm generally happy with the performance but get an itch every now and then to see what's new in dd-wrt. Last time I tried it I couldnt get the 5ghz radio to work in dd-wrt.

Can anyone who's gone back and forth give the easiest method or do I need to go back to stock each time?

I've gone back and forth between openwrt and Gargoyle as both will let me flash to an .img file of the other firmware. Can I do that same thing with dd-wrt by renaming the .bin file to .img?

Thanks
Sponsor
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nobody has done this?
Josef_M

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did this only yesterday, but I had to go back to Linksys stock as it was no longer on the other partition. I uploaded stock firmware from the Linksys website directly to my router via puTTY.
Josef_M

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also thought I'd mention that I took this route as the neither stock or dd-wrt firmwares would take from the OpenWRT interface. SSH via puTTY worked like a charm.
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm, Thanks. I have no problem going back to stock from Openwrt but was hoping I could skip that step. I just wanted to see if anyone else has done it that way before I tried.

Going back to stock firmware so I can then use dd-wrt means I have to load an old version of dd-wrt first. Newer firmware is over the 32mb limit that the stock firmware will take. At least on this particular router.
Josef_M

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm, I have the ACV2 and the latest dd-wrt went straight on from the Linksys stock fw without issue.
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mine is the ACS v1.

I made a thread about this last year and got help from people in here.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=317240&highlight=

I suppose it might have changed since then but believe it was the stock firmware's limitations that was the problem, not dd-wrt
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting. I just tried to flash from openwrt and couldn't flash to anything from the webgui anymore. I think they've changed something in the 18.0 version. I also had to flash from the command line to get stock back on one partition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: