Netgear R7800 much slower WAN->LAN than Linksys 1900ACS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Author Message
p4p4
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 36

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 20:36    Post subject: Netgear R7800 much slower WAN->LAN than Linksys 1900ACS Reply with quote
I own a Netgear R7800 running Kong's DD-WRt 33770 and a Linksys 1900ACS (V1) with BS DD-WRT 33772. On both "Shortcut Forwarding Engine" is disabled because I use policy based routing in the VPN client. My internet connection is a fiber 1 Gigabit line.

In speedtests (not going over the VPN tunnel!) connected by LAN I get constant speeds of 800 Mbit up and 900 Mbit down on the Linksys 1900ACS, but the Netgear R7800 "only" gets 550 MbIt up/down. And this even though the specs of the 7800 are better. Same problem with all DD-WRT firmware versions on both routers in the last 6 months.

Does anybody have an explanation why the linksys outperforms the R7800 that much?
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Posts: 7124
Location: YWG, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
issue the command to the r7800 exactly as is without the "

"echo 2 > /proc/irq/255/smp_affinity"


will it magically make it take gigabit? probably not, but itll be closer. as for this whole "with ddwrt or x 3rd party firmware i cant get gigabit anymore etc" its not new, it should be expected, & its everywhere.. 4 second search i already find posts on it..

_________________
LATEST FIRMWARE(S) || Qualcomm Atheros Wi-Fi Settings Guide || Qualcomm Atheros Repeating

[X86-64] Haswell i3-4150 ------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r41586 std
[QUALCOMM] R7800 -----------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r40270M kongat
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r41586 std
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------> DD-WRT v3.0-r41586 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r41586 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------> DD-WRT v3.0-r40634 std

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

If you use DSLReports please enable hi-res bufferbloat.


Sigh.. why do i exist anyway..
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 2989
Location: UK, London, just across the river..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, tatsuya46 are this 2 lines are obsolete:
echo 2 > /proc/irq/67/smp_affinity
echo 2 > /proc/irq/89/smp_affinity

and replaced by
echo 2 > /proc/irq/255/smp_affinity

_________________
Atheros
TP-Link WR740Nv1 ------DD-WRT 33772 BS WAP/Switch (wired)
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ----DD-WRT 41459 BS (AP,PPPoE,NAT,AD Blocking,AP Isolation,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT)
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ----DD-WRT 41517 BS (AP,NAT,AD Blocking,Firewall,Wi-Fi OFF,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT)
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ----Gargoyle OS 1.11.0 (AP,NAT,QoS,Quotas)
Qualcomm/IPQ8065
2x Netgear R7800 -------DD-WRT 40270M 4.9 Kong (AP,NAT,AD-Blocking,AP&Net Isolation,VLAN's,Firewall,Local DNS,DNSCrypt-proxy v2 x2)
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 -------DD-WRT 40270M Kong (AP,NAT,VLAN,AD-Blocking,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stubby for DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 via Entware by mac913
p4p4
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 36

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
issue the command to the r7800 exactly as is without the "

"echo 2 > /proc/irq/255/smp_affinity"


will it magically make it take gigabit? probably not, but itll be closer. as for this whole "with ddwrt or x 3rd party firmware i cant get gigabit anymore etc" its not new, it should be expected, & its everywhere.. 4 second search i already find posts on it..


Thanks for your quick reply! I ran the command and its a bit faster (630 up/580 down compared to 550/550 before). I'll do another test in the morning, maybe I can't max out the line now because there is more traffic in the evening.

When I save this as "Save startup", the command will be run automatically at reboot?
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Posts: 7124
Location: YWG, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
well, tatsuya46 are this 2 lines are obsolete:
echo 2 > /proc/irq/67/smp_affinity
echo 2 > /proc/irq/89/smp_affinity

and replaced by
echo 2 > /proc/irq/255/smp_affinity


no those are for each wifi radio, 255 is for the wan interface, wan generates more interrupts, but anything in the list of cat /proc/interrupts can be shuffled around to whatever u want

p4p4 wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:
issue the command to the r7800 exactly as is without the "

"echo 2 > /proc/irq/255/smp_affinity"


will it magically make it take gigabit? probably not, but itll be closer. as for this whole "with ddwrt or x 3rd party firmware i cant get gigabit anymore etc" its not new, it should be expected, & its everywhere.. 4 second search i already find posts on it..


Thanks for your quick reply! I ran the command and its a bit faster (630 up/580 down compared to 550/550 before). I'll do another test in the morning, maybe I can't max out the line now because there is more traffic in the evening.

When I save this as "Save startup", the command will be run automatically at reboot?


yes & u can also try adding "for CPUFREQ in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor; do [ -f $CPUFREQ ] || continue; echo -n performance > $CPUFREQ; done" without " to startup on a separate line from the first command, to disable cpu scaling, always at 1.7ghz (unlike the affinity change, this one needs a reboot to have effect), but the scaling logic is better now so maybe only a few more mbps at best

_________________
LATEST FIRMWARE(S) || Qualcomm Atheros Wi-Fi Settings Guide || Qualcomm Atheros Repeating

[X86-64] Haswell i3-4150 ------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r41586 std
[QUALCOMM] R7800 -----------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r40270M kongat
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r41586 std
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------> DD-WRT v3.0-r41586 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r41586 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------> DD-WRT v3.0-r40634 std

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

If you use DSLReports please enable hi-res bufferbloat.


Sigh.. why do i exist anyway..
p4p4
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 36

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just tested again on the R7800 using the "echo 2 > /proc/irq/255/smp_affinity" command and now I get constant 650up/650down speeds over LAN. That is 100MBit faster than without the command.

Still wondering why the Linkssys 1900ACS manages to get 800/900MBit with DD-WRT. Maybe its the 4.4 Kernel versus the 3.18 Kernel?
Rudder2
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 31 May 2019
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
You ROCK tatsuya46!! Using these 2 commands fixed my slow download speed on my Nighthawk R7800 Router!! The first helped a little but the second made it work like on the stock firmware!! THANK YOU!!

echo 2 > /proc/irq/255/smp_affinity

for CPUFREQ in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor; do [ -f $CPUFREQ ] || continue; echo -n performance > $CPUFREQ; done
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum