DIR-890L Guide

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Ah-Pin-Kor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since you are already running dd-wrt, you can just directly flash Kong's R8000 build.

Netgear R7800 kongpro 19.07 20190919 || Netgear R7000 36070M kongac (Client Bridge=5GHz, AP=2.4GHz with bridged VAP)
Linksys WRT32X davidc502 OpenWrt || Linksys WRT1200ACv1 Gargoyle 1.11.x
Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 dd-wrt 39956
Sponsor
RKramkowski
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
So now a new wrinkle. I just got my service upgraded to 400Mb/sec. But I cannot get the router to to past 100Mb/sec. In doing research, I find out that the 890l has a problem with the shortcut forwarding engine (SFE). I've enabled it and disabled it and no difference. I've been digging and it may be that the 890l just may not be able to handle it. I haven't found a fix yet. I'd rather not get a new router - that one wasn't cheap - but may have no alternative.
Ah-Pin-Kor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Back when I still had a dir-890l, I did a speedtest without sfe and reached 350Mbps down/up, so it can at least go as high as that.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1124583&sid=fb03d71d3e68e5c2e267a3652eba9580#1124583

A cap at 100Mbps is usually due to at least one cable either faulty or not up to spec. You'll have to do some testing for each cable to isolate the problem.

Netgear R7800 kongpro 19.07 20190919 || Netgear R7000 36070M kongac (Client Bridge=5GHz, AP=2.4GHz with bridged VAP)
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does stock FW do the same think or show different speeds?

RKramkowski wrote:
So now a new wrinkle. I just got my service upgraded to 400Mb/sec. But I cannot get the router to to past 100Mb/sec. In doing research, I find out that the 890l has a problem with the shortcut forwarding engine (SFE). I've enabled it and disabled it and no difference. I've been digging and it may be that the 890l just may not be able to handle it. I haven't found a fix yet. I'd rather not get a new router - that one wasn't cheap - but may have no alternative.
RKramkowski
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've never run stock D-Link at this speed. I upgraded to DD-WRT a long time ago (but am running a fairly recent release). I'd rather not revert if i don't have to. With or without sfe, I only got to the mid 90's. I am running Cat5e cabling and I do intend to upgrade to Cat6. I guess it's going to be sooner rather than later.
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stock FW would only be something to compare too.

You might try this out as well to see what the 890L actually does on it's WAN to LAN side:
https://www.duckware.com/tech/router-wan-to-lan-throughput-test.html

RKramkowski wrote:
I've never run stock D-Link at this speed. I upgraded to DD-WRT a long time ago (but am running a fairly recent release). I'd rather not revert if i don't have to. With or without sfe, I only got to the mid 90's. I am running Cat5e cabling and I do intend to upgrade to Cat6. I guess it's going to be sooner rather than later.
camty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys, may I know which DD-WRT version is the most stable for DIR-890L? My one is A1 version. Thank you.
Tinybabyowl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 21:39    Post subject: Re: Firmware Upgrade failed! Reply with quote
daddycaddy wrote:
hi there,

when I bought my router I upgrade it to the latest firmware, when I try to install dd-wrt I keep getting "Firmware Upgrade failed!" doesn't matter what browser I'm using Sad
what should I do?

EDIT: I used this guide to downgrade my firmware then update: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=72749.0
and it worked.
I just put this here maybe it will help someone

I know it's a long shot since this post is so old, but does anyone know what steps they used? That thread is inaccessible.
Ah-Pin-Kor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 0:28    Post subject: Re: Firmware Upgrade failed! Reply with quote
Tinybabyowl wrote:
daddycaddy wrote:
hi there,

when I bought my router I upgrade it to the latest firmware, when I try to install dd-wrt I keep getting "Firmware Upgrade failed!" doesn't matter what browser I'm using Sad
what should I do?

EDIT: I used this guide to downgrade my firmware then update: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=72749.0
and it worked.
I just put this here maybe it will help someone

I know it's a long shot since this post is so old, but does anyone know what steps they used? That thread is inaccessible.

That thread basically tells you to downgrade the stock firmware to older version like v1.11 or lower (using the recovery procedure in post 2 of this thread), then you can flash the factory-to-ddwrt firmware.

What I did last time was use the recovery procedure to directly flash the factory-to-ddwrt, then I upgraded to the latest Kong R8000 build.

There's been reported problems with Chrome so use some other browser like IE or Firefox.

silverglade303
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't used DD-WRT for many years but I just tried again on my DIR-890L router because the stock firmware is garbage. Everything seemed to go well except when I tried to set security settings for the wireless connections. Every time the router crashed and had to have the firmware reinstalled to get to the admin page. I reverted back to the stock firmware for the time being until I can find a fix for this issue. I attempted the Kong build but the links seem to be dead and I cannot find it anywhere. Has anyone experienced these issues or know where the Kong build can be found?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
silverglade303 wrote:
I haven't used DD-WRT for many years but I just tried again on my DIR-890L router because the stock firmware is garbage. Everything seemed to go well except when I tried to set security settings for the wireless connections. Every time the router crashed and had to have the firmware reinstalled to get to the admin page. I reverted back to the stock firmware for the time being until I can find a fix for this issue. I attempted the Kong build but the links seem to be dead and I cannot find it anywhere. Has anyone experienced these issues or know where the Kong build can be found?

The kong builds can be found here for the time being. http://ddwrt-kong.clonevince.fr/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
From the Kong files, go for the R8000 (Netgear) version. DIR890L and R8000 share pretty much the same hardware.

I've been running BS build R31924 for quite some time without any problems. Last week I've upgraded to BS R40932. Ever since, I've experienced only one hang-up sine the upgrade.

When flashing from stock to dd-wrt, reset factory defaults at the first login to dd-wrt gui, just to make sure!
jfitzpatrick
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
RKramkowski wrote:

Did you ever get to the bottom of your problem? I have the same router and also just recently upgraded past the 100 Mbps line... only to find that the router can't keep up. I'm running DD-WRT v3.0-r40270M kongac (07/11/19).

I hate to have to upgrade the 890, even though I've been thinking about it for some time, over something so silly.
zeeshany
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
silverglade303 wrote:

The kong builds can be found here for the time being. http://ddwrt-kong.clonevince.fr/

Thanks for this, I have to say its a day and night difference with Kong build, I had flashed with BS build r40459 and no matter what settings i had tried following this post from start or trial and error, Always the Wifi on radio 2 kept dropping. I'm glad after changing to Kong build its much stable so far.
blaser
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone here running BS builds?
What is the latest stable build?
I'm currently running 39960 Kong due to wifi restarting every 2 min, this one is stable.
Looking to move to BS.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: