Asus RT-N12 D1, ethernet issue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
aser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:40    Post subject: Asus RT-N12 D1, ethernet issue. Reply with quote
First time poster here and first time working with DD-WRT.

I have a small network at home that suffers from buffer bloat, in particular for wireless traffic. Sadly I can't replace the router given by my ISP.

I was interested in using SQM and DNS level ad blocking, so I decided to try out Open-WRT, which was successful but unfortunately the wireless component would not work due to proprietary drivers a warning that I've missed when confirming my device's compatibility with Open-WRT.

From there on I flashed DD-WRT and was unable to reach the router via ethernet. I thought that the router was bricked somehow. After a few minutes of frustration I noticed that it was broadcasting a wifi signal. I connected to wifi and I was able to communicate with the router. I finished the initial setup, then tried to connect to it via ethernet.

After extensive debugging of my laptop, I was lead to believe that the issue is not with my laptop because when I connected an ethernet coming directly from the ISP's router it worked.

TLDR: I can connect to my DD-WRT flashed router over WiFi but not over Ethernet. Thanks
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is lots of info about the RT-N12 D1 in this forum if you search.
jwh7 had my good notes about installing dd-wrt on this unit in the wiki without using any Asus Firmware Restoration program mess but someone changed it.
There is a known problem with some of its ports being disabled when first install dd-wrt. Usually ports 1 & 4 get bad. I'm thinking port 4 becomes the WAN port..... but don't matter if you just reinstall same build a second time then ports are sorted out fine.
Be sure you are plugged into LAN port 2 or 3 to install.

here is a bit of old good info ---> https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1094747#1094747

The r25974 is of course and old build now and I have NO idea if new builds still work but the r25974 is a working build and at least an excellent starting place Razz
aser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
I have this router, and iirc, that's the one where the port assignments are messed up, and you have to reassign them from the command line.

Code:
nvram set vlan0ports=”0 1 2 3 5*”
nvram set vlan1ports=”4 5”
nvram commit

Then reboot.

First of all thanks for trying to help out. Unfortunately I was still unable to connect to it via Ethernet even after inputting these commands over wifi.
aser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
There is lots of info about the RT-N12 D1 in this forum if you search.
jwh7 had my good notes about installing dd-wrt on this unit in the wiki without using any Asus Firmware Restoration program mess but someone changed it.
There is a known problem with some of its ports being disabled when first install dd-wrt. Usually ports 1 & 4 get bad. I'm thinking port 4 becomes the WAN port..... but don't matter if you just reinstall same build a second time then ports are sorted out fine.
Be sure you are plugged into LAN port 2 or 3 to install.

here is a bit of old good info ---> https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1094747#1094747

The r25974 is of course and old build now and I have NO idea if new builds still work but the r25974 is a working build and at least an excellent starting place Razz

Unfortunately I can't connect to it over ethernet ports 2 or 3 either. I can't connect to it over any of the ether net ports at all, tried this on two devices my PC and laptop. I tried eibgrad's suggestion for the Ethernet ports but sadly that also did not work.

After following your instructions to flash the 25974_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini successfully, I was able to connect to it over Ethernet. Though once I tried to upgrade to v24-37305_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega the same occurrence happened again. The same happened when I tried to do this process for v24-33215_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega the one suggested in the thread you linked.

So I guess the only one that worked is the oldest version out of the three the 25974_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini. :/

Thanks for your efforts by the way. If you have any further feedback I'd be glad to hear it. Smile
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
aser wrote:
So I guess the only one that worked is the oldest version out of the three the 25974_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini. :/
I assume you installed the r25974 twice like I suggested????
Can't really tell you much about newer builds but according to my old post the K3.x r33215 worked fine.

I also assume yours is in fact a RTN12D1
I remember some euro models that were labled RTN12D that would not work. I have two RTN12D1 units in the closet ---- might getem out later and see what newer dd-wrt firmware might do......... but please don't wait on me.

You might go back to ASUS firmware such as I did in that post and go from there exactly as I done Wink

Here is the back label of one of mine

Some other junk about that router here:
http://mrjcd.com/junk/dd-wrt/ASUS_RT-N12D1/
Looks like I got its MTD parts for someone back in March of this year for some reason Rolling Eyes
aser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:

Here is the back label of one of mine

I think I'll give that a shot and yes, I did flash the r25974 twice as suggested. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Though I'm encountering a very interesting issue at the moment. I set things up, no DHCP server, using WAN as a switch, so I currently can connect to the internet using the router with the DD-WRT firmware. Though half the pages time out, I can access google, amazon, facebook, but for example duckduckgo times out, Ubuntu's main site times out, pi-hole as well and the image you have in your post. I guess I'll switch back to my phone's network to resolve this for the time being. Very Happy

Edit 1: After checking the backlabel you've attached, it is pretty similar to mine, mine has a different format on the left hand side but that shouldn't be an issue I believe. I believe you sent it to show the H/W Version and we do have the same version exactly.

Edit 2: When attempting to redo all the steps and going back to the stock, I downloaded the latest version of the software. After this I was unable to SSH into the router completely to be able to use TFTP and using the GUI to install an older firmware or DD-WRT fails.

Last edited by aser on Thu May 30, 2019 17:06; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just for giggles, and hopefully yours is a Broadcom unit, and not a MediaTek:

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-N12_series

I think all the Broadcom N12 series units are supported by FreshTomato, but I will have to verify. I haven't been keeping up as much as I should.
aser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Just for giggles, and hopefully yours is a Broadcom unit, and not a MediaTek:

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-N12_series

I think all the Broadcom N12 series units are supported by FreshTomato, but I will have to verify. I haven't been keeping up as much as I should.

No worries mate, mine is a broadcom unit indeed. The D1 to be exact.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wish you good luck Very Happy
Since I'm just tinkering around I just installed [dd-wrt.v24-39884_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin] on the RT-N12-D1
Seems to be working ok with newest r39884
Reset after GUI install over r36104 mega
Put him into 'Repeater' mode connected to main router's guest net.
The only weird thing I seen was when I created the VAP it thru me to --
'Broadcom - CFE miniWeb Server' ..... I just thought WTH and pushed its power switch
Left it powered off 'bout 15 seconds and pushed power back on. It all came back with what I was doing,
so I finised seting up the VAP (security). Connected my phone to its VAP and all worked very good.

Note: this is a very short term test but looks good so far
Note2: after first installed the K2.6 r25974 twice to correct ports I have never had a problem with them again

Here's a couple pics -- and yea, The RT-N12D1 always showed as a RT-N12B ...AFAIK BS never had this router Razz

EDIT: yea, tomato firmware works very nice on this unit but I ain't used one since last Shibby tomato Wink
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wouldn't take much to fix the model detection, but it might take months for the commits to hit the repo lol
aser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
I wish you good luck Very Happy

Thank you mate, I appreciate all your help. Sadly looks like my luck ran out. I decided to go back to factory firmware and start the process from the beginning. Though I made an amateur mistake, I went with the newest firmware from Asus. For some reason I can't FTP with all FTP connections being rejected and it refuses to flash anything that isn't certified by Asus.

This leaves the only option is to do this over a serial connection which I don't have the means to do at the moment.
fibreonic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

the r26125 firmware works on the ASUS RT-N12D1 Router:
http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2015/02-02-2015-r26125/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-26125_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin
http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2015/02-02-2015-r26125/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-26125_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: