Cmd for MAX CPU & Ideal CPU Affinity for k4.9x vs k3.18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
zabolots
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 13:11    Post subject: Cmd for MAX CPU & Ideal CPU Affinity for k4.9x vs k3.18 Reply with quote
Quite a while ago, I came across a post recommending the following startup commands for the R7800 with the 3.18 kernel:

Code:
echo 2 > /proc/irq/255/smp_affinity
for CPUFREQ in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor; do [ -f $CPUFREQ ] || continue; echo -n performance > $CPUFREQ; done

I'm finally going to be giving one of the Kong's test builds a try with kernel 4.9 but I'm wondering if this script needs to be modified for the new kernel. I would certainly imagine that the new kernel architecture may have different interrupts, and to be honest I don't even recall what the 255 interrupt affinity above was for, other than to improve performance.

Would the above command still be appropriate for 4.9x or do I need something different to achieve max performance?

Thanks...Scott

Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
What that command does, is setting the idle frequency of the CPU to max. You don't need it when the frequncy rises at load without causing any performance degrade. Idle on Kong is 800 Mhz.
zabolots
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, yes, I know that the CPUFREQ part is to bypass the CPU frequency adjustment and just peg them to the max clock speed.

I'm more interested in the optimal IRQ affinity adjustments for the 4.9 kernel to balance processes/interrupts across cores for best performance.

Thanks!

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Default is WAN on one core and LAN on the other. Works OK on a plain config. If you are running VPN or any CPU intensive extension, you may consider relocating away from the core that the VPN is using.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
What that command does, is setting the idle frequency of the CPU to max. You don't need it when the frequncy rises at load without causing any performance degrade. Idle on Kong is 800 Mhz.

on k4.x it is needed, the scaling is broken and theres performance degradation everywhere, even though ddwrt says its already scaled to max freq automatically, its not the same as having it at max manually

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

zabolots
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Default is WAN on one core and LAN on the other. Works OK on a plain config. If you are running VPN or any CPU intensive extension, you may consider relocating away from the core that the VPN is using.

Thanks, this is what I was still unsure of. I had no idea what, if anything, I needed to move around interrupt-wise for these k4.9 Kong test builds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: