DD-WRT on WRT3200ACM final review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
snipepod
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:21    Post subject: DD-WRT on WRT3200ACM final review Reply with quote
I purchased my Linksys WRT3200ACM with the intent of running open router software that supports OPENVPN so I could protect my entire network.
Unfortunately I doubt if I will spend any more time with DD-WRT.

Here are the two major deal breakers I experienced.

1. Wi-Fi connect speeds would radically and unpredictable fluctuate. My Samsung S9 could one time connect at 866Mb (great) and then next time 177Mb, without any changes to DD-WRT settings. I experience this wild variance on my Samsung Taba, and my Lenovo Yoga laptop running both Windows 10 and Ubuntu. Hard to trouble shoot when things fluctuate like this without making any parameter changes.

2. This problem was a deal breaker. I live in a poor cell phone signal area. To mitigate this problem we use WI-FI calling on our cell phones. This works awesome on the Linksys firmware. But completely fails on DD-WRT. This is a must have.

I run IPTV into TVHEADEND and out to Kodi clients. I do think that DD-WRT recovers quicker from TCP stream errors than Linksys on IPTV streams. But it is close.

I tested R39827 which is from 05/20/2019. The latest I could find.

It is sad to abandon DD-WRT. The concept is great. I love the linux foundation. It just is not ready for primetime on the WRT3200ACM.

Good luck in your development.
Sponsor
D3m0n1q_733rz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey, while we're glad to hear feedback about some of the issues you're having with DD-WRT, please do so with a reporting mindset instead of a "I want to see your manager" mindset.
ttowling
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
D3m0n1q_733rz wrote:
Hey, while we're glad to hear feedback about some of the issues you're having with DD-WRT, please do so with a reporting mindset instead of a "I want to see your manager" mindset.

The beta 'just isn't ready for primetime'.. bombshell.

I'm using the WRT1900ACS V2 and it's fine. As a Linux user I'm accustomed to buying tried and tested hardware, rather than something bleeding edge and finding out it doesn't work yet
CantRepeat
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good luck, can I have your stuff?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 17:55    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT on WRT3200ACM final review Reply with quote
The thing is that DD-WRT (and OpenWrt for that matter) work excellent with these routers for what they are able to achieve. The problem is the Wi-Fi driver (mwlwifi) and the firmware is handled by a different project.

Unfortunately this project is 'complete' according to those Marvel developers and they seem to have no intention of ever improving the Wi-Fi drivers any further. Because of this, the WRT3200ACM, WRT32X, etc. are not likely to ever improve further for Wi-Fi. It's a shame because these routers have so much potential.

You can see about the driver here: https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: