R7000 Thermal Upgrade..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
punker_4_real
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
jheide44 wrote:

Depending on your device/transformer... you might have to spec your fan to suit your needs. 12v/5v/etc. I always tried to keep the fan amperage down as low as possible.
Low Profile laptop fan will use the lowest power 1w to 2.5w that is at full speed so you will need a micro fan controller so it's quiet.. if you want to take a step further you can use a small heat sink from a laptop GPU..

or make a custom heatpipe heatsink(you will need to know how to do soldering though)
might need to be a butane?

if it's running 90C it's too hot bro.

that is 195F Rolling Eyes A normal CPU chip should be about(idle)
Core i7 quad hits about 80C under load 3.4ghz (laptop)
Core2 quad 56C idle
Core2 Duo 3.06Ghz laptop (hits 42C idle, 97C under load)
has gpu on the same h/s pipe
Pentium 4 HT with 3.06 GHz speed.. 50C-58C
Celeron 2.0ghz 45C
Pentium 3 700Mhz with fan about 38C
pentium 2 400MHz is about 35C passive heatsink
Sponsor
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
punker_4_real wrote:
jheide44 wrote:

Depending on your device/transformer... you might have to spec your fan to suit your needs. 12v/5v/etc. I always tried to keep the fan amperage down as low as possible.
Low Profile laptop fan will use the lowest power 1w to 2.5w that is at full speed so you will need a micro fan controller so it's quiet.. if you want to take a step further you can use a small heat sink from a laptop GPU..

or make a custom heatpipe heatsink(you will need to know how to do soldering though)
might need to be a butane?

if it's running 90C it's too hot bro.

that is 195F Rolling Eyes A normal CPU chip should be about(idle)
Core i7 quad hits about 80C under load 3.4ghz (laptop)
Core2 quad 56C idle
Core2 Duo 3.06Ghz laptop (hits 42C idle, 97C under load)
has gpu on the same h/s pipe
Pentium 4 HT with 3.06 GHz speed.. 50C-58C
Celeron 2.0ghz 45C
Pentium 3 700Mhz with fan about 38C
pentium 2 400MHz is about 35C passive heatsink

Small detail you are comparing x86 CPUs with an ARM system on chip. Apples and oranges.

R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
manuelcalavera
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just bought R7000 and flashed latest DD-WRT. I found the temperature is strange. It shows CPU 64 degree but when I touch the CPU's EMI shield, it is just as warm as my finger. Is it normal?

Also, could someone teach me how to remove the EMI shield?
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
manuelcalavera wrote:
I just bought R7000 and flashed latest DD-WRT. I found the temperature is strange. It shows CPU 64 degree but when I touch the CPU's EMI shield, it is just as warm as my finger. Is it normal?

Also, could someone teach me how to remove the EMI shield?

The temp is fine. 64 is "cold" for these bad boys.

R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
AnAngryCoffeeTable
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello -- Im new here. I bought my R7000 for £60 back in 2017 due to a pricing error.

Its worked flawlessly up and till now where it seems to be overheating. which has let me to consider opening it up and making a few tweaks as its already out of warranty.

Unfortunately I dont have the tools to cut through the case and mount a small fan and the suggested thermal pads are way too expensive to even be considered,The best i can do is order some Arctic thermal pads but even those are rubbish as they are rated at 6-8.0 W/mK

To remedy the fact that the suggested thermal pads are too damn expensive, i have gone ahead and ordered some copper shims instead to make direct contact with all surfaces. all in all it came to £20 though that number does not include thermal paste.

I'll be using small applications of MX-4 thermal paste or failing that some CoolerMaster Master Gel Maker Nano - both these are non conductive so im sure it'll be fine and offer some decent results with the laptop cooler i have running underneath it.

I'll be sure to put up some pictures when everything arrives and I start working on it.

Ive not installed DD-WRT on it yet but maybe i'll get around to doing that after my modifications are done.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
AnAngryCoffeeTable wrote:
Hello -- Im new here. I bought my R7000 for £60 back in 2017 due to a pricing error.

Its worked flawlessly up and till now where it seems to be overheating. which has let me to consider opening it up and making a few tweaks as its already out of warranty.

Unfortunately I dont have the tools to cut through the case and mount a small fan and the suggested thermal pads are way too expensive to even be considered,The best i can do is order some Arctic thermal pads but even those are rubbish as they are rated at 6-8.0 W/mK

To remedy the fact that the suggested thermal pads are too damn expensive, i have gone ahead and ordered some copper shims instead to make direct contact with all surfaces. all in all it came to £20 though that number does not include thermal paste.

I'll be using small applications of MX-4 thermal paste or failing that some CoolerMaster Master Gel Maker Nano - both these are non conductive so im sure it'll be fine and offer some decent results with the laptop cooler i have running underneath it.

I'll be sure to put up some pictures when everything arrives and I start working on it.

Ive not installed DD-WRT on it yet but maybe i'll get around to doing that after my modifications are done.

What do you call overheating?

AnAngryCoffeeTable
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:

random Reboots/restarts when the unit is under load in around 25'c ambient room temp.

it will just suddenly die and restart. I didnt have such problems when it was 12'c ambient here.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:

random Reboots/restarts when the unit is under load in around 25'c ambient room temp.

it will just suddenly die and restart. I didnt have such problems when it was 12'c ambient here.

I see. IMO, that router is dead then, putting a heatsink would give you less problems now but in some months might get worse even with it. Either that or the flash got corrupted and gives you the restarts. Anyway, hope you solve it.

AnAngryCoffeeTable
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:
Xeon2k8 wrote:

I see. IMO, that router is dead then, putting a heatsink would give you less problems now but in some months might get worse even with it. Either that or the flash got corrupted and gives you the restarts. Anyway, hope you solve it.

I dont know what you class as 'dead' but its still working just fine for surfing and light gaming with VC. I'll just have to get my NAS to stop downloading while im gaming.

Though I might of made a little mistake, my PC is a room heater so my room gets significantly warmer in the evenings when im gaming and theres not enough of breeze running through. so maybe closer to 27-28'c if the regular ambient is 25'c. Cuz its 24'c right now and things are pretty chill.

my 8600k is idling at 35'c

So long as my room has decent ventillation and theres a cool breeze running through. I can game, Voice chat, DL stuff on NAS and stream youtube to my tablet without any problems.

So im crossing my fingers that these copper shims fix that. In any case, it should run a lot cooler especially with a laptop cooler underneath.

:EDIT::

Like i said, it only starts misbehaving when my room gets hot. otherwise its perfectly fine
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I keep a USB laptop fan cooler under any router I run on my network. 24/7. Very Happy They work well and can be first choice to help with heat issues before cracking open a router and changing heat pads/sinks. There quite and some have variable speed controls too. Saves on heat degradation of HW. Rolling Eyes
AnAngryCoffeeTable
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I cracked it open... Unfortunately I didnt count on the fact that i needed a heat gun to get inside it which was something that i dont have or have access to.

Only thing i could do was replace the thick thermal pad there with some copper shims.

Not a lot I can do really. I did think about sticking some RAM heatsinks for a graphics card to it, but its probably not worth the hassle.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
i guess my r7000 can tolerate much higher temp than 35-40C
in your case check your capacitors or even power supply

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: