Can't flash DD-WRT on Netgear R7800

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
PaulusE
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 16:55    Post subject: Can't flash DD-WRT on Netgear R7800 Reply with quote
Hi all,

Today I got myself a Netgear Nighthawk R7800. Of course the first thing I tried is to flash a custom firmware. I downloaded the Kong release and flashed "R7800-factory-to-ddwrt.img" from the stock Netgear UI.

The flashing all goes well, until my router goes for the reboot. From that moment the powerled is orange, the LAN1 port is blinking (its where my device is connected to), after a while all the four LAN ports turn white and then the router seems to reboot again to repeat the process.

At first I thought I bricked my router, fortunately I can hold the reset button, wait for my power led to blink white and flash the stock firmware back through TFTP.

I also tried OpenWRT, but exactly the same thing is happening with that firmware.

Unfortunately I'm not able to find anyone with such issues, hence I started my topic here.
Hopefully someone is known with this issue and knows what I'm doing wrong.

I also tried flashing the "R7800-factory-to-ddwrt.img" file through TFTP but without any success. Sad

Thanks, Paul!
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
try using the non test build version first:

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/R7800-factory-to-ddwrt.img

To get TFTP to work, power off, push reset button and hold down, let the R7800 boot up while holding down the reset. and after about 15-20 seconds the pwr light will go from orange to white-release reset button now. Then you can push the new img file.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
PaulusE
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately the router is in my new house, I'm not there all the time so it has taken a while before I was able to try your method.

I held down the reset button and turned the power back on (at the same time) until I was in recovery mode to flash through TFTP. Unfortunately this doesn't work either. The IMG file gets transfered, the router reboots and then is just stuck.

The even more strange thing is; I configured my router on the stock firmware to get internet to work and all (had to configure VLAN and such). These settings were all still there after putting back the original firmware.

Any ideas?
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
PaulusE wrote:
Unfortunately the router is in my new house, I'm not there all the time so it has taken a while before I was able to try your method.

I held down the reset button and turned the power back on (at the same time) until I was in recovery mode to flash through TFTP. Unfortunately this doesn't work either. The IMG file gets transfered, the router reboots and then is just stuck.

The even more strange thing is; I configured my router on the stock firmware to get internet to work and all (had to configure VLAN and such). These settings were all still there after putting back the original firmware.

Any ideas?

While using Netgear Firmware. Perform a factory reset and then try to update the firmware using this file:
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/R7800-factory-to-ddwrt.img

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R7800] resting
PaulusE
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I doubt thats going to do anything as I tried to flash DD-WRT already as soon as the router came out of the box. I only clicked through the "setup" and from there I went through the progress of failure while trying to flash my firmware.

Can it be that I have a somewhat newer model that it's not working how its supposed to be working for me?
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
The TFTP method on Netgear routers is usually "bullet proof." This is why BS loves Netgear and their TFTP.

You must not be doing something right with the TFTP process... See this: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1165514#1165514

What Netgear Firmware is on the device right now?

[R7800] resting
PaulusE
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
The TFTP method on Netgear routers is usually "bullet proof." This is why BS loves Netgear and their TFTP.

You must not be doing something right with the TFTP process... See this: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1165514#1165514
I'm not sure how you can do anything wrong while flashing the firmware through TFTP, but this is how I do it:
Code:
# cd ~/Downloads
# tftp
tftp> connect 192.168.1.1
tftp> bin
tftp> put [name_of_file].img

msoengineer wrote:
I'm currently on the latest version; V1.0.2.62
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
PaulusE wrote:
msoengineer wrote:

I'm not sure how you can do anything wrong while flashing the firmware through TFTP, but this is how I do it:
Code:
# cd ~/Downloads
# tftp
tftp> connect 192.168.1.1
tftp> bin
tftp> put [name_of_file].img

msoengineer wrote:
I'm currently on the latest version; V1.0.2.62

I've never used the windows TFTP client and can't comment.
Try using TFTP64 as I described in my link in my previous message.

I don't think you are actually pushing the file the right way to the router using windows/dos command.

[R7800] resting
PaulusE
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using a Mac, this way is described on the netgear website when you go through the recovery. As far as I can see your tool only works for Windows Sad
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't own a mac anymore...

Use the TFTP client these instructions have:
https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

Edit:
Here is the most up-to-date TFTP client for Mac that was previously recommended by Netgear.

http://www.mactechnologies.com/index.php?page=downloads#tftpclient

And their software instructions:
http://www.mactechnologies.com/wordpress/2001/01/general-instructions-for-mactftp-client/

[R7800] resting
PaulusE
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Apparently there was something wrong with my router. I bought a new one from a different store and able to flash it without any problems.

Strange thing, but my problem is solved
rax369
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Was going to suggest before trying to flash anything, to update the stock firmware to its latest version, then proceed from there to flash DD-WRT.

I know... could sound stupid, but as a middle step to bypass the recurrent issue was something that came to my mind.

Glad to know you managed to get another device, and on the new one, everything went well Very Happy
PaulusE
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
rax369 wrote:
Was going to suggest before trying to flash anything, to update the stock firmware to its latest version, then proceed from there to flash DD-WRT.

I know... could sound stupid, but as a middle step to bypass the recurrent issue was something that came to my mind.

Glad to know you managed to get another device, and on the new one, everything went well Very Happy
that's something I had tried already, in order to get back to the stock firmware after I tried flashing it I had to update it with the latest firmware from the netgear website. Smile thanks for the thoughts though
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: