SMB/LAN fluctuating speeds on WRT3200ACM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Pufcio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 15:03    Post subject: SMB/LAN fluctuating speeds on WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
I've discovered that if I reboot the device the speeds between PC (cable) and Laptop (wireless) are pretty decent. Same with PC<->NAS and Laptop<->NAS (plugged USB 3.0 drive). However as time passes, those speeds can sometimes drop so low it makes me want to cry.

Some details:

Latest FW on router (39715 as of now, but it happened on earlier versions too).
PC - Intel PRO/1000 (1GbE, w/JF)
Laptop - Intel AC7260 (mostly running at 866Mbps on 160MHz 5GHz channel)
SSD's on both machines.

Since I have an asymmetric ISP connection, I cannot test UL/DL reliably, but I could easily get 300Mbps+ DL on both machines (with connection rated at 300Mbps DL), so I can assume that there's no bottleneck on cable, nor on wireless connection.

Moreover, at one time I can copy a file over the network and it'll go at low 30's (MBps), sometimes it'll drop to sub-10 MBps. It's the same with the plugged USB drive. Sometimes it'll pull around 40/70MBps (wireless/cable respectively), sometimes it's not even a quarter of it, and once I had to reboot the router, because I had had like 0.5MBps throughput.

Even if I plug cable to the laptop (which can increase my transfer between machines to around 90MBps IIRC), the speed might drop a lot in a blink of an eye for no apparent reason. And a little bit later, randomly, it can jump back to some reasonable value. Sometimes for a short while, sometimes for long enough to finish the copy process on, well, normal speed.

It's not like I'm mad here or anything. I'm just trying to understand how a hardware that makes my previous router (WRT610N v1) look like a toy can perform barely better at times. And how could I prevent it from happening. That is, if I can. Am I doing something wrong, is it a bug or maybe I am missing something? Cosmic rays, butterfly effect, I dunno.
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: