Laptop Sleep mode affects network

AndyPopely
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 15:42    Post subject: Laptop Sleep mode affects network Reply with quote
I have a Netgear WNDR3700 router running DD-WRT v3.0-r28139.

Whenever my MacBook Pro or Chromebook laptops enter sleep mode and I'm watching a streaming TV program on Roku then within a few seconds of either laptop entering sleep mode the Roku starts buffering. If this continues for too long my Android phone starts dropping its WiFi connection.

If I open the lid of the laptop that is sleeping to wake it from sleep mode then the Roku buffering stops and the Android phone stays connected.

Are there settings I need to change on DD-WRT to stop sleep mode on either laptop from affecting the rest of the network?
Sponsor
AndyPopely
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I managed to fix the problem.

The buffering on streaming TV programs was fixed by lowering the Sensitivity Range(ACK Timing) to it's minimum of 450.

The additional issue with TV streaming was the TV show would end but not cue the next show or automatically start the next show. I would have to manually fast forward the show to the end. This was fixed by changing the Wireless Network Mode from NG-Mixed to Mixed.
AndyPopely
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
They did in as much as both of them were invoking the sleep process and that was causing the router problems which in turn disrupted the timely flow of TV streaming.

I've seen on other non dd-wrt forums that people have had the same problems with sleeping devices.

I too don't understand the ACK timing/sleeping connection but am pleased it's fixed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: