Support for Netgear R6350?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Brett Glass
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 22:13    Post subject: Support for Netgear R6350? Reply with quote
Was just asked to install better firmware on a Netgear R6350 router. According to WikiDevi, it uses a (MIPS-based) Mediatek chipset and is internally similar to, if not identical to, the Netgear R6260. Does DD-WRT support it? Any of the Kong builds? All pointers to good alternative firmware appreciated! (Note: Posting this under "general questions" because there is no category for this specific brand of chipset, as there is for Broadcom.)
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
MediaTek belongs with Ralink. I’ll move it there.
If it’s not listed here, then it’s not supported.
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Last edited by Malachi on Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:12; edited 1 time in total
Brett Glass
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, Ralink then. In any event, this router looks a lot like the Netgear routers sold in the US, and has a chipset they've used in several models, but its label has a corporate address in Ireland. So, I suspect that there's already a build that will work with it - or is close. Advice appreciated.
Lordomus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm digging it up as i'd like to get wrt ported to it.
It is basically R6260 with marginally different PCB layout and support for faster AC standard (1750 vs 1600).

FCCID: PY317300390
CPU: MediaTek MT7621AT (MIPS 1004Kc @880MHz 2C/4T (Dual Core/Quad Thread) 32KB I-Cache, 32KB D-Cache, 256KB L2 Cache, w/ SMP capable)
RAM: 128MB DDR3
Flash: 128MB

Will drop hi-res photos soon™
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just make sure the hi-res photos are 800x600, and if you have to take multiple photos to get all the details because of that, then do it. The easiest way to get support for this device is to buy one and send it to the developer. Outside of that, pictures, serial dump and other technical information posted may or may not help. If the chipset / SoC is already supported, then certain details may be all that's required.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lordomus wrote:
I'm digging it up as i'd like to get wrt ported to it.
It is basically R6260 with marginally different PCB layout and support for faster AC standard (1750 vs 1600).
Ya you'll need to send an r6260 or r6350 to the dev for support. They have the same FCC and board IDs.
kernel-panic69 wrote:
The easiest way to get support for this device is to buy one and send it to the developer.

In the meantime, OpenWRT supports them in their snapshots; have you tried that?
https://openwrt.org/toh/netgear/netgear_r6350
https://openwrt.org/releases/snapshot

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Necro update to this topic. Netgear R6350 has been supported since 02-23-2021-r45820

Current release is 07-30-2022-r49599 as of this post.

----------------------
gmidoro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Necro update to this topic. Netgear R6350 has been supported since 02-23-2021-r45820

Current release is 07-30-2022-r49599 as of this post.

Found my unit at a 2nd Hand / Thrift Store. Decent to Good condition. The model IS SUPPORTED.

Took it home - hard reset (back of unit - 10 secs - paper clip) accessed Netgear GUI (forgot the default pwd, but you can look u it up.)

Flashed 'Factory to DDWRT' from the Netgear 'FW Upgrade' page. Wait 5 min. Then 'webflash' wait 5 min (both 49626.) No drama. Booted into DDWRT GUI fine. Actually one the easiest flashes I've ever done.

SOME CAVAEATS: In wireless setup you will noticed some new (to me at least) quasi-exotic features. I am mostly a Broadcom-brat so I had to do some research on some of these new functions. Chipset is Mediatek (RALink?)

Info page on router will report 4 processor cores...more research says it is actually two cores with four threads.

Performance: usually tops out at 173 Mbps -consistent- which works for me comfortable.

More more research suggests that Mediatek units can run well at HT40-WIDE for N-Grade (300 Mbps) speeds. Have not tried this. Although be careful: you could 'crowd out' your neighbors.)

Streaming = good. No drops to report.

After a second reboot it immediately picked up my RB.

Depending on your situation you may want to elevate the unit. Seems to be a bit more heat sensitive than the legacy Netgears.

A pleasant surprise - this router : - ]
Wodger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 13:34    Post subject: R6350 misbehaving Reply with quote
gmidoro wrote:

Found my unit at a 2nd Hand / Thrift Store. Decent to Good condition. The model IS SUPPORTED.

Took it home - hard reset (back of unit - 10 secs - paper clip) accessed Netgear GUI (forgot the default pwd, but you can look u it up.)

Flashed 'Factory to DDWRT' from the Netgear 'FW Upgrade' page. Wait 5 min. Then 'webflash' wait 5 min (both 49626.) No drama. Booted into DDWRT GUI fine. Actually one the easiest flashes I've ever done.

SOME CAVAEATS: In wireless setup you will noticed some new (to me at least) quasi-exotic features. I am mostly a Broadcom-brat so I had to do some research on some of these new functions. Chipset is Mediatek (RALink?)

Info page on router will report 4 processor cores...more research says it is actually two cores with four threads.

Performance: usually tops out at 173 Mbps -consistent- which works for me comfortable.

More more research suggests that Mediatek units can run well at HT40-WIDE for N-Grade (300 Mbps) speeds. Have not tried this. Although be careful: you could 'crowd out' your neighbors.)

Streaming = good. No drops to report.

After a second reboot it immediately picked up my RB.

Depending on your situation you may want to elevate the unit. Seems to be a bit more heat sensitive than the legacy Netgears.

A pleasant surprise - this router : - ]

Hi everyone,

So I've been running dd-wrt on most of my routers over the years (E3000 / WRT54G / E1200) but since finally getting decent fiber to the house a year and a half ago, I had to get something that could keep up - cue R6350. I didn't have a great deal of cash on hand at the time, but reviews said fine, and checking here I saw it was supported, so I got it.

Everything has been fine until I had "complaints" from the family that the 2.4Ghz was slow. So I looked into a newer build (think the one that was there was from 2020?) Anyway, upgrading from the dd-wrt GUI using webflash file bricked the router, after using nmrpflash (running linux on main system), flashed the stock netgear FW on, then used the "factory-To-ddwrt" and it ran well - using build mentioned above - 49626 (or so I thought). Although I've fixed the Wifi speeds, now the WAN appears to drop out from time to time (router address also goes unresponsive, but networked devices respond - Access to networked media server).

Normally I have to power cycle the router to get WAN back, but once I was able to get into the dd-wrt GUI and pull this from the log:
Code:
May 11 00:44:24 MainRouter kern.info kernel: [ 8792.350501] mtk_soc_eth 1e100000.ethernet eth0: port 0 link down
May 11 00:44:27 MainRouter kern.info kernel: [ 8794.961106] mtk_soc_eth 1e100000.ethernet eth0: port 0 link up

According to the openWRT forums, this might have something to do with the "known issue with the mt7530 switch included in mt7621 devices.". Apparently this has been an ongoing issue for a long time with them (2020) but I can't remember having this issue with the previous dd-wrt build with slow wifi (silly guy I am forgot to write build down).

I have attempted to use a more up to date version but managed to get the recent 52432 before it was known "broken", so currently on the build mentioned above. I haven't been able to upgrade using "webflash" files ever, so always to attempt a new build, I need to nmrpflash the original firmware and upgrade from there. I saw @gmidoro managed to use webflash so I'm not sure if its just my router that has this quirk.

If anyone could lend advice where to go from here, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Pete
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not much help if you are not testing the current release (as of this post) and reporting in the build thread:

New Build - 05/11/2023 - r52485

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2023/05-11-2023-r52485/netgear-r6350/

You may want to try flashing via CLI to see if firmware images are too big and that is why you wound up with a brick. Lack of reporting in build threads doesn't really help the community at large, so we have no idea if there are issues that require resolution. Also, keep in mind, this is not a helpdesk thread, it was posted to garner interest from the developer to add the device to the list of supported devices. The mindset of having threads 200 pages in depth to have to sift through is illogical and highly ridiculous since the fact remains that people do not search well enough and ask the same questions many, many, *many* times and create a circular cesspool of discussion that winds up being more of a detriment than help due to confusion on the actual answer.

Code:
factory-to-ddwrt.img                               23-Feb-2021 13:15            32266576
r6350-webflash.bin                                 23-Feb-2021 13:15            36179996

factory-to-ddwrt.img                               11-May-2023 09:34            35319206
r6350-webflash.bin                                 11-May-2023 09:33            39325724

----------------------
Wodger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Not much help if you are not testing the current release (as of this post) and reporting in the build thread:

New Build - 05/11/2023 - r52485

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2023/05-11-2023-r52485/netgear-r6350/

You may want to try flashing via CLI to see if firmware images are too big and that is why you wound up with a brick. Lack of reporting in build threads doesn't really help the community at large, so we have no idea if there are issues that require resolution. Also, keep in mind, this is not a helpdesk thread, it was posted to garner interest from the developer to add the device to the list of supported devices. The mindset of having threads 200 pages in depth to have to sift through is illogical and highly ridiculous since the fact remains that people do not search well enough and ask the same questions many, many, *many* times and create a circular cesspool of discussion that winds up being more of a detriment than help due to confusion on the actual answer.

Code:
factory-to-ddwrt.img                               23-Feb-2021 13:15            32266576
r6350-webflash.bin                                 23-Feb-2021 13:15            36179996

factory-to-ddwrt.img                               11-May-2023 09:34            35319206
r6350-webflash.bin                                 11-May-2023 09:33            39325724

Understood completely. Thanks for the suggestion. I will have a go right now with the latest build (every other person in the house is asleep so no issue for an internet downtime for a while), and report in the build thread. I will also download build 45820 in case it goes pear shaped.

Appreciate the advice.

Pete
gmidoro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 22:36    Post subject: More on R6350 (49426) Reply with quote
Since my last post, a couple of things to report concerning this router.

Netgear R6350 running as primary AP (49626) @ 2.4ghz

Incident #1 Tried to access YT on my Samsung Smart TV - no connection - ran network
connection wizard on TV - received "CONNECTED TO LOCAL NETWORK, BUT NOT THE INTERNET"
Power cycle router, wait three mins, try again. After about 3x more tries (connection wizard), TV - BELATEDLY - connects to internet.

Incident #2 Purchased new Samsung Tablet (SM-T220), ran setup wizard = CONNECTED - NO INTERNET.
Research, research, research, forums, YT videos, about 1hr 1/2 troubleshoot. No dice, still
CONNECTED - NO INTERNET... Dug out an old R7000 (ARM - Broadcom) - restored with AP settings = new tablet CONNECTS!

...later...

Factory Reset R6350 to virgin. Set generic network name & password = new tablet CONNECTS!
Restored R6350 to current AP settings = once again CONNECTED - NO INTERNET.

Regression Analysis (on R6350 running 49626): Unable to determine exactly what settings are keeping the new tablet from connecting.

My experience on R6350 concurs with yours ("now the WAN appears to drop out from time to time"), but on only THESE TWO DEVICES. Otherwise, experience with this router has been exemplary. Consistent speed at 173Mbs, with no drops - on most other devices.

Was unaware of "known issue with the mt7530 switch included in mt7621 devices."

Have been considering trying another build, although most of my current devices seem to 'like' 49626.
SmartTV & New Tablet = absolutely no connection probs with previous R7000 (49626)

As for 'Webflash' that is, updates through the DDWRT interface: Both forums (and experience) have taught - always do a soft reboot BEFORE a version upgrade. And ALWAYS make sure that your current router settings are backed up 2x (local and USB). Not being accusatory, it's a mistake I have made more than once ; - ]
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 1:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let me repeat myself for the folks who didn't read it the first time, obviously.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
Lack of reporting in build threads doesn't really help the community at large, so we have no idea if there are issues that require resolution. Also, keep in mind, this is not a helpdesk thread, it was posted to garner interest from the developer to add the device to the list of supported devices. The mindset of having threads 200 pages in depth to have to sift through is illogical and highly ridiculous since the fact remains that people do not search well enough and ask the same questions many, many, *many* times and create a circular cesspool of discussion that winds up being more of a detriment than help due to confusion on the actual answer.

This thread is also not intended to be an information dump. Please, for the love of all things DD-WRT, report in the build threads, open a new thread to discuss your issues.

OR, PLEASE post your configs in this thread so we can sort through your issues for EVERYONE's benefit in this thread, whichever.

----------------------
news8000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 16:28    Post subject: new builds responses Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Let me repeat myself for the folks who didn't read it the first time, obviously.

OR, PLEASE post your configs in this thread so we can sort through your issues for EVERYONE's benefit in this thread, whichever.

Sorry to say, but I've been listing my WRT350N and NetgearR6850 as running the latest builds on several occasions under the appropriate new builds thread, and mentioned several problems I'm having especially with USB drive mounting,

BUT ZERO responses here.

I'm not bothering anymore trying, it's been months and I've given up getting any response here.

And yes, I put all the required info as to my router config and flash files used, etc as requested by the thread's stickys.

And tried my best to describe the issues I'm having with dmesg and messages captures attached.

Is this a usual situation?

Why is there NO response after asking several times why my R6850 with several of the latest dd builds will not recognize my usb drive?

I'm back to Netgear firmware as a consequence. I love the dd-wrt on the r6850 but need usb function. Works perfect with netgear fw.

ANYONE OUT THERE RUNNING DD ON R6850?

PLEASE?
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
These were all blind ports based off the WAC124 and R6800, etc., most likely. It seems your logs have been downloaded and examined or forwarded to the developer (?). Blind ports may have issues that are device-specific. But without actual hardware donation in hand, the developer has to do more research and gain information specific to the devices by other means. Serial dump from stock firmware usually helps.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=334465

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=334413&start=2

Please continue flashing and reporting each new build until this is resolved. We can't force everyone to flash and report, so someone else is likely lurking and depending on you to do it for them. Thanks.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: