TP-link Acher C7 V1.1 MOD questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
rictec
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 18:22    Post subject: TP-link Acher C7 V1.1 MOD questions Reply with quote
hello

i have one of this oldies my questions are:

1- can i replace the 5G wifi with another one that is supported by dd-wrt?

2 - can i replace the 8MB flash chip with a 16 one and it will boot?

thank you for you time i used DD-WRT for so long that i would like to keep using it on this too but its V1.1 so it as that chip that is unsuported
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
just cut the hassle and get a supported router...
look for a Netgear R6400, R7000 or R7800..
or Archer C7 v2, v3...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
rictec
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 23:56    Post subject: TP-link Acher C7 V1.1 MOD questions Reply with quote
my ideia was to covert this v1 to a v2 somehow
by replacing the flash to a 16mb one and the 5g wifi card

is this too much work?
rictec
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
rictec wrote:
my ideia was to covert this v1 to a v2 somehow
by replacing the flash to a 16mb one and the 5g wifi card

is this too much work?

I agree w/ Alozaros. What are we talking about here, a $40-50 router? But ultimately it's your call. If it was *me*, I'd sell the darn thing, recoup a few dollars, and just buy something better. And it would be something using a Broadcom chipset, to avoid compatibility problems in the first place. Broadcom gives you more options, like tomato. Pretty nice to have the option to switch to different third party firmware when the current offering comes up short. dd-wrt is great, but it's not perfect, and has advantages and disadvantages relative to other third party firmware options.

thank you for your reply
this is a side project really i will check those router he posted there and get one still i needed to dig and check if this change is possible or not
i do think that changing the wifi card work for what i read here now i need to know if a 16mb chip will even boot the router or i have to compile a new uboot or something
rictec
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Well there are plenty of dd-wrt compatibile routers running w/ 16MB flash, even less. But of course, it always helps to have more. 16MB will allow you to boot even the largest MIPS builds, which includes things like OpenVPN.

thank you for your reply

this one as only 8MB flash no ideia yet if i replace it with a 16mb chip it will even boot or i need a new Uboot too
rictec
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:33    Post subject: TP-link Acher C7 V1.1 MOD questions Reply with quote
thank you all that info
as far as i read BS made a version for himself at some point
and that version i think have his own wifi card inserted that he replaced

the rest i dont know yet i have been reading a lot about this router as i m supposed to do
rictec
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:47    Post subject: Re: TP-link Acher C7 V1.1 MOD questions Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
rictec wrote:
thank you all that info
as far as i read BS made a version for himself at some point
and that version i think have his own wifi card inserted that he replaced

the rest i dont know yet i have been reading a lot about this router as i m supposed to do

Wow, seems mighty risky for BS to post that v1 build without any release notes. I can just see some naive user coming along and not realizing what that really is.

that is true in a way but if he does flash something on his router its his own fault i will keep on reading and testing only thing i notice diferent on mine are cosmetic like other vendor ram and flash rest its a v1.1 model
rictec
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 15:22    Post subject: updated info Reply with quote
my 16mb chips didnt arrive yet i have to wait for them
i also dont know if i can just flash the chip with the bin file or if i have to somehow convert the in file to some layout compatible to be flashed with a programmer not the web interface or tftp

still getting info any info about this i apreciate thank you
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 17:33    Post subject: OpenWRT wiki Reply with quote
There may be some helpful info here: https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c5-c7-wdr7500

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
rictec
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 17:48    Post subject: Re: OpenWRT wiki Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:
There may be some helpful info here: https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c5-c7-wdr7500

thank you

i have been reading and trying to get the info i need where i can find info on the net

i have no ideia if i m going to hit a wall yet since my goal is
get this v1.1 router backup its stock firmware
get a new 5G wifi and replace the one inside cos of no ath10 support as we all know by now
remove the 8B flash chip and replace with a 16MB one
restore the flash to the 16MB
install DD-WRT on the 16MB

i will run into problems on every step on this but one thing that still bugs me is ..does those bin files are just partial upgrades or they include the entire flash?..dont know yet
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 19:51    Post subject: DD-WRT files Reply with quote
The files for DD-WRT, does not matter for which router only upgrade / overwrite the linux partition on the flash. They do not touch the bootloader, radio or any other partitions.

The good news about the DD-WRT Archer C7 v1 file is that it looks like it was meant to fit on an 8MB flash. That means that in theory, what you are proposing to do should work. (file size is 7872KB for the latest build).

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
rictec
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 16:36    Post subject: first part done with almost 100% good results Reply with quote
hello again
as my 5g card arrived i could replace the cards and make the root boot still with the 8MB chip inside

i flashed the factory to ddwrt replace the cards
then the tplink archer c7 file no problems there

now as i configure the router one thing i cannot do it turn telnet on as soon as i do that i loose access to the router
no user/password work i had to reset and start over

maybe this is a bug on this DD-WRT v3.0-r39825 std (05/19/19)
should i replace it to a previous version or wait for the next one to have this problem fixed?

thank you
rictec
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Have no idea what's happening w/ telnet. How 'bout ssh?

hum i didnt try to turn that one on but wont hurt to try

edit

i cant turn ssh on its greyed out.....
rictec
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
You can enable it on the Administration page until you enable the service (sshd) on the Services page.

ok i did turn on on sshd tryed got this
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
SHA256:bHjRKk5KMtezR79QeM8euKy0GlXAOl+N9OOrisnQjW8.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in C:\\Users\\gamer7/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending RSA key in C:\\Users\\gamer7/.ssh/known_hosts:1
RSA host key for 192.168.0.50 has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.

the i went to administration and turn ssd on applied and got a login request and its the same as telnet no user/pass works
i have to reset the router again

edit
i had some old router on that ip already there so i removed that key and got a new one but still it asked for a password and none of them work

Last edited by rictec on Mon May 20, 2019 17:27; edited 1 time in total
rictec
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
What are the credentials you're using? When I initially configure the router, I specify admin/admin. But access to telnet or ssh require root/admin.

ok i will restore config and use the default root/admin this time
i had rictec/rictec since this is a test router yet
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: