Problem installing DD-wrt on Netgear XR-500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware

Did you install DD-wrt on XR-500?
Yeah it was easy
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Yeah it was a bit complicated
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I couldn't get it to install
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
I'll just wait for the release
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

iLbsLi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 23:55    Post subject: Problem installing DD-wrt on Netgear XR-500 Reply with quote
Hi,

Hope you all are doing well, My problem is when ever I install XR-500 dd-wrt firmware (which ever version on the beta section) my router gets in a brick state, flashing pink on the 4 Ethernet LEDs plus an occasional orange on the power LED, my first intention to flash the firmware was via web page using factory-to-ddwrt.img, then I was able to get it in a working state back in DumaOS using XR500-V2.3.2.40.img downloaded from netgear's website. I've used the ttfp method which I got so used to doing it after few tries using multiple versions which all reacted the same way after flashing.

I was able to go back and forth from brick state to normal state when going back to DumaOS. Any idea why I might be having this problem since most of you seems to get it on with no problems!

I also made sure to erase factory settings but that didn't help!

Any Help is appreciated.

thanks
Sponsor
shauno100
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 21:16    Post subject: Re: Problem installing DD-wrt on Netgear XR-500 Reply with quote
iLbsLi wrote:
Hi,

Hope you all are doing well, My problem is when ever I install XR-500 dd-wrt firmware (which ever version on the beta section) my router gets in a brick state, flashing pink on the 4 Ethernet LEDs plus an occasional orange on the power LED, my first intention to flash the firmware was via web page using factory-to-ddwrt.img, then I was able to get it in a working state back in DumaOS using XR500-V2.3.2.40.img downloaded from netgear's website. I've used the ttfp method which I got so used to doing it after few tries using multiple versions which all reacted the same way after flashing.

I was able to go back and forth from brick state to normal state when going back to DumaOS. Any idea why I might be having this problem since most of you seems to get it on with no problems!

Any Help is appreciated.

thanks

If you haven't already. I'd try and flash https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/12-20-2018-r38060/netgear-xr500/factory-to-ddwrt.img which was the first version with support for XR500 which is what I used initially. Flash through DumaOS as usual and it should tell you it's flashing the same version (I.e. 2.3.2.40) and to confirm even though it's a DD WRT image.

If that doesn't work then there must be something different with your XR500 as myself and a few others have had no issues.

Hope this helps.
iLbsLi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 21:48    Post subject: Re: Problem installing DD-wrt on Netgear XR-500 Reply with quote
Thank you so much for replying, unfortunately I did try the 38060, the last one from 3/27th and a bunch in the middle, they all acted the same with the pink tinted LED flashing at the start looping over and over. I guess it's must be something to do with my router, the only thing I haven't tried is using firmwares from other models like the xr450, maybe that'll work! I'm just glad I didn't brick my router, and now that I know how to handle it I'm just gonna keep flashing it until I get a working one.

Still if anyone have any idea please let us know.

thanks

shauno100 wrote:
iLbsLi wrote:
Hi,

Any Help is appreciated.

thanks

If you haven't already. I'd try and flash https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/12-20-2018-r38060/netgear-xr500/factory-to-ddwrt.img which was the first version with support for XR500 which is what I used initially. Flash through DumaOS as usual and it should tell you it's flashing the same version (I.e. 2.3.2.40) and to confirm even though it's a DD WRT image.

If that doesn't work then there must be something different with your XR500 as myself and a few others have had no issues.

Hope this helps.
shauno100
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 22:28    Post subject: Re: Problem installing DD-wrt on Netgear XR-500 Reply with quote
iLbsLi wrote:
Thank you so much for replying, unfortunately I did try the 38060, the last one from 3/27th and a bunch in the middle, they all acted the same with the pink tinted LED flashing at the start looping over and over. I guess it's must be something to do with my router, the only thing I haven't tried is using firmwares from other models like the xr450, maybe that'll work! I'm just glad I didn't brick my router, and now that I know how to handle it I'm just gonna keep flashing it until I get a working one.

Still if anyone have any idea please let us know.

thanks

shauno100 wrote:
iLbsLi wrote:
Hi,

Any Help is appreciated.

thanks

Hope this helps.

No worries mate. I'd steer clear of putting XR450 firmware on there though. I know they're basically the same device but not worth it if the XR500 image is not taking.
iLbsLi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 16:35    Post subject: Re: Problem installing DD-wrt on Netgear XR-500 Reply with quote
I just wanted to let you know that I have been trying all the new updates and still my router won't start when updated, so any help is appreciated!
iLbsLi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still nothing?
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
AFAIK BS did not have a router to test his port. I think all he did was update the ids and ram memsize.

I asked for a unit half a year ago never heard anything from them.

Thus, my guess is unless someone gets a hold on this unit, there won't be a fix.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
AFAIK BS did not have a router to test his port. I think all he did was update the ids and ram memsize.

Thus, my guess is unless someone gets a hold on this unit, there won't be a fix.

BS testing ports> HA....... like BS gives a shit...

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

iLbsLi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anybody with a success story please post here.

thanks
iLbsLi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
any luck on getting the router?

<Kong> wrote:

shauno100
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all, only saw the latest posts now. I gave away my XR500 last year as i've upgraded. Not sure why so many users had issues flashing DD-WRT on it. Maybe my router (Purchased in Australia) had less restrictions on it or was slightly different (hardware) to the versions that wouldn't allow DD-WRT to be flashed. Doesn't make any sense but that's the only logical thing i can think of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: