Replacement for E3000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Because the cap is so short, the value in regard to mfd, pfd is cut off.

Even so.. if you want to check one of yours for fun..

I don't think I have any interest in replacing caps.

Because I would only need two of these (one'zies + shipping), it would prolly be better to just replace the router(s) in regard to cost of repair vs. a new (used) router.
I was offering to send a few (in case of transit damage) in a letter for free...assuming the reset button is in the US. Smile I've sold some before that way, taped into a cardboard cutout for protection (and USPS rigidity/flatness requirements). Cool Are you talking about this one in the pic below, in the upper right? Unfort can't read it there either, but I'm sure it's less than 300uF, so replacing with a 300uF (25V) would be an upgrade anyway since it's just a buffer cap.

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
The one in that location on the E4200 is a 25V 470uF. Not sure if they use the same exact board configuration, but I just looked at the other one that is open with serial hooked up.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
barryware wrote:
Because the cap is so short, the value in regard to mfd, pfd is cut off.

Even so.. if you want to check one of yours for fun..

I don't think I have any interest in replacing caps.

Because I would only need two of these (one'zies + shipping), it would prolly be better to just replace the router(s) in regard to cost of repair vs. a new (used) router.
I was offering to send a few (in case of transit damage) in a letter for free...assuming the reset button is in the US. Smile I've sold some before that way, taped into a cardboard cutout for protection (and USPS rigidity/flatness requirements). Cool Are you talking about this one in the pic below, in the upper right? Unfort can't read it there either, but I'm sure it's less than 300uF, so replacing with a 300uF (25V) would be an upgrade anyway since it's just a buffer cap.

Hi.. Thanks for the offer.. Indeed the reset button is near Chicago..

What router is that pictured?

The 610V2 and the E3000 have a power switch between the power jack, and the reset button..

The router pictured does not have the power switch.

Attached is a pic of the cap in question.. It is indeed 25V.. But the value can either be 1000 uf, or 10000 uf.

And.. As you can see, this cap shows no signs of leaking or bulging..

DSC02619.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.9 KB
 Viewed:  2046 Time(s)

DSC02619.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well.. A little google'ing..

All 25V 1000 or 10000 uf caps are much taller than the one pictured. Based on diameter, it might be a 10000uf.

My guess.. Might be a super-duper custom cap (value still unknown) to fit in the space available of an E3000.. Not a lot of head room..

EDIT.. More google'ing.. it would be a "low profile" cap..

uf value still unknown (unless I guess)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very loosely based on marking spacing of digits, I'm inclined to think 1000uF. Only way to know for sure is to de-solder it from the board completely, though. OR, find the OEM schematics...

EDIT: Take a magnifying class and look at it. You can see the start of the u for uF. It's 1000 uF, almost guaranteed.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Very loosely based on marking spacing of digits, I'm inclined to think 1000uF. Only way to know for sure is to de-solder it from the board completely, though. OR, find the OEM schematics...

Thanks for the input.. If the cap is indeed bad, testing it will not show the correct value.

I regard to finding Linksys (cisco) schematics.. Not possible.

I've been away for a bit but when I used to look for the data, it is not available. They guard this data very closely.

Just like the OEM firmware.. No longer available cuz they got sued for open source infringements so they had to remove all firmware for download. Their drivers are not available except for the compiled versions (binary blob). That is why there was never any support for some Linksys (cisco) routers that had a USB radio (E3200, which I bought just to help add dd-wrt support)

I appreciate all the input.. It is fun getting back into a challenge.

As said.. I am really not interested in replacing caps (but you never know).. For 30 bucks, I can just replace the router.

Carry on..

Another Edit: @Kernel.. I think you are correct.. If you look at the other characters, The "c" on con, lines up with the last 0 of the value.

So.. It appears that it is a 25V 1000uf, low profile capacitor.

7 bucks on e-bay + shipping.. Not worth it. If I were to replace that one cap, I would do the others which I have 470uf.. As said, parts + the time required.. 30 bucks (or so) replaces the device.

Thanks to everyone who was contributing / looking out for me..

It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Still time to set up a "go-fund-me" for Barryware.. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep...that would be 25V @ 1000uF. I just checked my working unit.

If you have a 920uF or 1200uF you could probably get away with it but I wouldn't go outside that range. You'll change the unregulated voltage by too much.

I've changed Caps out in an old Asus WL-500W router years ago. I didn't have the exact cap value on hand and went a bit larger (I think it was originally 1500uF and I used 1800uF)....anyway...it was a 5V router and after the cap replacement it ran at 5.3V. It wasn't a problem...it still was running about 4 years ago when I shut it down.

red

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
@barryware,I'm working towards a position to accept any and all dead hardware donations to give me something to occupy my time (not like I don't have a mountain of things to try and catch up on Rolling Eyes ). Because it's always worth it... or maybe I'm just a little crazy or eccentric, perhaps Wink But seriously, I understand. @redhawk0, thanks for the confirm.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Hi.. Thanks for the offer.. Indeed the reset button is near Chicago..

What router is that pictured?
I think it was something referenced from wikidevi or the openwrt wiki.

Right on, guess I'm close to the reset button too. I'm between Indy and Chicago (and South Bend) not irregularly. Razz

1000uF low profile was surprising...though I guess all the bad caps I've replaced were in older routers than the E-series. I'm sure I've got 1-1.5mF 25v+ cap, but def not low-pro. :-/ Nothin' a drill bit can't fix... Cool

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
nolimitz wrote:

was about to order one for a friend. which seller sent you those without the power supplies?

The seller was "Precision ElectroSales" but it was fulfilled by Amazon.

My guess is the guys at Amazon putting the order in the box forgot to add power supplies.

I tried in vain to resolve the issue with Amazon.. After much frustration, I just returned the router(s).

I do not believe the seller was the problem. The routers were perfect.. All shrink wrapped with a cat 5 cable included in the wrap. Just no power supplies and because the order was "fulfilled by Amazon", the order pickers did not pick the power supplies (I suspect).

so i received my router from Amazon (sold by Convert A LLC), it comes in a shipping bag with R6300v2 label on the outer bag, the bag has network cable, power adapter and router inside. so your seller didnt include the adapter actually because it seems to me Amazon fulfillment will just take them as packed by the seller.

note that the adapter i received is 120Volts only, i wanted one that is 110-240v but i have another one around so its okay.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: