Consistently having problems with 5GHz radio on newer builds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
bripab007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:39    Post subject: Consistently having problems with 5GHz radio on newer builds Reply with quote
For quite a while I stayed on R37945 with my R7500v2 because it was so stable. I think I then jumped to 38150 and have also tried 38500 and 38535.

Without having made any changes to the wi-fi settings, each one of these newer builds has introduced a problem whereby the 5GHz radio only allows download speeds from the WAN to clients to hit ~5Mbits, as opposed to my usual ~150Mbits.

If I make any change to the 5GHz radio settings--say, for example, changing the channel or turning on/off beamforming, etc.--it'll return to normal, but only temporarily. It'll probably flare back up a few hours later.

Sometimes it takes days for the problem to arise, but when it does, it usually continues to flare up until the router is rebooted.

For a while on dd-wrt Kong builds, I've been using AC-N Mixed, 161 LL, noise immunity ON, short preamble ON, short GI ON, protection mode NONE, both single and multi-user beamforming ON, and airtime fairness ON.

I've tried turning off some of these things, but the problem comes back pretty quickly afterwards usually. I've not spent the time to apply these changes and then reboot after each one to try to isolate, only letting the radio re-initialize.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

jerrytouille
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Working perfectly fine for me. Screenshots your settings nvram erase ddup flash kong latest test build reconfigure from scratch
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:05    Post subject: Re: Consistently having problems with 5GHz radio on newer bu Reply with quote
bripab007 wrote:
For quite a while I stayed on R37945 with my R7500v2 because it was so stable. I think I then jumped to 38150 and have also tried 38500 and 38535.

Without having made any changes to the wi-fi settings, each one of these newer builds has introduced a problem whereby the 5GHz radio only allows download speeds from the WAN to clients to hit ~5Mbits, as opposed to my usual ~150Mbits.

If I make any change to the 5GHz radio settings--say, for example, changing the channel or turning on/off beamforming, etc.--it'll return to normal, but only temporarily. It'll probably flare back up a few hours later.

Sometimes it takes days for the problem to arise, but when it does, it usually continues to flare up until the router is rebooted.

For a while on dd-wrt Kong builds, I've been using AC-N Mixed, 161 LL, noise immunity ON, short preamble ON, short GI ON, protection mode NONE, both single and multi-user beamforming ON, and airtime fairness ON.

I've tried turning off some of these things, but the problem comes back pretty quickly afterwards usually. I've not spent the time to apply these changes and then reboot after each one to try to isolate, only letting the radio re-initialize.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

Before performing a factory reset- which may fix things...
See my signature for best qca settings for beacon interval.
Turn off MU-MIMO and turn off noise immunity.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
jerrytouille
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer where did you get the beacon interval being prime numbers from? interesting...
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
jerrytouille wrote:
msoengineer where did you get the beacon interval being prime numbers from? interesting...

Being an Engineering Geek!
and lot's of reading...

LONG/SHORT:
Choosing from among a list of prime numbers makes it less likely that your beacons will "chirp" in sync with the beacons of other networks. Since beacons can collide as well, it makes sense to choose an interval that is unlikely to align with neighboring networks for very long.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
jerrytouille
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
that’s neat! learn sthing new everyday thanks for sharing
iotola
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
jerrytouille wrote:

Being an Engineering Geek!
and lot's of reading...

LONG/SHORT:
Choosing from among a list of prime numbers makes it less likely that your beacons will "chirp" in sync with the beacons of other networks. Since beacons can collide as well, it makes sense to choose an interval that is unlikely to align with neighboring networks for very long.

Slightly off topic, but using prime numbers is the same trick cicadas use not to all come out in the same year. See this link

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2001/11/27/421251.htm
bripab007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's good information, thank you.

I just upgraded to the R38840M Kong build, so I guess I'll wait to see how that one goes before I make any other changes.

Yes, I had left the beamforming on both my R7500v2 main router and my broadcom R7000 WAP for a long time because it always seemed to work fine. I haven't really played with any of my settings for a long time because they'd been so solid.

My traditional settings on the R7500v2 have been:

AC/N-Mixed
VHT80
161 - LL
default tx power & antenna gain
U-APSD - Disable
Noise immunity - Enable
Protection Mode - None
RTS threshold - Disable
Short preamble - Enable
Short GI - Enable
Single user beamforming - Enable
Multi user beamforming - Enable
default tx/rx chains
AP isolation - Disable
Beacon interval - 100 (I'll change this to a prime #)
DTIM interval - 2 (default)
Airtime fairness - Enable
Frame compression - Disabled
WMM support - Enable
Radar detection - Disable
scan list - default
Sensitivity ACK timing - 1350
Max associated clients - 256 (default)
Default for all "Drop clients with low signal" config

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mine r7500v2 38840m:

Mixed (for PS4 pro to work)
VHT80
149-uu
default tx power & antenna gain
U-APSD - Disable
Noise immunity - Enable
Protection Mode - cts
RTS threshold - Disable
Short preamble - Enable
Short GI - Enable
Single user beamforming - Enable
Multi user beamforming - disable
default tx/rx chains
AP isolation - Disable
Beacon interval - 181
DTIM interval - 2 (default)
Airtime fairness - disable
Frame compression - Disabled
WMM support - Enable
Radar detection - Disable
scan list - default
Sensitivity ACK timing - 1800 (for mbair to work correctly)
Max associated clients - 32 (doesnt really matter just my pref)
Default for all "Drop clients with low signal" config
bripab007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again for taking the time to post your settings. I finally found a setting that appears to have made a discernible effect: airtime fairness set to disabled.

After setting ATF to disabled, I've been running speed tests on various devices in various parts of the house, and it has yet to revert to the weird slow 5GHz radio behavior.

So I posit that either a) doing a bunch of ddup upgrades without ever clearing NVRAM and re-config'ing has finally caught up with me or b) there's been some change in the Qualcomm drivers with regard to ATF that is affecting my devices and/or a bit buggy with the R7500v2's IPQ806X chip.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
drivers for qca9984 are complete shit right now, and ddwrt's "behind the scenes" auto tuning/lack of "advanced" features isnt helping

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: