D-Link DIR-878 A1 Support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
casualtester
DD-WRT User


Joined: 13 Dec 2015
Posts: 245

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
ricopicouk wrote:
... any suggestions for me of a simular spec router ideally that supports DD-WRT / OpenWrt?

Cheers


You may have better results with routers supported by Kong.
Few models mentioned in existing thread: New (KONG) Build - 11/24/2018 - r37845M
Sponsor
cyyong95
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 20 Nov 2018
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone found a way to fix the stupid restart issue?
casualtester
DD-WRT User


Joined: 13 Dec 2015
Posts: 245

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
cyyong95 wrote:
anyone found a way to fix the stupid restart issue?


Not aware of any.

You could give the current 12-04-2018-r37908 release a try.
Encountered various issues with all the releases after the 10-10-2018-r37305. Perhaps 12-04-2018-r37908 which currently has uptime of 15 hours for me anyways, will be the one.
edilima
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 09 Apr 2016
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
casualtester wrote:
cyyong95 wrote:
anyone found a way to fix the stupid restart issue?


Not aware of any.

You could give the current 12-04-2018-r37908 release a try.
Encountered various issues with all the releases after the 10-10-2018-r37305. Perhaps 12-04-2018-r37908 which currently has uptime of 15 hours for me anyways, will be the one.


That's promissing news. I will give r37908 a try.
Have you tested any advanced features such as QoS or OpenVPN ?
casualtester
DD-WRT User


Joined: 13 Dec 2015
Posts: 245

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
edilima wrote:
... Have you tested any advanced features such as QoS or OpenVPN ?


No issues encountered with using QoS for three days of uptime.
Not sure if the reboot after three days was caused by someone unplugging the router at the location while mopping or whether it was a router problem.
Note: The features Shortcut Forwarding Engine was disabled when QoS was used, since there were some negative feedbacks from users here.

Halting 12-04-2018-r37908 test for now.
Testing the 12-08-2018-r37932 release.
casualtester
DD-WRT User


Joined: 13 Dec 2015
Posts: 245

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update:
Back to using 10-10-2018-r37305 release.
Uptime: 7 days until scheduled reboot.

The 12-04-2018-r37908, 12-08-2018-r37932 and 12-12-2018-r37961 releases all rebooted when under heavy traffic?/torrent? load via LAN port connection.

Update:
Did not encounter any unscheduled reboots with the 12-20-2018-r38060 release.
Uptime: 3 days until testing halted for new release.
dj_sweat
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 25 Feb 2019
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, I used DD WRT for many years and I did not needed to add post on forum, but yesterday I found an hint for DIR-878 router, if you encounter Wi-Fi wrong behaviour or reseting of router try to decrease the power of Wi-Fi antennas, from 100 to 80, for me it is working, 80mW seems to be fine.

I have the same issues related to post from 6th page with WI-FI speed, the Wi-Fi speed is low in 2.4G, the link speed is 144 or 130 reported in control panel. The 5.0G link is 1400,
On lan cable 1G the speed is fine ~ 940Mb in tests with the ISP.
Firmware date: 10 10 2018

I reseted to default but the 2.4G speed is limited to 130-144 Mb,
If you know to be some optimal settings please inform me, I do not want to revert to original d-link firmware,
Smile

Regards
zeny1
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 17 May 2018
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Switched out from DD-WRT back to D-Link firmware.I haven't had a restart in about 2 days. How great it feels to go on without any reboots. Shame I can't customize as much as I can, but boy is peace of mind of not getting a router reboot in the middle of a competitive game or in the middle of a champions league game or a great game like the one this weekend Chelsea vs Man city.
SoLoR
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 21 Jan 2019
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I managed to grab exact kernel panic that restarts router, posted bug on svn, lets hope it gets fixed....
zeny1
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 17 May 2018
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
SoLoR wrote:
I managed to grab exact kernel panic that restarts router, posted bug on svn, lets hope it gets fixed....


God bless you son. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon and I can come back Smile
SoLoR
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 21 Jan 2019
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
zeny1 wrote:
SoLoR wrote:
I managed to grab exact kernel panic that restarts router, posted bug on svn, lets hope it gets fixed....


God bless you son. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon and I can come back Smile


Well i wouldnt get my hopes up tbh Smile I was contemplating of making my own dd wrt build with updated kernel/mt_wifi, however not sure if i screw up something if i can still access recovery mode...

Because honestly dir878 with dd-wrt is useless as it is now, resets at minimum once/day (if you dont do much on wifi at all - phone/tablet usage) and i can always force it to reset with a intentional high load.

Also original firmware where wifi works fine is severely limited for my usage, so its kinda useless in that direction...
zeny1
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 17 May 2018
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
SoLoR wrote:
zeny1 wrote:
SoLoR wrote:
I managed to grab exact kernel panic that restarts router, posted bug on svn, lets hope it gets fixed....


God bless you son. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon and I can come back Smile


Well i wouldnt get my hopes up tbh Smile I was contemplating of making my own dd wrt build with updated kernel/mt_wifi, however not sure if i screw up something if i can still access recovery mode...

Because honestly dir878 with dd-wrt is useless as it is now, resets at minimum once/day (if you dont do much on wifi at all - phone/tablet usage) and i can always force it to reset with a intentional high load.

Also original firmware where wifi works fine is severely limited for my usage, so its kinda useless in that direction...


Agreed, the stock firmware is garbage, but at least there's no damn reboots. I'm hoping one of the guys see this thread and fix the issue you found.
SoLoR
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 21 Jan 2019
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
BTW i dont have problems anymore, im on build r39267 with uptime almost 6 days.
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User


Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Posts: 231

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I saw no reboots with my 878 and stock FW loaded. v1.11 and v1.12 Wink
traysh
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 14 Jan 2012
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm thinking of buying this router and install dd-wrt. There are not many dd-wrt supported routers where I live.

Are the reboots gone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum