Linksys ea8500 port is ready

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 123, 124, 125  Next
ejaf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all...having weird issue now regarding my upgrade to v3.0-r37495M kongat (10/28/18 ).

- Have same ssid for both 2.4 and 5 (which was previous setting).
- Security Mode is set to WPA2-PSK and AES (WPA2 Personal is not an option in the dropdown).

When signal too weak to get to the 5GHz connection, my devices are having trouble dropping down to the 2.4 connection (authorization, retries, etc. etc.), which has the same settings and shared key.

Funny, I tried to enable logging, and it's not showing anything being logged (have it set to medium).

Any ideas on troubleshooting this issue?

TIA...Eric
Sponsor
ejaf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK...figured out the log issue (don't ask, it was an RTFM issue), and I upgraded to v3.0-r37945M kongat (12/10/1Cool.

Seems as if some of my devices are having problems authenticating to ath0, but not to ath1.

lots of messages regarding " did not acknowledge authentication response".

Any ideas?
ejaf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Apologies for all the noise on the thread here...

I've gone to release r38065M after reading mrjcd's page, and it seems to have the fixes for my authentication issue.

Wanted to actually go through the release notes, but it seems as if there isn't much documentation regarding the fixes merged into the trunk branch (I'm assuming that that is how the dev cycle is working, been a long time since I have done that sort of work).

After applying that release, the log has cleared up, as far as the specific message is concerned.

Eric
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad you got it sorted .... if you want newer builds I suggest read all 'New Build' threads in this forum.
Find one that most all agree is working well or just be prepared to make changes / or reinstall known good working build. Cool
Steve60914
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok so 1, idk why ppl saying the 8500 is great, there's a reason why im here. I gotta restart the darned thing 6 times a day. internet will just drop, not the connection itself... you'll be in the middle of streaming and suddenly boom no internet. Connected directly to the modem that doesn't happen which leaves the router. Which brings me to 2. I saw the firmware is now encrypted, also saw someone talking about reverting to old firmware. 1, which firmware are we downgrading to? 2, where do we get it and 3, afterward which one of the multiple factory to ddwrt from kongs do i need? Each one i try says its not the correct type or whatever and cannot be "installed" i don't remember the exact phrasing but thats what the routers firmware page is telling me when i try.

[/img]
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Steve60914 wrote:
1, which firmware are we downgrading to? 2, where do we get it and 3, afterward which one of the multiple factory to ddwrt from kongs do i need? Each one i try says its not the correct type or whatever and cannot be "installed" i don't remember the exact phrasing but thats what the routers firmware page is telling me when i try.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1119053#1119053

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
Steve60914
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
Steve60914 wrote:
1, which firmware are we downgrading to? 2, where do we get it and 3, afterward which one of the multiple factory to ddwrt from kongs do i need? Each one i try says its not the correct type or whatever and cannot be "installed" i don't remember the exact phrasing but thats what the routers firmware page is telling me when i try.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1119053#1119053

Thank you good sir.
Steve60914
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh wow, yeah thats beyond my experience level. Should have spent more on my router haha. I could have done it if it was as simple as uploading an old firmware and then installing ddwrt after that lol. serial and pins and usb to whatever haha yeah nope i'll have to deal haha
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Steve60914 wrote:
oh wow, yeah thats beyond my experience level. Should have spent more on my router haha. I could have done it if it was as simple as uploading an old firmware and then installing ddwrt after that lol. serial and pins and usb to whatever haha yeah nope i'll have to deal haha

The only real challenge for the whole process will be if you don't have the header pins installed; in which case you simply use a paperclip and a soldering iron...If you have those skills this is a really easy thing to get going. It's worth the hassle.

If you don't own a soldering iron... then it's a pain.

If you're at all mechanically inclined...MRJCD's step's are very easy to follow and get dd-wrt on the EA8500.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R7800] resting
cuher
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,

I recently flashed my EA8500 to DD-WRT(Kong's build) and cannot be happier. My TP-LINK HS105 outlets no longer disconnect every couple of minutes, and I have a real shared printer.

Most recently, I'm trying to set up a WDS client (a non-DD-WRT one) connecting to the EA8500, and I'm having some trouble getting the WDS client into the local network. That is, from the WDS client (192.168.1.2), I could not ping the EA8500 (192.168.1.1). On the info page of EA8500, the TX rate of the client stuck at 1Mb regardless of the signal strength.

After trials and errors, I figured out that, I must go to Wireless-WDS of the EA8500 and, without changing anything, click on "Apply Settings" every time to fix the problem. After clicking on the "Apply Settings," the router seems to restart services and clear the connected clients. When the router is ready, the WDS client can connect to the EA8500 and also the Internet. The TX rate also becomes normal.

Every time I reboot the client router, I have to redo the procedure above.

I have some experience with Linux but not much with networking. Given the successful network connection after the procedure, I guess my WDS settings should be fine. It might be some services related to WDS or DHCP(?) not initialized or reloaded properly.

I'm going to try the latest test build later today. Please kindly correct me if I'm wrong. Also, please kindly suggest any debugging I can help with or steps for fixing.

EA 8500 Firmware: v3.0-r37495M kongat (10/28/18 )
WDS Client: TP-Link TL-WR841N v9 (China Version)
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
cuher wrote:
Hi all,

I recently flashed my EA8500 to DD-WRT(Kong's build) and cannot be happier. My TP-LINK HS105 outlets no longer disconnect every couple of minutes, and I have a real shared printer.

Most recently, I'm trying to set up a WDS client (a non-DD-WRT one) connecting to the EA8500, and I'm having some trouble getting the WDS client into the local network. That is, from the WDS client (192.168.1.2), I could not ping the EA8500 (192.168.1.1). On the info page of EA8500, the TX rate of the client stuck at 1Mb regardless of the signal strength.

EA 8500 Firmware: v3.0-r37495M kongat (10/28/18 )
WDS Client: TP-Link TL-WR841N v9 (China Version)

The TL-WR841N is only a single band 2.4ghz router, No 5ghz.
To the best of my understanding, you would need to have 2.4ghz & 5ghz to be able to perform WDS properly. The EA8500 would broadcast over 5ghz to the WR841N. Then the WR841N would send out the internet received through 5ghz to 2.4ghz. Very simplified explanation.

Also, the QCA9533 has shit performance on other routers for 5ghz wifi and often drops out. Long&Short, you need to get a dual band router to get WDS to work well. Also, they have to use the same chipsets- No mixing Broadcom and Qualcom. You won't be able to do much with that WR841N, It has no RAM to do anything, and only 10/100 to boot....Sorry, but you'll need to invest in something more powerful to get better WDS going.

[R7800] resting
ejaf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
All...having a weird (I think) issue running Kong release r38065M, and am hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

The EA8500 is running as an AP, connected to another dd-wrt gateway, which is the DHCP server.

I have several wifi clients connecting to the EA8500, and two hard wired into it.

When looking at the status pages, I see one of the hardwired clients, but not the other. The one I see is my laptop, which I had connected a while ago, via ethernet, and I guess it hasn't let go of the lease on br0.
The other hardwired client is an Nvidia Shield, running Android Oreo. It does not show up in the list of attached clients on the LAN at all. When I get it's MAC address, I see it attached on the gateway (not the EA8500), but for the life of me, don't see it attached on any page on the AP. The only thing I noticed different is that it seems to have ipV6 enabled.

Is their anyone experiencing this? Could be something to do with ipV6, which on both the AP and gateway, are set to disabled. I also see on the Nvidia shield both an ip4 address and an ipv6 address, and on the gateway status, I see the MAC address of the Shield, although the last two bytes are different than what's reported in the Android settings.

Anyone have a clue as to where I should look as far as figuring this out? I started reading on how to enable ipV6 on the dd-wrt routers, but that is sending me down a huge rabbit hole.

TIA...Eric
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I presume the AP is connected LAN-LAN with the gateway router. The keyword is the ARP table. As the Gateway router have given the DHCP lease, the AP will not have any knowledge of the client node if it have not communicated with it. Try to access the GUI of the AP from that client.

Note: IPv6 have a mode called SLAAC, where the last part of the address is the MAC address with some bytes swapped. Enable IPv6 if your ISP is supporting it.
ejaf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the input.

AP is connected LAN-LAN, and the gateway is the one giving DHCP leases.
Not understanding the sentence "Try to access the GUI of the AP from that client." You mean the Shield, which I presume is running ipv6? Can try that later, although since it's running android TV, there is no built in web browser, so I will have to figure that out.

I will also read up on SLAAC, to understand that more, and will look at enabling IPv6, since I think it is supported.

Eric
ejaf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK...now I'm confused.

On the status page, under the LAN tab, I see one active client on the AP. It is a laptop, which is connecting via wifi, and I see it's mac address on the Wireless tab as well.

It's running windows 10, and is getting it's IP from my gateway.

Anyone know why I'm seeing this behavior? I have one other device hardwired into the AP, but it doesn't show up anywhere on the status pages on the AP, only on the gateway.

Any clues where to look, or ask this question?

Thanks in advance...Eric
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 123, 124, 125  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 114 of 125
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: