R9000 - wifi issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
gomfedj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 18:32    Post subject: R9000 - wifi issue Reply with quote
Greetings,

I recently upgraded to a CM1150V and a week later to a R9000 netgear router with Kongs 38100m firmware (was previously running a AC68R with a DD-wrt Kong build form a year and a half ago). I have noticed something odd happening however and I can't seem to solve it.

After a wifi device is connected for ~ 24 hours or so, it gets into a weird situation where it shows connected, but when i try to go to any website it says i am connected to a "unsecured" location (every website turns to HTTPS from HTTP) and it tells me i need to "login" to get a secure connection, if i hit that button it redirects me to the activate page for my comcast device as if i needed to reauthorize my cable "modem" with comcast.

A disconnect/reconnect on the wifi for PC(s) clears up the issue, however on two samsung S8's the only way to clear it is a reboot of the phones.

I don't believe this is an issue with the CM1150V, because the hard wired devices work just fine. I suspect i have something set wrong on my new R9000 but not sure what, any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

Quick Edit, had my first wired PC show this same behavior, so I am moving away from suspecting the R9000/DD-WRT, just surprised it worked for 4 or so days on the AC-68R and then suddenly started this oddness after upgrading the router.

reactivated the modem again via the web portal will see if this clears it up.

Last edited by gomfedj on Sun Feb 17, 2019 19:37; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know your ISP, but I have seen this behaviour when you configure a 3. party DNS server instead of your ISP's DNS. The DNS lookup is part of the authentication process.
gomfedj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
I don't know your ISP, but I have seen this behaviour when you configure a 3. party DNS server instead of your ISP's DNS. The DNS lookup is part of the authentication process.

Interesting i do use internal DNS servers (run a win domain) that then refer too googles DNS servers for all non internal queries.

I was doing that previously but perhaps comcast changed something, they are my ISP
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you enabled PPPoE on the modem?

Can you set it in bridge mode?

Otherwise set your internal DNS server to use the modem as upstream server.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Have you enabled PPPoE on the modem?

Can you set it in bridge mode?

Otherwise set your internal DNS server to use the modem as upstream server.

PPPoE is used for DSL lines; as best I know...
gomfedj is using a cable modem; which means it's already a bridge device. The only extra feature of this modem is that it handles VOIP from the ISP.

@gomfedj: This modem does support Link Aggregation (LAG) for 2gig+ service. I believe by default anything up to 1gig will use Port 1, speeds beyond that will require you to do LAG.

My guess is that you need to add some commands to the services>DNSMASQ>Additional Dnsmasq Options section to make sure you're setting the DNS servers correctly if you have the DNSMASQ option turned on under Setup>Basic Setup>Network Address Server Settings (DHCP) section.
Make sure to also add the DNS servers in Setup>Network Address Server Settings (DHCP) section and use all three; if you only spec 2, the third one will become your ISP DNS.

Use these commands under the services tab. As best I know the last server in the list is the first to be used when you use these lines(edit the DNS servers to your choice, these are the one's I use):

Code:

domain-needed
bogus-priv
no-resolv
server=1.1.1.1
server=149.112.112.112
server=9.9.9.9
no-negcache

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)

Last edited by msoengineer on Fri Aug 02, 2019 13:37; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: