TP Link Archer C8, unbricked, but now no lights working.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tonyvsuk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 13:51    Post subject: TP Link Archer C8, unbricked, but now no lights working. Reply with quote
Hi all,

I made the schoolboy error of not reading the instructions properly when flashing DDWRT to my TP Link Archer C8. But have managed to recover it to a working state again.

Only issue is that now, none of the LEDs work on the unit (there are 6 on the front). None of them are working at all. I probably overwrote something I shouldn't have done when bricking the router in the first place.

I've searched through all the settings in the web-interface, and cannot find anything. Does anyone know if I can get the lights working again?

Thanks in advance,

Tony.
Sponsor
Jeeves
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 17:29    Post subject: Re: TP Link Archer C8, unbricked, but now no lights working. Reply with quote
tonyvsuk wrote:
Hi all,

I made the schoolboy error of not reading the instructions properly when flashing DDWRT to my TP Link Archer C8. But have managed to recover it to a working state again.

Only issue is that now, none of the LEDs work on the unit (there are 6 on the front). None of them are working at all. I probably overwrote something I shouldn't have done when bricking the router in the first place.

I've searched through all the settings in the web-interface, and cannot find anything. Does anyone know if I can get the lights working again?

Thanks in advance,

Tony.

Hi Tony, I followed the instructions on my v1 C8 and still have bricked it. Can I ask how you recovered and were you completely successful in getting it back to an operating state? As of right now, after I reset to factory config and uploaded the "factory-to-ddwrt.bin", my router just sits there and slowly flashes all front panel LED's on, then off, then on...

Thanks,
J
tonyvsuk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good question. My memory is sketchy on this as it was a while ago.

I think it was following the instructions in
https://www.trishtech.com/2015/06/unbrick-tplink-wr740n-wifi-router/

Mine still has the LED issues. But the router does work.
delhite2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 16:09    Post subject: Re: TP Link Archer C8, unbricked, but now no lights working. Reply with quote
Jeeves wrote:
tonyvsuk wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Tony.

Hi Tony, I followed the instructions on my v1 C8 and still have bricked it. Can I ask how you recovered and were you completely successful in getting it back to an operating state? As of right now, after I reset to factory config and uploaded the "factory-to-ddwrt.bin", my router just sits there and slowly flashes all front panel LED's on, then off, then on...

Thanks,
J

I have tried updating my c8 twice with end result being same as your.
Eveb tftp recovery doesn't resolve as although the firmware is fetched by the router it seems not to write it to flash.
Tried tftp recovery with both original and ddwrt firmwares with no positive result.
The second time I tried flashing ddwrt with even more care and precise instructions, (i had just recovered it by ultimately flashing a wholeflash dump) & still end result is a 12-15 second boot loop & again no recovery via tftp (it pulls the file though again). Again recovered using wholeflash dump.
I have flashed over a dozen routers and this has happened to me i think the first time.
Something is a miss with the factory to ddwrt for C8 for sure.
Thankfully lights work fine even though my firmware is for C8 v2, you can try that too, even if you think u overwrotr something in flash, u can recover via the file, it's at the end of official c8 support page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: