Link aggregation on ports 3 & 4 --> Netgear R7000

joaoabs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 17:43    Post subject: Link aggregation on ports 3 & 4 --> Netgear R7000 Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm using DD-WRT v3.0-r38100M kongac (12/27/2018) on a Netgear R7000.

In my home I have two CAT5e links between each floor, so I'd like to implement a 2GB trunk (Link aggregation) on each pair. for that, I have the R7000 in the attic and two TL-SG108E in the groundfloor and basement, respectively (diagram attached).

Why? Because even though I have 1GB cards/links in my PC, NAS, mediacenter, etc, the real bandwidth is never close to that. If I use 2GB trunks I know I'll also not be close to 2GB but at least I expect to be over 1GB and therefore I believe I'll be able to get much closer to 1GB.
Another reason may also be because I'm a geek and would like to learn how to do it Very Happy .

Anyway, I saw the option "Link Aggregation on Ports 3 & 4" in the dd-wrt GUI and tried it. Obviously I also configured a LAG group in the corresponding ports in the TL-SG108e switch, but it's not working. The switch complains about a possible loop.I wonder if the protocols are the same or if I need to add something more in the dd-wrt configuration (like I had to do when configuring the VLANs. the GUI configuration is not enough).

Between the TL-SG10e's switches I was able to configure the 2GB trunnk and it's working great. Just need to understand if its possible to do it in a R7000 with dd-wrt (I hope so, otherwise why is that option there? Smile )

I have seen old threads mentioning that it's not advised to do it, but I hope dd-wrt and the routers HW have evolved since then that makes it worthwhile.

So my question is: How to configure properly that link aggregation option in DD-WRT (Kong build)?
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried port 1&2? Ports are often counted backwards than the markin on the casing.

Unplug the port and see if it goes red in the GUI.
joaoabs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for replying back.

I haven't tried it, as I'm sure I'm using the ports dd-wrt recognizes as 3 & 4. Please see the screen capture attached (port 3 is now disconnected because otherwise I'd loose connectivity towards the rest of the network).

From your comment, should I assume that it's supposed to work nowadays?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: