Unable to upgrade wrt1900ac v1 from stock firmware

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Aaronac8
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 13:14    Post subject: Unable to upgrade wrt1900ac v1 from stock firmware Reply with quote
I had DDWRT firmware (from 6/2018) on my router and decided to upgrade to a newer version. I used telnet to switch partitions, which brought me to the stock firmware and then tried to upgrade to a newer version of DDWRT but after doing this the router boots back into the stock firmware. I try to telnet into my router to change partitions but I get an error message that says the connection is refused. Any suggestions on how to load DDWRT onto my router?
Sponsor
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 13:35    Post subject: Re: Unable to upgrade wrt1900ac v1 from stock firmware Reply with quote
Aaronac8 wrote:
I had DDWRT firmware (from 6/2018) on my router and decided to upgrade to a newer version. I used telnet to switch partitions, which brought me to the stock firmware and then tried to upgrade to a newer version of DDWRT but after doing this the router boots back into the stock firmware. I try to telnet into my router to change partitions but I get an error message that says the connection is refused. Any suggestions on how to load DDWRT onto my router?

Are you precious about your Linksys partition? If not, then just Webflash from the DD-WRT partition.

If you really want to retain the Linksys partition (why?), then you may need to downgrade the stock firmware version first. I suggest v1.1.8 as this is known to work.

Here: http://www.userdrivers.com/LAN-Network-Adapter/Linksys-WRT1900AC-Router-Firmware-Update-1-1-8-161917/download/

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/
Aaronac8
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 14:33    Post subject: Re: Unable to upgrade wrt1900ac v1 from stock firmware Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
Aaronac8 wrote:

Are you precious about your Linksys partition? If not, then just Webflash from the DD-WRT partition.

If you really want to retain the Linksys partition (why?), then you may need to downgrade the stock firmware version first. I suggest v1.1.8 as this is known to work.

Here: http://www.userdrivers.com/LAN-Network-Adapter/Linksys-WRT1900AC-Router-Firmware-Update-1-1-8-161917/download/

How do I webflash from the DD-WRT partition? I can not telnet into my router to get to that partition.
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 15:07    Post subject: Re: Unable to upgrade wrt1900ac v1 from stock firmware Reply with quote
Aaronac8 wrote:
Yemble wrote:
Aaronac8 wrote:

How do I webflash from the DD-WRT partition? I can not telnet into my router to get to that partition.

If you can only boot to stock, but not DD-WRT via the triple power toggle technique (NOT telnet!), then you will need to downgrade stock and try factory to DD-WRT flash again.

I suggest that you start with an old DD-WRT build, for example r31924, then Webflash to the latest 2019 build.

If you want to keep your Linksys partition, then you are on your own!

Aaronac8
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 15:15    Post subject: Re: Unable to upgrade wrt1900ac v1 from stock firmware Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
Aaronac8 wrote:
Yemble wrote:
Aaronac8 wrote:

If you can only boot to stock, but not DD-WRT via the triple power toggle technique (NOT telnet!), then you will need to downgrade stock and try factory to DD-WRT flash again.

I suggest that you start with an old DD-WRT build, for example r31924, then Webflash to the latest 2019 build.

I can webflash to the latest 2019 build through the DDWRT GUI firmware upgrade tab?
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 15:43    Post subject: Re: Unable to upgrade wrt1900ac v1 from stock firmware Reply with quote
Aaronac8 wrote:
Yemble wrote:
Aaronac8 wrote:
Yemble wrote:
Aaronac8 wrote:

I can webflash to the latest 2019 build through the DDWRT GUI firmware upgrade tab?

You should be able to. I am running the latest 2019 image on my WRT1900AC v1. I always use Webflash to upgrade DD-WRT (we are talking several years here!), as I don't see the point of retaining a stock partition. It's just a whole load of unecessary hassle, IMHO !

Aaronac8
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 15:48    Post subject: Re: Unable to upgrade wrt1900ac v1 from stock firmware Reply with quote
You should be able to. I am running the latest 2019 image on my WRT1900AC v1. I always use Webflash to upgrade DD-WRT (we are talking several years here!), as I don't see the point of retaining a stock partition. It's just a whole load of unecessary hassle, IMHO ![/quote]

Do you have to reconfigure the router after every upgrade or does it hold on to the SSID's, etc.? Thanks again for all your help 😊
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 15:52    Post subject: Re: Unable to upgrade wrt1900ac v1 from stock firmware Reply with quote
Aaronac8 wrote:
Do you have to reconfigure the router after every upgrade or does it hold on to the SSID's, etc.? Thanks again for all your help 😊

In all the years I've been upgrading via Webflash, I can count the number of times I've had to re-configure the settings on one hand! Cool

Aaronac8
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 18:00    Post subject: Re: Unable to upgrade wrt1900ac v1 from stock firmware Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
Aaronac8 wrote:

In all the years I've been upgrading via Webflash, I can count the number of times I've had to re-configure the settings on one hand! Cool

Does it matter what browser you use to webflash (I.e chrome, edge, ie...)?
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 19:15    Post subject: Re: Unable to upgrade wrt1900ac v1 from stock firmware Reply with quote
Aaronac8 wrote:
Yemble wrote:
Aaronac8 wrote:

Does it matter what browser you use to webflash (I.e chrome, edge, ie...)?

I would use either Edge or Firefox, but not Chrome.

blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
A reason to keep stock Linksys firmware on one partition is if you wanted to try OpenWRT (davidc502's builds for example). It just makes things easier to have that option to flash from the Linksys web interface.

For any browser, make sure any sort of autofill or text form field autocomplete is turned off.

Also be sure to clear all history, time range everything and all checkboxes. You may just run in private browsing mode to avoid this, but I clear it anyway to be safe.

I also disable check for updates, remember logins and spell checking but that's just me.

A portable browser is good for flashing because it's isolated from your daily browsing with no add-ons, extensions, plugins etc.

Microsoft recently announced plans to move Edge to a Chromium-compatible web platform.

I highly suggest anything based on Firefox, never had a problem with flashing. If you have an old version of IE that should work too.

Waterfox Portable 56.2.7.1 (Website)

Pale Moon Portable (Website)

Firefox Portable (Website)
greatmoo27
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had similar issues with my WRT1900ACSV2. I found that using the factory to DDwrt image from Jan2018 allowed me to boot into DDWRT correctly. Other builds resets the router until it reverts back to the Linksys Firmware.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: