WRT3200acm Lockup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Author Message
WENED
DD-WRT User


Joined: 30 May 2017
Posts: 313
Location: Rural Manitoba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 16:25    Post subject: WRT3200acm Lockup Reply with quote
WRT3200acm locked up, no GUI access, 5Ghz light solid no connections, WAN no connection, 2.4Ghz flashing and connections seem good, no DHCP from router. Hard reboot required to get it going again.

Last night I had the preceding scenario about 8 hours after upgrading to r38535 build, but I don't believe it was due to the update as I have had this happen in the past.

Last week I entered a post regarding cross channel interference which now I am convinced is the culprit in this case. Here is a brief description of my setup;
Master Router WRT3200acm - PPoE WAN, DHCP active, 100 static address pool in services, 5Ghz WDS AP 80Mhz width Channel 149 (UU) WPA2 128 security.
Slave 3200acm - 30' away in another room, WDS station 5Ghz, 2.4Ghz AP 20Mgz, Channel 11, WPA/WPA2 128, 7 cameras 1 WRT54G w/1 camera, LAN- Desktop, TV, Home Theatre, DVD, Satellite TV control.
WRT1900 V1 - 500' away in my barn - 5Ghz WDS Station, 2.4Ghz AP 20Mghz channel 1 WPA/WPA2 128 w/ 6 cameras & 6 Sonoff devices, LAN Camera, 2.4Ghz VAP - WPA/WPA2 128 3 Sonoff devices.
All ap's are distinct SSID

As always when upgrading I test for improvements in specific problems. First notable was the case where after a while I would see continuous rejected access from "Unknown" in the log. Disabled Telnet and problem stopped.
The next test was for Sonoff connection to the 3200 which had no change and still required wmm disabled. Having disabled the VAP on my 1900 I used the 2.4Ghz on the 3200 G-Only, 20 Mhz, channel 6, WPA/WPA2 128 for the 3 Sonoff switches. All seemed well until the lockup after 8 hours. Rebooted, disabled the 2.4Ghz and re-enabled the VAP on my 1900 for the Sonoff switches, been running 18 hours no problems.

What I have concluded is that because I run two 2.4Ghz AP's (CH 1 & 11) I am occupying 8 of the available channels and by initiating a third AP on channel 6 I am still causing overlap as there is only 3 channels available and at 20Mhz I require 4.
Although this doesn't seem to affect my slave routers to any extent it virtually kills my 3200 Master.

I do not have any close neighbours which cause any cross channel interference so I can only conclude that the problem is specific to my multiple router setup. In the past I ran 5-6 routers most on WDS remote with a AP on 2.4Ghz for emergency access, but was having considerable lockup problems and dropouts all over. I stripped down to my current setup and most problems went away except for this last one. The previous build ran for 4 days without any problems as long as I did not activate any other than the two 2.4Ghz AP's.

I do remember that at one time we could select less than 20Mhz band with (10, 5) but I have not seen this option recently so I must assume that I cannot have more than 2 active AP's on the 2.4Ghz.

_________________
WRT3200acm Master WDS AP 5GHz 80Mhz r40009
WRT3200acm WDS Station r40900
WRT1900Ac V1 WDS AP 5Ghz r35898 (Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)
WRT1900AC V1 WDS Station r35898
WRT1900AC V1 SPARE r35898
WRT1200AC V1 Client-Bridge r35898
WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro Client-Bridged for 1 IP Camera
EX6200 DD-WRT r38535 - Spare
EX7000 Stock Firmware Spare
Devices and Cameras and Sensors
15 WiFi cameras, 4 desktops, 2 laptop, 12 Sonoff Basic/TH16, Artisan 700 Printer, Ongoing testing of other devices.
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT User


Joined: 20 Jan 2019
Posts: 131

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
After the update was the router left up and running until you ran into this issue 8 hours later?

May not be related, but I always reboot after waiting a little while to allow finishing whatever it's doing after a successful flash and boot.

Then I wait a little longer and power cycle to be sure I'm clear of all the potential weird stuff that may happen after an update.

I know you are certainly no beginner, but sometimes it's the simple things that can be overlooked.
WENED
DD-WRT User


Joined: 30 May 2017
Posts: 313
Location: Rural Manitoba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
After the update was the router left up and running until you ran into this issue 8 hours later?

May not be related, but I always reboot after waiting a little while to allow finishing whatever it's doing after a successful flash and boot.

Then I wait a little longer and power cycle to be sure I'm clear of all the potential weird stuff that may happen after an update.

I know you are certainly no beginner, but sometimes it's the simple things that can be overlooked.


I have had to do a hard reboot after most of the recent builds as for some reason the PPoE WAN won't connect. So yes I had done a hard reboot. The main reason I have come to suspect cross interference is from an earlier build where the router would slow down (GUI access very slow) and connections also slowed. By viewing the Syslog I noticed considerable re-initializing of wifi clients. At that time I re-organized my WiFi clients to only use either of two available AP's and shut down all other AP's, at which point the syslog was clean except for initial startup and hourly NTP checks.

_________________
WRT3200acm Master WDS AP 5GHz 80Mhz r40009
WRT3200acm WDS Station r40900
WRT1900Ac V1 WDS AP 5Ghz r35898 (Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)
WRT1900AC V1 WDS Station r35898
WRT1900AC V1 SPARE r35898
WRT1200AC V1 Client-Bridge r35898
WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro Client-Bridged for 1 IP Camera
EX6200 DD-WRT r38535 - Spare
EX7000 Stock Firmware Spare
Devices and Cameras and Sensors
15 WiFi cameras, 4 desktops, 2 laptop, 12 Sonoff Basic/TH16, Artisan 700 Printer, Ongoing testing of other devices.
blkt
DD-WRT User


Joined: 20 Jan 2019
Posts: 131

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Channels 1, 6 and 11 are non-overlapping for 2.4ghz @ 20mhz bands (with 2mhz gaps). I need caffeine.

Edit: Did you rebuild the config from scratch after erasing NVRAM or are you using a config carried over from previous build(s)?

Maybe the re-initializing of wifi clients are related to the Sonoff devices.

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/278
WENED
DD-WRT User


Joined: 30 May 2017
Posts: 313
Location: Rural Manitoba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Channels 1, 6 and 11 are non-overlapping for 2.4ghz @ 20mhz bands (with 2mhz gaps). I need caffeine.

Edit: Did you rebuild the config from scratch after erasing NVRAM or are you using a config carried over from previous build(s)?

Maybe the re-initializing of wifi clients are related to the Sonoff devices.

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/278


First off, with 20Mhz channel width and each 2.4Ghz channel is 5Mhz unless my math is seriously outdated 3 x 4 = 12 and here in North America there are only 11 available channels on the 2.4Ghz band. So contrary to your note, yes Channels 1, 6, 11 will overlap on at least 1 channel. If you still doubt this, take a look at the Wiki Wifi pages and numerous other pages on the web regarding this problem.

When I first saw the problem months ago I did a complete re-configuration following a total reset to stock and then to DD-WRT. It made no difference whatsoever. I do agree that if an upgrade is performed on pre mid 2018 builds that a complete reset and rebuild is a good idea along with using a browser with all autofill turned off. But for most recent builds this has been unnecessary.

I do however agree with you that the Sonoff devices are a problem with the 3200 in more ways than one and this holds true for most ESP8266 based devices which are quite widespread over numerous manufacturers of Home Automation. Just have a look at all the problems noted on the Forum. Ironically neither my 1900 V1 or 1200 V1 have any of the problems noted here. My Sonoff devices connect and stay connected without issue.

_________________
WRT3200acm Master WDS AP 5GHz 80Mhz r40009
WRT3200acm WDS Station r40900
WRT1900Ac V1 WDS AP 5Ghz r35898 (Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)
WRT1900AC V1 WDS Station r35898
WRT1900AC V1 SPARE r35898
WRT1200AC V1 Client-Bridge r35898
WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro Client-Bridged for 1 IP Camera
EX6200 DD-WRT r38535 - Spare
EX7000 Stock Firmware Spare
Devices and Cameras and Sensors
15 WiFi cameras, 4 desktops, 2 laptop, 12 Sonoff Basic/TH16, Artisan 700 Printer, Ongoing testing of other devices.
blkt
DD-WRT User


Joined: 20 Jan 2019
Posts: 131

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2.4_GHz_radio_use

Scroll down about a third and you'll see the SVG image; they don't overlap.

When you were using channel 6 on the master router the Sonoff devices were connected to it with encryption enabled and then this problem occurred (slow GUI/connections, re-initializing of wifi clients and eventual lockup).

The posts from January in that github thread are very revealing.
WENED
DD-WRT User


Joined: 30 May 2017
Posts: 313
Location: Rural Manitoba

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2.4_GHz_radio_use

Scroll down about a third and you'll see the SVG image; they don't overlap.

When you were using channel 6 on the master router the Sonoff devices were connected to it with encryption enabled and then this problem occurred (slow GUI/connections, re-initializing of wifi clients and eventual lockup).

The posts from January in that github thread are very revealing.


I do apologize for my previous comment. I was not aware that the 2.4Ghz channels setup on center and therefore allowing for three distinct channels. I verified this with a spectrum analyzer. Re-activated channel 6 on my 3200 and am testing again. Analyser shows no overlap at this time. Also watching my Syslog.
Yes I do have authentication on my Sonoff devices. I know that if I disable security I can run with wmm enabled. I may try this again if I continue to hang.
As I said before these ESP8266 devices are a nightmare with the newer radios, in my case the 3200.

_________________
WRT3200acm Master WDS AP 5GHz 80Mhz r40009
WRT3200acm WDS Station r40900
WRT1900Ac V1 WDS AP 5Ghz r35898 (Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)
WRT1900AC V1 WDS Station r35898
WRT1900AC V1 SPARE r35898
WRT1200AC V1 Client-Bridge r35898
WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro Client-Bridged for 1 IP Camera
EX6200 DD-WRT r38535 - Spare
EX7000 Stock Firmware Spare
Devices and Cameras and Sensors
15 WiFi cameras, 4 desktops, 2 laptop, 12 Sonoff Basic/TH16, Artisan 700 Printer, Ongoing testing of other devices.
blkt
DD-WRT User


Joined: 20 Jan 2019
Posts: 131

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
No need to apologize, I was tired and just didn't have the energy to explain further.

The reason your 1200 and 1900 series routers will play nice is because they follow an older security model, standards have changed. The Sonoff devices are very likely doing something that is no longer permitted in 802.11 during authentication (such as TKIP+AES).

The mwlwifi driver thread for this issue tells everything you need to know. I would recommend keeping WMM enabled (a requirement of the N standard) and connect the Sonoff devices with no authentication or encryption. If the problem disappears, you know it's the reason for your slowdown/lockup issue.

Radio0 and Radio1 are driven by mwlwifi. Radio2 is not, so this is why you do not have the problem on that third radio (aka ATH2).

I think BrainSlayer and derosier have hit the nail on the head, shy of a tcpdump from a third device in monitor mode to capture the management frames in a pcap file and seeing exactly what the ESP is doing during authentication.

They have requested for someone to please do that and if the ESP is indeed doing TKIP+AES mixed WPA authentication then the mwlwifi driver is functioning as intended, following current standards, and this issue can be settled.

You can thank BrainSlayer for a majority of what I regurgitated here from that github thread. He does go into greater detail there.
WENED
DD-WRT User


Joined: 30 May 2017
Posts: 313
Location: Rural Manitoba

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
No need to apologize, I was tired and just didn't have the energy to explain further.

The reason your 1200 and 1900 series routers will play nice is because they follow an older security model, standards have changed. The Sonoff devices are very likely doing something that is no longer permitted in 802.11 during authentication (such as TKIP+AES).

The mwlwifi driver thread for this issue tells everything you need to know. I would recommend keeping WMM enabled (a requirement of the N standard) and connect the Sonoff devices with no authentication or encryption. If the problem disappears, you know it's the reason for your slowdown/lockup issue.

Radio0 and Radio1 are driven by mwlwifi. Radio2 is not, so this is why you do not have the problem on that third radio (aka ATH2).

I think BrainSlayer and derosier have hit the nail on the head, shy of a tcpdump from a third device in monitor mode to capture the management frames in a pcap file and seeing exactly what the ESP is doing during authentication.

They have requested for someone to please do that and if the ESP is indeed doing TKIP+AES mixed WPA authentication then the mwlwifi driver is functioning as intended, following current standards, and this issue can be settled.

You can thank BrainSlayer for a majority of what I regurgitated here from that github thread. He does go into greater detail there.


Thank you for your keen support regarding my problems. I was aware of the problems encountered almost 2 years ago and have been following the results. Although I can use ATH2 I found it to be a bit weak for my application and disabling security on the regular channel defeats the purpose for not using LAN wires. Although I am in a remote location, anyone within 1/4 mile could access my system and that worries me.
I did in fact try ATH2 last night again and the problems with constant re-configs did not appear, however being a much weaker radio it did not have the range coverage I require.
It is not just my Sonoff devices that are being a pain but our Zenfones also are constantly re-connecting and my Lenovo Tab also. Some of my cameras also have trouble maintain connection.
Ironically my 5Ghz band is working flawlessly, which was not the case during 2017-2018.

After all my testing, most of last night, I pulled my 3200 slave and replaced it with a 1200 V1 and also resurrected an old EX6200. I upgraded both units to r38535 and run them as slaves, the 3200 on WDS and the EX6200 as Client Bridged over the 5Ghz band. Both units now carry all my SOnoff devices and other devices previously handled by my 3200's.
My lone 3200 is still my master but no longer uses the 2.4Ghz band.
All my 2.4Ghz devices now connect without problem and remain such without constant re-connects.
I have been running with this altered config for 14 hours and no unusual entries in Syslogs or any access problems.
It is nice to say that the 802.11 standard has changed, but not everyone has the ability or finances to upgrade all their devices to a new standard. Manufacturers have always made every attempt to allow for backward compatibility, why not with this new breed of radio.

I am sorry for being so long winded, but I have enough to worry about without trying to work around these annoying problems. I could appreciate if my problems were environmental, temperatures -40C to +40C, lack of good internet (DSL only), or simply coverage over my 40 acres. Tehnology is supposed to be an aide to better farm management but not when more time is expended on trying to keep it going than using it as a tool.
Any way, thanks again for your support as it gave me a different path to follow and enlightened me a bit on newer technology. Things have so changed since my days as a mainframe specialist.

_________________
WRT3200acm Master WDS AP 5GHz 80Mhz r40009
WRT3200acm WDS Station r40900
WRT1900Ac V1 WDS AP 5Ghz r35898 (Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)
WRT1900AC V1 WDS Station r35898
WRT1900AC V1 SPARE r35898
WRT1200AC V1 Client-Bridge r35898
WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro Client-Bridged for 1 IP Camera
EX6200 DD-WRT r38535 - Spare
EX7000 Stock Firmware Spare
Devices and Cameras and Sensors
15 WiFi cameras, 4 desktops, 2 laptop, 12 Sonoff Basic/TH16, Artisan 700 Printer, Ongoing testing of other devices.
blkt
DD-WRT User


Joined: 20 Jan 2019
Posts: 131

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
TKIP+AES is no longer allowed on 802.11 because it is insecure. If the Sonoff devices were using only AES, I am guessing there would be no issue with your master AP. Maybe there is a firmware update for these Sonoff devices? I have no experience and don't know how configurable they are. If there is no way to update them or change the way they authenticate, maybe there's a new hardware revision that fixes the problem (in which case I would contact the manufacturer for replacement).

My question is with WMM enabled, 2.4Ghz @ 20Mhz Channel 6 active on the master 3200 and the Sonoffs connected to it, but not using authentication or encryption, does the problem go away? The same goes for the slave 3200 on Channel 11 if you have any Sonoffs connected to it. Do your other devices then begin to stabilize (Zenfone, Lenovo Tab, cameras)? There may be a sort of cascade effect going on.

The next thing I would try is to enable authentication and encryption again on the 3200(s), but do not connect the Sonoffs and see if your other devices are still having troubles.

At any rate it's good to offload anything ESP based from the 3200(s) to older access points.

I am not sure which Wireless Network Mode you use for 2.4 (Mixed, NG-Mixed, G-Only) but that's something else to consider if you are still experiencing problems with the other devices. Each model router may behave differently to this setting so keep note of what works.
WENED
DD-WRT User


Joined: 30 May 2017
Posts: 313
Location: Rural Manitoba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
TKIP+AES is no longer allowed on 802.11 because it is insecure. If the Sonoff devices were using only AES, I am guessing there would be no issue with your master AP. Maybe there is a firmware update for these Sonoff devices? I have no experience and don't know how configurable they are. If there is no way to update them or change the way they authenticate, maybe there's a new hardware revision that fixes the problem (in which case I would contact the manufacturer for replacement).

My question is with WMM enabled, 2.4Ghz @ 20Mhz Channel 6 active on the master 3200 and the Sonoffs connected to it, but not using authentication or encryption, does the problem go away? The same goes for the slave 3200 on Channel 11 if you have any Sonoffs connected to it. Do your other devices then begin to stabilize (Zenfone, Lenovo Tab, cameras)? There may be a sort of cascade effect going on.

The next thing I would try is to enable authentication and encryption again on the 3200(s), but do not connect the Sonoffs and see if your other devices are still having troubles.

At any rate it's good to offload anything ESP based from the 3200(s) to older access points.

I am not sure which Wireless Network Mode you use for 2.4 (Mixed, NG-Mixed, G-Only) but that's something else to consider if you are still experiencing problems with the other devices. Each model router may behave differently to this setting so keep note of what works.



As I have indicated before disabling security allows my Sonoff devices to connect and remain so.

I had removed all Sonoff devices from my slave 3200 as without wmm most other devices would not connect. The problem with constant drop/reconnect sill is present even with no Sonoff devices.

Interestingly enough I have to use "Mixed" on my older routers to establish connection to my Tab.

I did experiment with running my now spare 3200 in Stock mode. It has no problems with any devices connecting to it. Because of my multiple router and varied device configuration this is not a viable option as I have little control over my devices. I had switched my outboard routers to "Client Bridged" mode to fully test the setup which worked fine but I have little control over the network.
I still believe that DD-WRT will resolve the problems since the stock version works, just when is the question.

_________________
WRT3200acm Master WDS AP 5GHz 80Mhz r40009
WRT3200acm WDS Station r40900
WRT1900Ac V1 WDS AP 5Ghz r35898 (Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)
WRT1900AC V1 WDS Station r35898
WRT1900AC V1 SPARE r35898
WRT1200AC V1 Client-Bridge r35898
WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro Client-Bridged for 1 IP Camera
EX6200 DD-WRT r38535 - Spare
EX7000 Stock Firmware Spare
Devices and Cameras and Sensors
15 WiFi cameras, 4 desktops, 2 laptop, 12 Sonoff Basic/TH16, Artisan 700 Printer, Ongoing testing of other devices.
blkt
DD-WRT User


Joined: 20 Jan 2019
Posts: 131

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
#6527 WRT3200 rejects wifi clients

New build: R38570 2-4-19
WENED
DD-WRT User


Joined: 30 May 2017
Posts: 313
Location: Rural Manitoba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
#6527 WRT3200 rejects wifi clients

New build: R38570 2-4-19


Had a look at the link, no real info for me there but I did try out r38570
Upgraded with EDGE r38535 -> r38570

Had to reboot hard to get PPoE running, but that has been there for some time and I don't worry as it just requires the hard reboot after upgrade.

Tested my 2.4Ghz with the new build;
Lenovo TAB and Zenfones appear to connect OK, not sure if they disconnect after a time though.

Sonoff devices still the same. Devices authenticate and then " hostapd: ath1: STA 80:7d:3a:18:0e:61 IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to inactivity (timer DEAUTH/REMOVE)"

I have noticed that this appears to be a problem with OPENWRT also and other firmwares, but not with the Linksys stock firmware.

Reverted my network back to avoid having Sonoff on my 3200's

_________________
WRT3200acm Master WDS AP 5GHz 80Mhz r40009
WRT3200acm WDS Station r40900
WRT1900Ac V1 WDS AP 5Ghz r35898 (Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)
WRT1900AC V1 WDS Station r35898
WRT1900AC V1 SPARE r35898
WRT1200AC V1 Client-Bridge r35898
WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro Client-Bridged for 1 IP Camera
EX6200 DD-WRT r38535 - Spare
EX7000 Stock Firmware Spare
Devices and Cameras and Sensors
15 WiFi cameras, 4 desktops, 2 laptop, 12 Sonoff Basic/TH16, Artisan 700 Printer, Ongoing testing of other devices.
blkt
DD-WRT User


Joined: 20 Jan 2019
Posts: 131

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I provided that SVN ticket because it appears to be a similar situation, but does not provide any details about his client devices or his three router configurations. I don't know if he's using WDS, static address pool or anything like your setup.

OpenWRT is going to have the same issue because it uses the same mwlwifi driver.

Airport Express <-> WRT32000ACM - deauthenticated due to local deauth request #329

Please read the previous github issue I linked below from at least December 23 through today.

ESP8266/Embedded devices unable to connect to 2.4Ghz Radio #278

Make sure your client devices are not attempting to use TKIP. Don't disable WMM because it disables 802.11n.

They need input, proof with real data (wireshark) from people who have a 3200 router and affected client devices. Nothing will change without participation in places that have their attention.

Yes, for now keep anything non-compliant on an older router in bridge mode.
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum