Difference between Archer C5 and C7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
AirZonk!
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thx for feedback. Wink
Sponsor
Hagensieker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
izeman wrote:
yes. you can flash an archer c5 1.2 to c7 v2.
flash factory_to_ddwrt image of c5 first, then flash special image from .pl site to make it c7. then flash factory_to_ddwrt image for c7 v2 and you're done.
did it yesterday. worked fine.

What is the .pl site?
Hagensieker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got my C5 v1.2 last night from eBay. It had DD-WRT dated Jan/2015 and would not update to anything.

TFTP was not working however I did manage to get the factory firmware installed using the webrevert software here in this forum.

From there Updated to DD-WRT 3-25 US version and then telnet into router and did the following from a post above

Code:
cd /tmp
wget http://thesen.eu/files/tplink_mod.bin
mtd -r write tplink_mod.bin linux

That turns the router into C7 version 2 factory firmware

from there I had to update to the latest TP-Link factory firmware and then was able to update to latest dd-wrt C7 version 2 firmware.

So somebody tried to sell their problem on eBay but I prevailed. Very Happy
youngsyp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I have a C5 arriving near the end of the week and I'm keen to 'convert' it to a C7. I'll be using it as a wireless access point.
I've read through the plethora of posts around the process(es) but wanted to summarise in one place for my own sanity. So to confirm, is this what I need to do?

With the C5 connected to gateway and laptop via ethernet cable.

1, Update C5 to latest factory FW.
2, 30-30-30 reset.
3, Flash with latest DD-WRT firmware for the C5 (factory to DD-WRT).
4, 30-30-30 reset.
5, Telnet into C5 and run the following commands:

cd/tmp

6, Via 192.168.0.1, update C5 to latest C7 factory FW.
7, 30-30-30 reset.
8, Flash C5 to latest C7 v2.0 DD-WRT FW (factory to DD-WRT).

Before step 5, do I need to set the C5 up to be able to access the web? If not, how does it find the mod.bin file?

If I stopped at step 6, does that mean I have, what is essentially a factory C7? If I decided not to install DD-WRT next, will it function fully if I don't complete step 8?

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Trey73
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know this is an ancient post, but W would love to know the answer to the question asked above...
pczeilon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just did this today successfully so I can walk you through.
First you need to flash your C5 AC1200 V1.2 with DD-WRT. I used 38159. Make sure you do your 30/30/30 & that it's up & running. Assuming you have W10 you'll need to install "telnet" from the Turn Windows Features On section. Now you can open a command prompt & type "telnet 192.168.1.1". It will ask for the routers user & password. Now enter the code that's been listed before. Enter it a single line at a time followed by Enter & wait for it to complete. After the last line completes you'll get a message saying your connection has been lost.

Code:
cd /tmp

WAIT for your router to reboot. Now you can access your router at 192.168.0.1 using the default TP-Link admin/admin. You'll see that you now have a TP-Link C7 V2 with some old firmware. At this point you can flash either the latest DD-WRT or TP-Link firmware.
hebeda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
actually all these converting procedures are not needed.

the dd-wrt firmware vor C5 v1.2 just unlocks all Archer c7 features without any hassle - fUll 1300mbps on 5ghz and 450 mbps on 2.4ghz .... Wink

Last edited by hebeda on Sun Feb 03, 2019 15:39; edited 1 time in total
pczeilon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good to know. It's still a nice option to run the stock TP-Link C7 firmware though.
coolpontiac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 19:48    Post subject: can you say exactly which fw version please? Reply with quote
hebeda wrote:
actually all these converting procedures are not needed.

the dd-wrt firmware vor C5 v1.2 just unlocks all Archer c7 features without any hassle - fUll 1300mbps on 5ghz and 450 mbps on 2.4ghz .... Wink

I just bought a used tplink ac1200 C5 and am trying to understand easiest way to get stable ddwrt working on it.

which specific .bin file do i want to use?

do i need to installed a factory to ddwrt bin first and THEN install another .bin specifically for c5?

thanks for helping!
pczeilon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, a "Factory to DDWRT" of whatever version you wish to try the first time you flash. Then later, if you want to try a different version, you just use the normal .bin. For example, the latest version as of today is r38581. You would flash "factory-to-ddwrt-US.bin" (Assuming you have a sold in USA Router) on this page.
https://dd-wrt.com/support/other-downloads/?path=betas%2F2019%2F02-06-2019-r38581%2Ftplink_archer-c5-v1%2F
Any subsequent changes to firmware should be made by flashing the "tplink_archer-c5-v1-US.bin" file.
coolpontiac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
pczeilon wrote:
Yes, a "Factory to DDWRT" of whatever version you wish to try the first time you flash. Then later, if you want to try a different version, you just use the normal .bin. For example, the latest version as of today is r38581. You would flash "factory-to-ddwrt-US.bin" (Assuming you have a sold in USA Router) on this page.
https://dd-wrt.com/support/other-downloads/?path=betas%2F2019%2F02-06-2019-r38581%2Ftplink_archer-c5-v1%2F
Any subsequent changes to firmware should be made by flashing the "tplink_archer-c5-v1-US.bin" file.

thanks but just to be clear... (because i understand a little bit about hardware)...are you saying that the factory to ddwrt.bin fw that you pointed me to is specific for my router model? if so... then isnt that enough? why would i immediately overwrite it with another fw file that is also specific to my router (that being the tplink_archer-c5-v1-US.bin file)? the 2nd file simply overwrite the first no?

thanks
coolpontiac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
pczeilon wrote:

hi again. sorry. i think i can answer my own question.... each rev folder has 2 diff .bins , one for upgrade from factory and one for upgrade from prior ver of ddwrt... but both will put the router into the same end configuration? is that correct?

most of the forum guidance seems to say dont just install the latest rev but to search the forums to see what is the most recent stable rev. i dont find much mention of my archer c5 v1.2, is the rev you pointed to , one that you are using? thx!
pczeilon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
coolpontiac wrote:

hi again. sorry. i think i can answer my own question.... each rev folder has 2 diff .bins , one for upgrade from factory and one for upgrade from prior ver of ddwrt... but both will put the router into the same end configuration? is that correct?

Yes
coolpontiac wrote:
Most of the forum guidance seems to say dont just install the latest rev but to search the forums to see what is the most recent stable rev. i dont find much mention of my archer c5 v1.2, is the rev you pointed to , one that you are using? thx!

This is the tough part. Check the Atheros forum for build discussions in general. It's not necessary to find C5 specific posts. Builds generally will have the same issues across all routers with similar chipsets.
coolpontiac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
pczeilon wrote:
coolpontiac wrote:

Yes
coolpontiac wrote:
Most of the forum guidance seems to say dont just install the latest rev but to search the forums to see what is the most recent stable rev. i dont find much mention of my archer c5 v1.2, is the rev you pointed to , one that you are using? thx!

This is the tough part. Check the Atheros forum for build discussions in general. It's not necessary to find C5 specific posts. Builds generally will have the same issues across all routers with similar chipsets.

does it make sense to you that there are 2 diff fw upgrades to same end state depending on whether you start with factory install or prior drt install? my understanding is fw will rewrite entirely former install to a new one. it doesnt seem to be an 'additive' process if youknow what i mean?

also...
on 1/26/19 the instructions you give are to basically turn my c5 into a c7 ver 2 with the factory fw? if true then uour last sentance, do you say i can then flash with the ddwrt fw for C7 instead of C5?

thanks!
pczeilon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
coolpontiac wrote:

does it make sense to you that there are 2 diff fw upgrades to same end state depending on whether you start with factory install or prior drt install? my understanding is fw will rewrite entirely former install to a new one. it doesnt seem to be an 'additive' process if youknow what i mean?

Yes, this is how it works. Someone with more technical expertise than I can chime in about the nuts & bolts of why. By the same token. you can't flash back to factory by using the stock TP-Link firmware either.

coolpontiac wrote:
also...
on 1/26/19 the instructions you give are to basically turn my c5 into a c7 ver 2 with the factory fw? if true then uour last sentance, do you say i can then flash with the ddwrt fw for C7 instead of C5?

thanks!

That is correct. You flash with DDWRT C7 v2 firmware once it has been "converted".
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: