RT-AC87U DD-WRT support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
DDavidWRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi everyone. This my first post. I'm new in this and my problem is I flashed my ac87u with ddwrt and know I can't go back to asus firmware. It's impossible for me to get the router in recovery mode and the normal process fails. Any help? Thank you.
Sponsor
DDavidWRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 19:03    Post subject: Re: ASUS RT-AC87U: Repeater Bridge mode not operating on 5g Reply with quote
GujiRascal wrote:
Hi Guys,

Managed to set up repeater bridge mode in 2.4 ghz band but when I try to set the same for 5ghz repeater bridge mode does not work.

wl1 status moves to off state.

Also tried configuring repeater mode via site survey under the status/wireless tab - site returns zero results whereas wifi analyzer returns plenty.

Anybody else encountered similar issues and have them resolved?

I'm not sure but ac87u 5Ghz wireless hardware is not broadcom manufactured, maybe repeater mode doesn't work at all with it. 2.4 Ghz hardware is Broadcom.
Trrusst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 19:09    Post subject: Re: ASUS RT-AC87U: Repeater Bridge mode not operating on 5g Reply with quote
Set your main computer to static IP, from networking.

Turn off the router from the power button, then press the reset button and keep it pressed while you power on the router and for 10-15 seconds more.

After that, go to a browser page and query gateway address (in my case 192.168.1.1) and a basic firmware restore page should appear, where you can restore/upload whatever firmware you want.

DDavidWRT wrote:
GujiRascal wrote:
Hi Guys,

Managed to set up repeater bridge mode in 2.4 ghz band but when I try to set the same for 5ghz repeater bridge mode does not work.

wl1 status moves to off state.

Also tried configuring repeater mode via site survey under the status/wireless tab - site returns zero results whereas wifi analyzer returns plenty.

Anybody else encountered similar issues and have them resolved?

I'm not sure but ac87u 5Ghz wireless hardware is not broadcom manufactured, maybe repeater mode doesn't work at all with it. 2.4 Ghz hardware is Broadcom.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
In any case, you don't set up the router as repeater on both bands simultaneously. Use one band only and set up the other as AP.
oduntan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:57    Post subject: how to upload dd-wrt to AC87U Reply with quote
Hi,
Looking for help with finding the right DD-WRT .trx file to upload to my AC87U. I found a link in the forum but back in 2014. I just tried uploading the dd-wrt firmware to my rotuer using- Administration-Firmware Upgrade- New Firmware File.
But I got an error message: Invalid Firmware Upload....This version is not compatible with other asus....

Can you point me to a dd-wrt file that will work and also please provide steps on how to upload dd-wrt to the AC87U.
I am hoping that dd-wrt will allow me to use this router as a repeater (not media bridge).

Thanks!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 13:16    Post subject: Re: how to upload dd-wrt to AC87U Reply with quote
oduntan wrote:
Hi,
Looking for help with finding the right DD-WRT .trx file to upload to my AC87U. I found a link in the forum but back in 2014. I just tried uploading the dd-wrt firmware to my rotuer using- Administration-Firmware Upgrade- New Firmware File.
But I got an error message: Invalid Firmware Upload....This version is not compatible with other asus....

Can you point me to a dd-wrt file that will work and also please provide steps on how to upload dd-wrt to the AC87U.
I am hoping that dd-wrt will allow me to use this router as a repeater (not media bridge).

Thanks!

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/09-21-2018-r37012/asus-rt-ac87u/
You’ll probably have to flash it by putting the router in rescue mode and use the cfe mini web browser or tftpd32.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 14:46    Post subject: Re: how to upload dd-wrt to AC87U Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
oduntan wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/09-21-2018-r37012/asus-rt-ac87u/
You’ll probably have to flash it by putting the router in rescue mode and use the cfe mini web browser or tftpd32.

Thank you, I appreciate the response. Is there a step by step link that I can use to put the router in rescue mode and use cfe....I don't know how to do this Sad and I want to get it right. thanks!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hold the reset button in while turning the router on. Keep it pressed in till the power led flashes.
The router is now in rescue mode.
Open your browser to 192.168.1.1. There you will see the cfe mini web server. Or you can use tftpd32 to upload the firmware.

Plenty of guides on the forum.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Hold the reset button in while turning the router on. Keep it pressed in till the power led flashes.
The router is now in rescue mode.
Open your browser to 192.168.1.1. There you will see the cfe mini web server. Or you can use tftpd32 to upload the firmware.

Plenty of guides on the forum.

Thanks, I am going to try this. Will I ever be able to revert back to the Asus firmware using the same rescue method if in the future I don't like the dd-wrt?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good day.

Question: Why can not I manually set the channel on the 5GHz interface? Only Auto in any election access point and its modes.

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r38253 std (01/10/19)

Router: Asus RT-AC87U

dd-wrt5.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.96 KB
 Viewed:  7870 Time(s)

dd-wrt5.png

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
demiansly wrote:
Good day.

Question: Why can not I manually set the channel on the 5GHz interface? Only Auto in any election access point and its modes.

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r38253 std (01/10/19)

Router: Asus RT-AC87U

Have you read this thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
The channel width have to be set first.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I could be wrong but due to the fact the 5ghz on this unit is quantnna, that the channel cannot be set.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
I could be wrong but due to the fact the 5ghz on this unit is quantnna, that the channel cannot be set.

Really, I try all combination of Mode and Width --> Only Auto Channel.
Number of antennas has nothing to do with the choice of the channel at the level of physics.

Do anyone know reason of blocked this choise to only "AUTO"?

Early in this topic I see recommendation:
"I'm still running r30534. It's stable."
Can I select a channel on firmware r30534?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 25 of 27
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: