WRT 32X Firmware Upgrade Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Script_Kiddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 18:17    Post subject: WRT 32X Firmware Upgrade Questions Reply with quote
Hey people, I just got a Linksys WRT32X and I've been wanting to try out DD-WRT firmware. I have read through as much information as I can find here and elsewhere on the flashing procedure but I have a few questions.

Is the firmware listed here up to date? I wasn't sure if 3200ACM firmware is compatible with WRT32X since I see WRT3200ACM listed on the bottom of the router in the FCC ID and on the product info page at linksys.com the full name is WRT32x AC3200.

Is the firmware release on this page compatible with my WRT32X? ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/12-20-2018-r38060/linksys-wrt3200acm/

Also, I have attempted to communicate with my WRT32x using telnet from Windows command prompt as well as using Putty and neither method works apparently. I have disabled my firewall and tried other troubleshooting but I can't figure it out. I have telnet installed on Windows 10 and I just finished a college networking course which got me pretty familiar with using it.

I know telnet is not absolutely needed for flashing DD-WRT but I wanted to try identifying the different partitions and preserving OEM if needed to rollback.

Any ideas about what I might be doing wrong with telnet or some Linksys router configuration that's needed before it will allow communication via telnet/ssh?[/img]
Sponsor
luisaugusto2002
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
No the ddwrt firmware from the Wrt3200 is not compatible, you might brick your router.
You should use for first install FW_WRT32X_1.0.666_DDWRT.img

You will notice the FW_WRT32X_1.0.666_DDWRT.img is less than half the size of a 'normal' DD-WRT factory-to-dd-wrt file.
*This one will flash from Linksys Venom GUI

If you want the 'full featured' DD-WRT you will then need to upgrade with:
ddwrt-linksys-wrt32x-webflash.bin
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Look in the 2019 betas section rather than 2018 (link in my sig) . Pick the first build (confirmed working well, ref. https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=318094 ) and then look for the WRT32X folder (not WRT3200ACM as that device image may be for a different NAND chip) .

Now read this: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

I successfully upgraded to DD-WRT from the stock GUI on my brand new WRT32X last week, so I know that the method works. Note that you may need to do a manual reboot after applying the Webflash image (stage 2).

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/
Script_Kiddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Awesome! Thank you both for responding so quickly. That's very helpful advice in both posts.

Yemble, I will follow that guide you linked. I have read that a few times but after testing telnet communication with my router running OEM firmware I wondered if there was some configuration required. Anyways, that doesn't really matter I suppose if I stick with GUI flashing.

I will just stick with flashing via Linksys Venom GUI.

So from what I understand, if I initially flash FW_WRT32X_1.0.666_DDWRT.img via Linksys GUI then update with ddwrt-linksys-wrt32x-webflash.bin, I will still be able to revert back to OEM Linksys firmware by flashing it via DD-WRT's GUI?

I don't expect I will need to but I've heard some people have issues with configuring DD-WRT.
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Script_Kiddy wrote:
Awesome! Thank you both for responding so quickly. That's very helpful advice in both posts.

Yemble, I will follow that guide you linked. I have read that a few times but after testing telnet communication with my router running OEM firmware I wondered if there was some configuration required. Anyways, that doesn't really matter I suppose if I stick with GUI flashing.

I will just stick with flashing via Linksys Venom GUI.

So from what I understand, if I initially flash FW_WRT32X_1.0.666_DDWRT.img via Linksys GUI then update with ddwrt-linksys-wrt32x-webflash.bin, I will still be able to revert back to OEM Linksys firmware by flashing it via DD-WRT's GUI?

I don't expect I will need to but I've heard some people have issues with configuring DD-WRT.

The way back to stock from DD-WRT is not that straightforward, but it can be done within an SSH session, rather than from the DD-WRT GUI. I've not tried this myself, but many others have done it successfully.

In any case, why on Earth would you want to go back to stock, unless you plan switching to LEDE?

BTW, r38253 is working well for me.

Script_Kiddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

I see in your signature r38326. Is that your currently installed beta release?

I am just about to start flashing r38159 according to your suggestion.

Thanks for all your help! Very Happy
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Script_Kiddy wrote:
Quote:

I see in your signature r38326. Is that your currently installed beta release?

I am just about to start flashing r38159 according to your suggestion.

Thanks for all your help! Very Happy

Yes, r38326 is my current running build. No issues, so far, for me.

However, I'll probably be flashing r38347 soon: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=318356

Script_Kiddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very Happy Awesome! I successfully flashed r38159 back on January 23rd and I am very happy with this firmware. I haven't flashed ddwrt-linksys-wrt32x-webflash.bin yet and I really hope that it offers support for network storage devices.

Right now I don't see anything except CIFS Automount available and from what I understand it's for sharing drives from computers in the LAN; correct me if I'm wrong. While that is a great feature, I really only need something like Samba to access my ancient 1TB External HDD. The OEM Linksys firmware had a very convenient setup for connected storage devices. I've been scanning the Wiki tutorials for networked storage setup and found some articles.
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Script_Kiddy wrote:
Very Happy Awesome! I successfully flashed r38159 back on January 23rd and I am very happy with this firmware. I haven't flashed ddwrt-linksys-wrt32x-webflash.bin yet and I really hope that it offers support for network storage devices.

If you haven't flashed the ddwrt-linksys-wrt32x-webflash.bin, then you are not yet on r38159! Of course, you may have done this for strategic reasons as the return to stock via the second partition is still an option for you when running the initial cut-down "stub" version of DD-WRT. Only the webflash will give you the full version with all of the updates.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: