number of antennas active on a connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
rtrhelp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 17:01    Post subject: number of antennas active on a connection Reply with quote
I have a Netgear AC1450 router which has 3x3 2.4GHz (450 Mbps) antennas and 3x3 5GHz antennas (975 Mbps). My laptop has a builtin Intel AC8265 network adapter which has 2x2 5GHz antennas (867 Mbps).

However I am not getting a throughput of more than 160Mbps. I am testing the throughput by connecting a hard drive to the USB 3.0 port on the router and transferring a 1GB file (I tested that my 5400rpm hard drive is capable of transferring at 480 Mbps through the USB 3.0 adapter it is connected to).

I am currently using Netgear Firmware Version V1.0.0.8_1.0.4 on the router. I have a hunch that only one antenna is active at a time but I have no way to confirm. `netsh wlan show all` did not give me the information I am looking for. I am not sure whether the problem is with the router firmware (not the latest) or the network adapter driver (latest).

1) Is there a way to debug this problem?
2) Would installing dd-wrt compatible firmware provide better debug information (aka number of antennas active on a connection)?

References:
[1] Netgear AC1450 Data Sheet: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/AC1450.pdf
[2] Intel AC8265 Product Brief: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/dual-band-wireless-ac-8265-brief.pdf
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: