Netgear XR450, XR500, XR700 Possibly Now Supported

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
shauno100
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:00    Post subject: Netgear XR450, XR500, XR700 Possibly Now Supported Reply with quote
Hi All,

Just fyi to advise that i got in touch with Brainslayer the other day regarding the Netgear XR500 in particular which is identical to the R7800. He has now added support for it as of r38060.

I don't have the router as yet but plan to buy one at some stage.

Just making people aware but please think twice before flashing if you are willing to take the risk as no-one else has tested this yet and Brainslayer himself doesn't physically have the router. Brainslayer was adamant he has determined the flash layout for this router so it should work. See below comments from BS.

"yes. they use the standard netgear firmware format. i analysed this already. i was looking into the sources. its pure netgear source based. they just might glorify it with a new name"

"no. its no big deal. it has just a different firmware layout and the factory firmware is size limited. after i found out this bad thing i just made a smaller takeover firmware. once installed you can flash the full one. thats all"

Anyways just letting everyone know as an FYI but only test if you are willing to sacrifice your XR500 which i'm sure 99.9% won't be. Smile
Sponsor
shauno100
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 23:43    Post subject: Re: Netgear XR450, XR500, XR700 Possibly Now Supported Reply with quote
shauno100 wrote:
Hi All,

Just fyi to advise that i got in touch with Brainslayer the other day regarding the Netgear XR500 in particular which is identical to the R7800. He has now added support for it as of r38060.

Just making people aware but please think twice before flashing if you are willing to take the risk as no-one else has tested this yet and Brainslayer himself doesn't physically have the router. Brainslayer was adamant he has determined the flash layout for this router so it should work. See below comments from BS.

"yes. they use the standard netgear firmware format. i analysed this already. i was looking into the sources. its pure netgear source based. they just might glorify it with a new name"

"no. its no big deal. it has just a different firmware layout and the factory firmware is size limited. after i found out this bad thing i just made a smaller takeover firmware. once installed you can flash the full one. thats all"

Anyways just letting everyone know as an FYI but only test if you are willing to sacrifice your XR500 which i'm sure 99.9% won't be. Smile

UPDATE I successfully flashed Brainslayers r38060 to my XR500. All appears to be working fine.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Smaller picture next time, please.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now if only I can flash an R9000 with the XR700 firmware to look at the pretty pictures.
Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
shauno100
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:

Apologies I didn't realize there is etiquette as to picture sizes on the forums. Are you referring to the resolution or the file size? As from memory the attachment was only 300kb.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
shauno100 wrote:
Malachi wrote:

Apologies I didn't realize there is etiquette as to picture sizes on the forums. Are you referring to the resolution or the file size? As from memory the attachment was only 300kb.

Read this: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=317078

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad + Blocklist Collection
shauno100
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:
shauno100 wrote:
Malachi wrote:

Read this: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=317078

No worries. I'll keep that in mind going forward Wink
phil49419
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 0:31    Post subject: Re: Netgear XR450, XR500, XR700 Possibly Now Supported Reply with quote
shauno100 wrote:
shauno100 wrote:
Hi All,

UPDATE I successfully flashed Brainslayers r38060 to my XR500. All appears to be working fine.

Hey Shauno100! How were you able to flash your XR500 with dd-wrt? I keep getting a message "invalid firmware image" when I try on my XR450. I am trying with the images located here: https://dd-wrt.com/support/other-downloads/?path=betas%2F2019%2F01-29-2019-r38507%2Fnetgear-xr450%2F
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 16:03    Post subject: Wiki Reply with quote
I would love to start a wiki page for these models on the DD-WRT wiki. Can someone do up quick Factory to DD-WRT installation instructions?

Thanks.

Just PM me the instructions.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
phil49419
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 16:08    Post subject: Re: Wiki Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:
I would love to start a wiki page for these models on the DD-WRT wiki. Can someone do up quick Factory to DD-WRT installation instructions?

Thanks.

Just PM me the instructions.

I would like to help out but not sure how to get it flashed. I extracted the factory-to-ddwrt.img and the header.img is configured for the XR500 and I think that is why its failing to flash on my XR450. I tried editing it with a hex editor and now I get checksum errors when I upload it.
shauno100
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
For the XR500 I just flashed the factory-to-ddwrt.img from the stock netgear firmware upgrade page and that was it.

Let Brainslayer know regarding the XR450 he should be able to sort out that firmware format problem.
dkopsieker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I flashed d-wrt to my xr500. Seems to be working fine. What is the process of flashing back to factory in case I have issues? Thanks.
shauno100
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
dkopsieker wrote:
I flashed d-wrt to my xr500. Seems to be working fine. What is the process of flashing back to factory in case I have issues? Thanks.

You have to flash back via TFTP. Follow the instructions at https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client to setup a TFTP client on your PC with the stock firmware image set as the local file to be flashed.

You then turn off your router, press and hold reset button and turn router on whilst keeping the reset button pressed in. The power LED will eventually start blinking white, once this occurs release the reset button. At this point go back to your PC with TFTP client and then click the put button and it will start flashing. The router will then automatically reboot upon completion. You may also have to do a factory reset in stock firmware once it's restored.

I'm not sure if this router has a dual boot config but i found that my settings in stock firmware were kept after I reverted back.

I was not satisfied that these settings were what i had in stock and may have been the NVRAM settings from DD-WRT so I reset to factory defaults and then reconfigured my settings in stock.

BTW this is the procedure to flash back to stock, DD-WRT is working great for my requirements on my XR500 Smile

Last edited by shauno100 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:01; edited 1 time in total
dkopsieker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
shauno100 wrote:
dkopsieker wrote:

You have to flash back via TFTP. Follow the instructions at https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client to setup TFTP client on your PC with stock firmware image set as local file.

You then turn off router and press and hold reset button until power LED starts flashing white. At this point click the put button and it will start flashing. Router will automatically reboot. You may have to do a factory reset in stock firmware. Not sure if this router has dual boot or it was because I hadn't erased NVRAM but my settings in stock firmware were kept when I reverted back.

Thanks for your help. I greatly appreciate it!!
Tony.dewhurst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:59    Post subject: RE:- XR700 Reply with quote
Tried DD-WRT on this last night the WAN port was set up correctly but never negotiated link.

Wan was set up to VLAN2.

Could it be due to sfp+ port can be WAN its not defaulted to wired??

Back to stock after TFTP put any ideas ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: