Extremely poor wifi signal and quality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
dan801
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 20:35    Post subject: Extremely poor wifi signal and quality Reply with quote
Wrt1900acs v2. I’ve been having long time ongoing issues with both wifi signal strength and signal quality.

Issue is on both 2.4 and 5ghz

Even 4 feet from the router my devices are showing 34-50 % quality. With clear sight. If I’m in another room even adjacent to the router I get almost no signal from either. Router is in clear open space

I was using r31924 up until recently but started getting drop out of the 2.4 signal and WAN dropouts. Changed to r37961 last week and no change.

I have no network channel interference from Neigbours. Tried adjusting channel width and tx but no changes.

Average signal strength is -80, noise -100 across the board, SNR between 15-40

2.4GHz
ModeAP
NetworkN-Only (2.4 GHz)
Channel11 + 7 (2462 MHz HT40)
TX Power30 dBm
Rate600 Mb/s

5ghz
ModeAP
NetworkAC/N-Mixed
Channel149 + 153 (5745 MHz HT40)
TX Power30 dBm
Rate600 Mb/s
Sponsor
BobbyLee
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
How does it perform in comparison if you load up the Linksys firmware? That's how I determine if it's a DDWRT related issue or something else. From around r35898 to r370?? DDWRT WiFi would drop all the WiFi devices while the Linksys firmware had no issues dropping devices.
OpenVPN server
dan801
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
BobbyLee wrote:
How does it perform in comparison if you load up the Linksys firmware? That's how I determine if it's a DDWRT related issue or something else. From around r35898 to r370?? DDWRT WiFi would drop all the WiFi devices while the Linksys firmware had no issues dropping devices.

Manage to override the stock firmware and can’t seem to get it back (been trying)
BobbyLee
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
dan801 wrote:
Manage to override the stock firmware and can’t seem to get it back (been trying)

Is it still in the other partition or did you manage to put DD-WRT in both? If it's in both 'from what I have been told on this forum' you should be able to just load the current Linksys firmware from the DD-WRT Admin/Firmware Upgrade page. Or are you having trouble switching over to the other partion in which case have you tried this procedure from the sticky on this forum:
Power Cycle the router three times.
Using the router’s power switch – turn OFF then turn back ON.
Wait 2 seconds then turn OFF.
Turn back ON.
Wait 2 seconds then turn OFF.
Turn back ON.
Router should have booted into opposite partition.

OpenVPN server
dan801
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I said I’ve managed to override the stock firmware some time ago. I can’t get it back. Tried many times but it keeps bricking the device. Had lots of help from this forum and internet and just can’t re-install without bricking it and going back to Ddwrt. So let’s say I can’t compare to the stock firmware. Any suggestions on settings or something g that’s set in-correct. Is there a stable firmware for 1900acs v2? I’ve plaid with the TX rate and channel settings quite a bit but makes no difference
BobbyLee
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
dan801 wrote:
Any suggestions on settings or something g that’s set in-correct? I’ve plaid with the TX rate and channel settings quite a bit but makes no difference

Sorry, the only difference between your settings and mine is I use NA-Mixed so my Chromecast can connect to 5 GHz and my router is a WRT3200ACM and it all works well. Hopefully someone who has been in your predicament with that same model router can get on here and help you. Good luck.

OpenVPN server
scar1943
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
BobbyLee wrote:

Though I have equipment capable of AC connections, they have proven to be a constant issue to maintain a good solid speed (or even a connection) when more than 20 feet from the router. Since my home is considerably larger, I resigned to the fact that if I want high speed, I needed to be wired, or simply be happy with a 20MHz mixed/N (65 to 130 mbps max seen) for phones, tablets, and laptops. DD-WRT vs Stock firmware irrelevant. They both acted the same for me.

So, though our house has two dual band wifi routers to cover us, they are locked down at static channels, and limited to 20MHz mixed/N due to the neighborhood congestion and a local international airport near by. Any attempt I make to push that limit, and the equipment becomes wifi useless. Desktops, smart TV's and satellite TV equipment are all hardwired. It was the only way to keep dependable connections so family members wouldn't constantly bark about connection issues.

So... In short, I have serious reservations about the usability of anything faster than narrow N speeds in our crowded frequencies. It all looks great on paper, and when selling equipment. But I sorta' kinda' want to be more than 10 or 20 feet from my wireless router...
FLIPPER58
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought another Linksys WRT1200 router this year firmware was updated after taking it out of the box. Installed DD-WRT v3.0-r35874 and configured it as a VPN.

I use 3 NEST cameras that are constantly running via WIFI and viewed through a big desktop computer using wifi connection. The cameras run much better on the 2.4GHz not the 5. I am in an area that is densely populated in the USA and have Gigabit Internet Connection.

I connected the cameras via wifi to the ISP wifi both on 2.4 and 5 GHz and found the 2.4 is best. Live cameras not directly wired to the router instead using WIFI including surveillance cameras all recommend you use 2.4 GHz. I then viewed the live cameras on the desktop computer the video had lots of lag it was unbearable and unwatchable.

When I switch the live cameras over to my VPN router wifi again I found 2.4 GHz worked the best. The desktop is using the 5 GHz VPN router wifi. I was able to view the 3 cameras on desktop with no lag at all. Sometime 1 camera might run 20 seconds behind the other 2 but again the video is excellent and will not lag.

Another thing I found if you keep the desktop on a lot you should clear it's cache through the terminal window at least once every 2 weeks in order for the computer to run at it's best.

OK everything runs great when the cameras and desktop use VPN routers wifi. Now I switch just the desktop wifi back to the ISP and view the live cameras again unbearable lag. Now ask yourself why the ISP wifi which is supposed to be faster than the VPN why are the live cameras lagging so much?

All USA internet providers are all using bandwidth data throttling especially if you live in a densely populated area like I do. In the USA, throttling is legal now (thanks to the repeal of Net Neutrality in 2017). Even though all VPN's have slower internet speeds your bandwidth data won't be throttled and everything runs smooth.
gallo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
first thing I would do is revert to default get ur wifi running with minimal changes see if that helps. second, update to latest firmware see what happens. If no help then its easier to revert to stock to isolate if its a h/w issue
NAS: Iomega ix2-200 CE 4tb, Seagate 1tb usb drive
Wash your hands and DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: