I need to replace my routers, this is driving me crasy

soloam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 16:28    Post subject: I need to replace my routers, this is driving me crasy Reply with quote
Hello all, I have a Asus RT AC66U and a Asus RT AC68U. And I'm going nuts with DDWRT versions.

Don't get me wrong, I love DDWRT and all the hard work that is put in to it! I can't see my self without it.

So I spend hours and hours testing new versions of DDWRT in my routers, only to find out that they simply don't work. Most of them is a VAP problem. I just can't find a stable version that works with VAP and VLAN.

I found one, that works, but is to unstable... I get frequent drops in connections and I need to reboot my router.

So I made the decision to not find a version to my routers, but to sell them and get a model that works 100% with DDWRT.

So I ask!

What is the best compatible router that I can get to DDWRT? A router that recent version simply work, probably a router that @BrainSlayer or @<Kong> normaly testes on

As a specification, it should be AC, it should support DDWRT (lol) and it should work with VLAN and VAP (multiple SSID).

They will be used as Access Points to broadcast several SSID in different VLAN's.

Thank you all
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
R7000 is Broadcom and its similar to your Asus
vlans and vap last Kong builds there ware reports vap is working again but AC 5Ghz im not sure..
the other option is R7800 a better class but vlans are different to set up as its a qualcomm-atheros device
both supported by Kong

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
On my linksys WRT1900ACSv2 (the V2 is generally what is sold now and is not labeled as such in the ads or on the box but only on the label on the bottom of the router), I run three VAPs and split my LAN into two VLANs. Note that you really don't want plain AC or ACv2 or ACSv1. Look for this one trouble-free linksys model or just flee linksys altogether.

Don't even consider the newer linksys WRT32blah models. They have wifi stability issues that drive people nuts, apparently due to proprietary drivers (see Marvell forum). I have had no wifi problems with my model (two routers) though other than two really old 802.11g devices that connect slowly and sometimes drop off. Have never had any issue with n and ac devices. For what's involved in setting up dd-wrt on these models, see the sticky at the beginning of the Marvell forum. It's pretty simple, and the two-partition setup lets you easily backtrack.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
soloam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
R7000 is Broadcom and its similar to your Asus
vlans and vap last Kong builds there ware reports vap is working again but AC 5Ghz im not sure..
the other option is R7800 a better class but vlans are different to set up as its a qualcomm-atheros device
both supported by Kong

Now you stated something that made me think... I set my vlans from the gui! I read that it was working 100%, can it be that the problem? should I be using the command line?

I'lç look into the models... I had a linksys in the past, and I had a lot of problems...

Thank you both...
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
i've never tried R7000 vlans from GUI.. only via CLI and i believe this is the right way...
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
i've never tried R7000 vlans from GUI.. only via CLI and i believe this is the right way...

Ever since I've had R7000s (or any Broadcom) I've always used the GUI to configure VLANs without any issues.

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: