Which router should be the gateway?

securedparty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 13:52    Post subject: Which router should be the gateway? Reply with quote
I have multiple routers in my house. Some are not in immediate use with power connected on. Some are older routers, others newer.

I have Netgears R8500, R7000 and WNDR4300.

Would the following setup make any difference?

--Setup WNDR4300 as the Primary Gateway Router, bridging LAN to WAN, wireless disabled, running firewall security.

--Setup R8500 to run as the Primary WAP and run as a VPN gateway.

--Setup R7000 as auxiliary WAP, secondary VPN gateway, runs NAS (samba and mini DLNA) with connected eHDD.

Would such a setup be optimal? What would you figure the best setup between the three routers would be?
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
the most powerful router must be the edge router so
R8500 as Gateway and VPN/Firewall and ect, than use
R7000 as a secondary router either bridged with no NAT or as a WAP or as an AP with NAT and VPN/firewall and ect....

you can fairly run wndr4300 in WAP mode so nothing special on it that requires CPU as it has the slowest CPU among the other it will be just extension of your main network

the other option is you can divide DHCP and DNS on 2 different routers and leave VPN of the one with more power

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -DD-WRT 55303 Gateway/DoT,Forced DNS,Ad-Block,Firewall,x4VLAN,VPN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
securedparty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
The most powerful router would be running the VPN gateway.

Would there be trouble in the setup with the WNDR4300 as the lead router off the modem (primary gateway)? It wouldn't be running the VPN itself, or used for wireless. Essentially, it would be for DHCP and NAT/Firewall.

Not all devices on my network will be using the VPN, specifically media devices such as droid TV boxes or Smart TVs and Blu Rays.

Devices that I want to use the VPN will be configured to manually run to that router by setting it as the gateway.

Do you think that setting the WNDR4300 as the lead router will congest internet traffic, or the local network traffic itself?
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
it depends from your ISP wan speed as routers with low specs can see much speed in NAT mode Gateway...
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -DD-WRT 55303 Gateway/DoT,Forced DNS,Ad-Block,Firewall,x4VLAN,VPN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
securedparty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
it depends from your ISP wan speed as routers with low specs can see much speed in NAT mode Gateway...

Download speed seems to max around 130 mbps, which may be the limitation of the modem. Currently the plan I have, the default internet plan for cable modem, goes to 150 mbps down, 10 mbps up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: