R7800 Discussion - 2018

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
purchio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm completely new to DD WRT and installed because I was looking for a solution to use OpenVPN with my R7800.

On Voxel firmware I had around 52MBps write and 90MBps read on my two harddrives connected to the router.

After installing DD WRT speeds dropped to 23MBps write and 52MBps read.

Since I use my files for video editing, it's affecting my workflow.

Do you have any suggestions to fix this?

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r37495M kongat (10/28/1Cool

Thanks
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware

new firmwares for qca9880 & 9984

Yea well wonder what the hecks going on with 9980 --- it has been on ath10k firmware ver 10.4-3.5.3-00050 for long long time.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:
https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware

new firmwares for qca9880 & 9984

Yea well wonder what the hecks going on with 9980 --- it has been on ath10k firmware ver 10.4-3.5.3-00050 for long long time.

looks like qca dropped it in favor of qca9984, when the only(?) difference is vht160 & 80+80 support... (which only operates in 2x2 mode anyway, somewhat pointless)..

companies are known for their logic now a days Rolling Eyes

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

mha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys.

I am trying to summarise a sense of how well this router works with DD-WRT. I am looking to replace a WNDR3800v2 which has been running since ages.

I've tried jumping aboard a broadcom router; however with the VLAN / VAP issues I have yet been able to deploy a working version of it. It's collecting dust.

I am seeing discussions about latency issues in this thread. Will this be an issue if jumping aboard this router? I will not be using / implementing QoS. I will be using bridge interfaces to L2 connect VLANs on the switch to individual VAPs with different encryption standards.

I would appreciate if someone using this router could kindly summarise what the major issues are and under what features they would be affected. Thanks a bunch Smile
hyppo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is the size of /jffs2 internal partition it must be?

I read that some have 24Mb but others have 32Mb

When I do erase ddwrt it shows me
Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# erase ddwrt
Flash is NAND
erase[33554432]
which I suppose is 32Mb

But after mounting it is only 24Mb
Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# df -h
Filesystem          Size     Used    Available   Use%   Mounted on
/dev/root         22.6M   22.6M               0  100%    /
none              512.0K          0       512.0K      0%   /dev
ubi0:ddwrt       24.0M   20.0K         22.7M      0%  /jffs

Is it correct or not?

I tried on latest Kong builds both kernel 3 and 4 with the same result
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
mha wrote:
I will not be using / implementing QoS.

in that case, ya u will have latency issues.. the internet without qos is filthy with lag written all over it..

in the other way u mean it, no, local latency without qos is <1ms especially with ethernet.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

mha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
mha wrote:

in that case, ya u will have latency issues.. the internet without qos is filthy with lag written all over it..

in the other way u mean it, no, local latency without qos is <1ms especially with ethernet.

Unless someone is actively DDOS:ing me I believe that I should be perfectly fine with internet traffic. 10Gbit/s fiber uplink to my ISP.

The device itself will receive a full 1Gbit/s with matching Internet connectivity. Pretty much dedicated to itself. No other ports on the device will be used. Just one port with 4 VLANs L2 connected to VAPs. Rest of my wired connections go via my main switch.

I think the WiFi bands will be saturated way before the uplink gigabit port. However; as the performance of wifi is so undeterministic by nature I would not be able to set any good QoS limits anyhow.

My takeaway from your response is that it should work perfectly fine as intended then. Smile Thanks.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
mha wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:
mha wrote:

Unless someone is actively DDOS:ing me I believe that I should be perfectly fine with internet traffic. 10Gbit/s fiber uplink to my ISP.

The device itself will receive a full 1Gbit/s with matching Internet connectivity. Pretty much dedicated to itself. No other ports on the device will be used. Just one port with 4 VLANs L2 connected to VAPs. Rest of my wired connections go via my main switch.

I think the WiFi bands will be saturated way before the uplink gigabit port. However; as the performance of wifi is so undeterministic by nature I would not be able to set any good QoS limits anyhow.

My takeaway from your response is that it should work perfectly fine as intended then. Smile Thanks.

the wifi driver in use has fq_codel in it, so when it saturates it SHOULD not have that horrible near 1000ms bufferbloat on it like we had since forever, i get about +20ms on a saturated 80mhz 2x2 link

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

mha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
mha wrote:

the wifi driver in use has fq_codel in it, so when it saturates it SHOULD not have that horrible near 1000ms bufferbloat on it like we had since forever, i get about +20ms on a saturated 80mhz 2x2 link

That's very cool! I'll have to try it out! Very Happy Ordered the device. Let's see how it rolls.
hyppo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I installed latest Kong 4.9 build and now I need to add torrent transmission

Can I setup all configurations on internal flash /jffs? I have 24 mb there and want to use it, so that only downloaded files will be on external HDD

I can’t find clear instruction on that, everyone suggest to setup transmission config on external usb
portsup
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can do that but it is not advisable because of the limited write cycles on the internal flash it can become stuffed.

You use the parameter -g to set the transmission daemon config files path and you can set the path for downloads inside the transmission config json file.

https://www.mankier.com/1/transmission-daemon
hyppo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
portsup wrote:
You can do that but it is not advisable because of the limited write cycles on the internal flash it can become stuffed.

You use the parameter -g to set the transmission daemon config files path and you can set the path for downloads inside the transmission config json file.

Yes but it won’t be regular writings, right? It is one-time action when I setup configuration

Also, in general which repo is better to use?

Kong’s repo, optware, entware or maybe Voxel’s repo? Are they adopted somehow to particular r7800 model?
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
hyppo wrote:
portsup wrote:

Yes but it won’t be regular writings, right? It is one-time action when I setup configuration

Also, in general which repo is better to use?

Kong’s repo, optware, entware or maybe Voxel’s repo? Are they adopted somehow to particular r7800 model?

Compared to other repos, my repo is built with the exact same toolchain as the firmware is built, there is one patch in our toolchain that is incompatible with other toolchains, apps that use this standard structure will fail, as mem layout is different.

I also use crypto signature to make sure you don't pull in manipulated packages in case someone hacks the hosting server. I'm not aware that the other projects check any crypto signature.

The way I compile all of my builds make it possible to use the repo with different socs. BS often uses different flags, that may give a few percent additional performance but they usually break optware, e.g. if you mix soft/hardfloat

My repo is built with musl libc which is considered to be more secure than uclibc.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:17    Post subject: Problem with IPcam on the newest build Reply with quote
I got a problem with one of my two WIFI IPcams after i just upgraded from build r37120 to r37900.

There was no problem before but now the IPcam try to connect 3 times before it stops. The other IPcam of the same brand and model has no problem and connect instantaneous. I get this in syslog every time it tries:

Dec 5 09:05:11 DD-WRT daemon.info hostapd: ath1: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local deauth request

Edit: Never mind was just because the channel selection was changed. BTW does the newer builds have problems selecting the most optimal channel in crowded space?
murtaza12
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
EDIT: Found all the answers Very Happy
ASUS RP-AC68U - 3.0.0.4.382.40019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 37 of 40
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: