Netgear R6400 (v1) LED night mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mrust71
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 21:41    Post subject: Netgear R6400 (v1) LED night mode Reply with quote
I would like share the adjusted startup script for the DD-WRT v3.0-r36070M kongac (05/31/18) firmware. That turns off all leds (except the power led).
The trick is to turn off the 5GHz led after 30 seconds again - as it will be somehow turned on after executing the startup script.

Put the following lines under Administration - Diagnose - Startup in the dd-wrt control panel:

Code:
for i in 1 2 8 9 12 13 ; do gpio enable $i; done
for i in 10 11 ; do gpio disable $i ; done
et robowr 0x0 0x10 0x0022
# 5.0GHz white off after 30 seconds
(sleep 30 ; gpio enable 8)&
Sponsor
@m0eb@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 14:15    Post subject: About et robowr and stealth/night mode Reply with quote
You seem to be another person interested in the stealth mode / night mode, which has very few takers in this forum. I had a thread on the R6400v2 where the response was dismal at best. https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=317137

Can someone help me understand what is the meaning of the "et robowr" command ...
When you write et robowr 0x0 0x10 0x0022, what exactly do the Hex numbers signify?

This command is different for the R7000 and also for the R6400v2. There is very little material available on this at Mr Google. By trial and error with gpio and et robowr, I have been able to telnet and switch off all LEDs one by one ... but unable to switch some of them ON without a reboot.

Can you check on your 6400v1 running stock on how Netgear implements this. Netgear is able to enable/disable blink and also enable/disable all LED except power without needing a reboot. In the 6400v2, this is done by changing the value of a variable led_settings in nvram.
In Stock Firmware, there are three settings:
* Enable blink on WAN, SSID and LAN (choosing this sets variable led_settings=en_blink on nvram)
* Disable Blink on WAN, SSID and LAN (choosing this sets variable led_settings=dis_blink on nvram)
* Turn off all LEDs except power (choosing this sets variable led_settings=turn_off on nvram_)

You will need to enable telnet and check the value of led_settings in nvram for all three GUI settings of the Netgear Stock Firmware. Perhaps we can together give a gentle push to the devs to implement this in the next dd-wrt version. If Netgear is doing this, it must be too easy for dd-wrt. We just need to get some dev interested enough to solve this. Maybe all it takes is to recognize the led_settings variable as a valid variable in dd-wrt.

BTW: et robowr works only on Kong versions, it seems.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have successfully blacked out my r6400 using the following commands.
The credit is actually due to the two above posters.
The following is a combination of code discovered.

Code:
et robowr 0x0 0x16 0x0
Baja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I realize these are 2 year old posts but, for others, you might find the solution I found for r6700v3 relevant for r6400v2 as well:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324768
@m0eb@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:14    Post subject: Not working in R6400v2 Reply with quote
BR07H3R wrote:
I have successfully blacked out my r6400 using the following commands.
The credit is actually due to the two above posters.
The following is a combination of code discovered.

Code:
et robowr 0x0 0x16 0x0

Connect your ethernet cable to LAN connection 1. Let the light be ON indicating that there is a connection.

Then run your commands.Does the LAN1 LED go off?
Have you checked this? (Because when no cable is connected, this light is naturally off, and the commands will seem to work.)

This light never goes off - even after running the commands you posted and that is my specific problem for past 2 years. Not a big problem, but something I am yet to see a solution for.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've updated my r6700v3 post (still linked above) with recent discovery and updates for the latest build (netgear-r6700v3-webflash-11-05-2021-r47618.bin at time of writing.)

This update included getting Ethernet Port 1 led turned off, hurray!

If any of you go through the update and have any discovery to add or if anything I did was off please let me know in that thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: