geust network wifi

kastrz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 13:24    Post subject: geust network wifi Reply with quote
I am having trouble setting up a guest wifi I have now tried 3 times using the guide from the internet but have not found a guide that fits just the firmware I have. I have not been able to succeed.

I would like a guest network that does not have access to my stuff on my private network, chromcast, tv, sonos, etc.

My router runs with VPN access from NordVPN

I have a Linksys WRT3200ACM, with Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 std (10/10/1Cool

It is set up with router ip 10.10.10.10 and Start IP Address 10.10.10.200

---
Br Kasper
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
did you try this guide too ??
http://tips.desipro.de/2013/12/06/guest-wifi-setup-dd-wrt/

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
kastrz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes I've tried but without luck. If I only create a Virtual Interface, I can not access online or access the internet
SillyWilly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
First, you posted your question/request in the wrong forum. I believe you should have posted it in the “Marvell MVEBU” forum.

But, don’t waste your time because all you will receive is snobbish answers. Your educational background and accrued skill set are meaningless because knowledge is not openly shared with new comers in this kingdom.

I spent close to 18 hours over 5 days trying to implement a virtual wireless guest network but could not achieve my objective. It is now my professional opinion that DD-WRT does not support virtual wireless guest networks and if it does then the implementation is as stable as nitroglycerin.

I finally went back to my router’s OEM firmware because it is the lesser of two evils.

Best of luck in your endeavors!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
SillyWilly yep people very often complain about "those here are not helping me out syndrome" and "if its not working its their fault not ours"...

but those people are also classified as people with poor knowledge mostly willing to ask questions and demand answers... instead of find the info test/report, build their knowledge and success...

this type of people nobody can help....

just to let you know not making guest network to work could be related to a bug in the firmware, bad settings,
scripts interfering with the set up and tons of other things, the last thing is the not shared knowledge...

just to make it clear i did make it work using the guide above and bridging the network instead it took me 10 min to set it up...and test it, it was working...
apart of that there are few guides that pop out from ggl did you tried them all, what was your knowledge base, did you test on few diff firmware builds did you read the forum threads and reports to find out all info...
at the end good luck with your OEM firmware..no hard filings it is always a personal choice what you want to be, and how much effort to spend

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
SillyWilly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
My response was not a personal attack on anyone. It is more of an attack on a philosophy that I do not sanction and never have.

I normally would not do this but there is a reason behind it.
I have degrees in electrical engineering and computers science. My professional languages include Fortran, COBOL/CICS/DB2, C/C++, IBM 360/370 and M68000 assembler. I was a contributing member to many ANSI, ISO & ECMA committees. Most notably X3T9.2 and wrote numerous SCSI and ASPI drivers for Adaptec silicon. My EE background is too complex to list. I also play around with the Adruino and Parallax platforms because it no longer makes sense to program in 6502 or 6809 assembler.

I learned my first week in college to share information; which implies answering questions that others have. We had access to books, libraries, calculators and computers but the best source of knowledge was our support network. I guess you can say that we geeks looked after each other. The quicker and individual came up to speed, the quicker they became an asset to the group.

This philosophy was carried in to my professional career. If one of my subordinates would have refused to answer an intern’s question, or handed them a hardware/software manual and told them to go sit in a corner and read, then they would be in deep shit trouble with me!

What is more valuable to the forum as a whole?
Q: How do I use telnet to access my router?
A: Did you search Google & Youtube?

or

Q: How do I use telnet to access my router?
A: Goto: Start->Control Panel->Programs->Turn Windows features on or off
You will probably need to enable the telnet client by placing a check mark in the box.
Goto: Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt
This will open a command line interface (CLI) window.
Type:
telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your router’s IP address).

If I was the recipient then I would prefer the latter. You answered my question and I can now proceed with my task. Moreover, you gave me a clue on other topics to explore. Furthermore, this individual now possesses new knowledge to share with their friends. Everybody wins!

In my day RS232, RS422, IEEE 488, and IEEE 1284 ruled. Thus, I have limited working knowledge about networks and the OSI model.

DD-WRT is experimental and I understand this. I am ignorant about many of the options made available with this firmware. But, I have spent many hours searching the website and the general internet before actually installing the firmware. There is a lot of clutter on this site. Searching for a topic and then finding a post “did you read” offers little benefit or incentive to continue. A lot of the information is dated and many links return 404 errors. This has been my observation.

My goal here was twofold. First, get DD-WRT working on my router with some reliability. Second, I wanted to offer my technical writing skills to update some of threads with simple but complete instructions on how to do various things for all to read without asking “how do I”. I am disturbed by the fact that you were able to implement a virtual network in 10-minutes and I have spent 18 hours searching, reading and testing.

I have proven my skills time and time again and demonstrated them publicly at COMDEX, CES and NAB to name a few. But obviously not in this forum.

If someone has a working configuration for router with 2.4G and 5G radios along with virtual wireless networks then share it! It will benefit the community at large. It will put someone on a path to success and prevent the same question from being asked over and over again. I do not care if I brick my router but I like to know the cause of death. I already cooked two Intel 875K processors because of my negative bias towards water cooling.

My family needs access to our router for college and work. Thus, my physical play time is limited. I wish you were on this side of the big pond because I would like to see your configuration/solution. I can either go back to stock firmware or build a Faraday cage in my basement so two routers in close proximity will not clash with each other. The neighbor is always a frequency nightmare.

If anything, this thread has proven that engineers are not politically correct.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
well good to have those skills, but bad that you dont have the skill to be patient and read/find your answers
Sadly this community is very much like, did you try to find some info on your own, than did you do some tests, than what ware the results, ok than we will help you...
more over this is the best way to learn otherwise if you keep asking a questions without knowledge its a time wasting nobody can pass all the knowledge in one post step by step is't a time consuming its and effort that nobody is due to you anyway...
There are a lot of ppl that ask a question but in the forum there are tons of answers but they never bother to ggl it and read it they just want it in their way no matter what...
Especially for guest networks just ggl if Guest network DDWRT and there you are 1h reading/digging in ggl results and you are master...
I personally started with 0 knowledge, my first posts ware how to un-brick my router...using serial, i didn't have any answers so i had to do it on my own from the scratch..
now i know very few basic things just to support my set up and i learn a new things just
with diggin'n reading i do not ask a question until i have some tests, results and ect...
To me sometimes is very irritating not to have an answers, but i know the answers are there
somewhere so i keep digging/testing and ect. its also very eye poking to see some ppl that
ask a complex question how to set up a complex task and than demand answers and swear and hate that they dont get what they want Razz as Malachi said

Malachi wrote:
To be honest, this forum is slowly dying. When I first joined all the moderators you see listed where here on a daily basis even Eko, fractal was here daily also.

Click on the moderators and look at the profiles, look at when they last posted. Some haven’t been here in years and years.
Buddee used to delete some of my posts because he said “I don’t want you to get guru status too quickly”. He even got me banned from the forum after cussing me out. Lol

I had to rejoin under a new username. Look up user “joecop67”

so yep its like that well get on with it... readin and testing is the way to progress, fail is the best way to learn Wink

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
SillyWilly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you truly understand my accrued skill set, how can you say “bad that you dont have the skill to be patient and read/find your answers”?

I did not spend 14 semesters in college copying the work of others to earn my degrees. When I said we helped each other it did not imply copying. Even if we did copy homework, each program written and circuit designed has a unique style that identifies the author.

I am in the process of redesigning the CPU board in my Phoenix pinball machine with a replacement based on an Adrino platform. There is no documentation on how to do this. I have to design, breadboard, code, and debug the system. I not bragging here but I know how to do research. I also know when it is time to swallow my pride and ask for help.

My French teacher had the same attitude, as demonstrated here, and I never learned to speak French. I walked out of the class during the second lecture and so did others. But, I did learn Japanese because the instructor had a completely different teaching style. Who ultimately failed?

We definitely have different philosophy when it comes to learning. But, can we agree that one size does not fit all?

I do want to make one thing clear. If my opinions are not welcomed here then the moderators have my permission to delete my account and all associated posts. It is not my intentions to make trouble for the DD-WRT forum and I will not re-apply under a different user name. Lets just say it was an experiment gone bad and learn for it.

William Leger
Aka SillyWilly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
SillyWilly wrote:
If you truly understand my accrued skill set, how can you say “bad that you dont have the skill to be patient and read/find your answers”?

I did not spend 14 semesters in college copying the work of others to earn my degrees. When I said we helped each other it did not imply copying. Even if we did copy homework, each program written and circuit designed has a unique style that identifies the author.

I am in the process of redesigning the CPU board in my Phoenix pinball machine with a replacement based on an Adrino platform. There is no documentation on how to do this. I have to design, breadboard, code, and debug the system. I not bragging here but I know how to do research. I also know when it is time to swallow my pride and ask for help.

My French teacher had the same attitude, as demonstrated here, and I never learned to speak French. I walked out of the class during the second lecture and so did others. But, I did learn Japanese because the instructor had a completely different teaching style. Who ultimately failed?

We definitely have different philosophy when it comes to learning. But, can we agree that one size does not fit all?

I do want to make one thing clear. If my opinions are not welcomed here then the moderators have my permission to delete my account and all associated posts. It is not my intentions to make trouble for the DD-WRT forum and I will not re-apply under a different user name. Lets just say it was an experiment gone bad and learn for it.

William Leger
Aka SillyWilly

don't be Silly Willy silence is a good helper too if nobody responds you will search and find info how to and do it your way.. if you want to do something you would ve done it but you didn't want to learn French and found an excuse, to find an excuse its not sorting you out in fact it gets worst....
cmon ppl already step on the moon how many of them had an excuse not to ???...

Anyway we are here to help... think about this on "we would like to teach you how to fish if you just want a fish go to the fisherman who sales fish......

and someone to lock the door plz ....

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am a multiply degreed EE with a long development and research career and generally agree with SillyWilly, with whom I share a lot of background. The available online dd-wrt information is a disaster and full of old (and generally undated), obsolete information that is worse than useless in that it actively misleads. It can take hours and hours to locate something useful that amounts to one paragraph that can be configured into dd-wrt in minutes. However, it's also true that I have had great help from the forum at times, mostly from a single, sympathetic guru. It's a mixed bag. But there is definitely way too much negative attitude. We need to help each other without assuming the worst of each other. I have time to dig deeper because I am semi-retired. Not everyone has that luxury, and it's beyond unfair to criticize people for their circumstances.

Now, an actual point about the original enquiry in this thread. When I was new to dd-wrt and first setting up a virtual wifi network, the most helpful resource for me was https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Guest_WiFi_%2B_abuse_control_for_beginners, particularly the first half, before the "Quality of Service (QoS)" section. I really didn't need anything else.

Of note: that article uses VLAN to mean a virtual wifi access point, what most dd-wrt people now prefer to call a VAP. The term VLAN is generally reserved for a subset of the LAN ports on the back that has been carved off to be dealt with separately. VAPs are simple in dd-wrt. Setting one up takes only a few minutes once you know what to do. Creating VLANs however is a mess and very dependent on hardware model (see the link at the bottom).

Eventually I added more VAPs, and at that point I did need to realize that the network isolation enabled by the checkbox when setting up a VAP only isolates it from br0, the bridge that is presumed to be the main network. If you need to isolate VAPs from each other, you'll need custom iptables firewall commands. I muddled my way through that in a forum discussion here: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316693. But nothing in this paragraph matters if you only have a main network and one VAP guest network.

Also of note: I've been following the marvell forum at https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=58&topicdays=0&start=0 where your WRT3200ACM and my WRT1900ACSv2 are dealt with, for awhile now, and the WRT3200ACM has clearly been troublesome for many, especially in the area of wifi issues. If there is a "new build" thread in that forum for your particular dd-wrt version, that's where you'll see whether other WRT3200ACM owners have had wifi issues that are hardware related rather than resulting from dd-wrt misconfiguration.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
did you try this guide too ??
http://tips.desipro.de/2013/12/06/guest-wifi-setup-dd-wrt/

Kongs pages have all been taken down. I've grabbed some of the configuration screens and info from the internet wayback machine and repost on to github to preserve the info since the above page is linked all over these forums and on the wiki.

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/2958553/67340619-69d60080-f51d-11e9-979d-de87c7a12d5a.png
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/2958553/67340626-6e021e00-f51d-11e9-8f24-ddb85b579f3b.png

Navigation

Jump to: