1. Remove power cord from router, connect router to PC running TFTP server with a RJ45 cable to any LAN port.
2. Configure TCP/IPv4 on PC to use the following IP address 192.168.0.66/255.255.255.0
3. Extract "TL-WR1043ND-V1-FW0.0.3-stripped.bin" from TL-WR1043ND-V1-stripped.zip. Rename it to "wr1043nv1_tp_recovery.bin" and place it in C:\Temp.
4. Launch TFTP server SW.
Current Directory: C\Temp
Server Interface: 192.168.0.66
5. Use a pin/paper clip and press the reset button. While holding it down, connect the power cord to the router. In about 30 sec there will be activity on the TFTP interface- release reset button. If no activity try again (worked for me on the 2nd attempt).
6. Wait for about 2~5 mins, the LED on the router will blink as usual.
7. Change back to Obtain an IP address automatically (see step 2)
8. In a new tab on your browser type in 192.168.1.1 and the TP-Link OEM web UI should appear.
9. Login, ID & PW for both is admin
10. From the upgrade page select factory-to-ddwrt.bin file from any of the releases you D/L earlier.