D-Link DIR-878 A1 Support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
klgoh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am using the latest build DD-WRT v3.0 r336808 std (30/8/1Cool on DIR-878. The firmware run for a day without reboot. Look good.

But I found some software bug as follows:

1. At Status -> Wan, when you click "Disconnect" button, the Wan connection will disconnect but the Disconnect button still show Disconnect (it should show Connect), therefore you can not click the button to reconnect the Wan connection. The only way is to reboot the router.

2. At Wireless -> Basic Setting -> Wireless Mode, if I change the mode to Disable, the WiFi did not go off. I notice at the Status Windows, the Mac address for both 2.4G and 5G will show garbage, the client can not connect to the WiFi anymore even the one I did not disable.

Any one can advise on these?
Sponsor
zeny1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys, I am a complete noob. I almost never play with the settings, just set my wireless channel + width and password it. I enable IPv6 prefix 64 and leave the rest untouched.

I was experiencing weird packet loss with the latest build while watching streams I'd get network error'd and gaming would have small windows of ping spike.

Any of you guys willing to share some step by step settings you switch to improve connection? I feel that there might be some settings I need to change to make my connection stronger.

I am using 36330 now because this seems to be slightly more reliable on ethernet connection + wifi.
tissuelord
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
turetto wrote:

So, you told about the build r36808(I think is the newest), so what do you think about it? With this issues is better than original firmware??

Sorry I haven't been able to reply, been testing the router with the stock firmware. Right now, the stock firmware is pretty stable and the latest release (1.11) has a fix for the KRACK attack.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try any other DD-WRT build. The version I tested was pretty unstable, the router would reboot after two days and connection strength was pretty bad.

I'll probably give it another spin once I'm ready to break my network config.

klgoh wrote:
I am using the latest build DD-WRT v3.0 r336808 std (30/8/1Cool on DIR-878. The firmware run for a day without reboot. Look good.

But I found some software bug as follows:

1. At Status -> Wan, when you click "Disconnect" button, the Wan connection will disconnect but the Disconnect button still show Disconnect (it should show Connect), therefore you can not click the button to reconnect the Wan connection. The only way is to reboot the router.

2. At Wireless -> Basic Setting -> Wireless Mode, if I change the mode to Disable, the WiFi did not go off. I notice at the Status Windows, the Mac address for both 2.4G and 5G will show garbage, the client can not connect to the WiFi anymore even the one I did not disable.

Any one can advise on these?

I had these same problems during my test. For Wireless, you need to wait it out a bit. There's a funny delay that happens when toggling the wifi on and off, but the setting will take effect after a few... minutes. (The same also happens on stock firmware... looks like it's a hardware thing.)

Did you also encounter any restarts after 48 hours? Mine seemed to spontaneously die after that amount of time.

Hope a DD-WRT dev could chime in for us.
casualtester
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Possibly a D-Link design problem.
Following posted at D-Link > Support > Downloads > Release Notes:
3. Fix the bug: losing connecting with the specific modem daily.

UPDATE:
No reboots encountered yet with build 10-10-2018-r37305.
It has been up and running for the past two days and counting...
zeny1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
10-10-2018 build is working amazingly well so far for me too.

I can highly recommend. Not a single restart, been running for 3 days straight. It runs 3 wired computers and 7 wireless devices. So far so good.
casualtester
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Uptime of 6 days plus with build 10-10-2018-r37305

Will be testing new build, so uptime recording will cease.
casualtester
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
My impression of 10-19-2018-r37442 release,
I stopped testing it within matter of minutes for the DIR-878.

Problem: The 10-19-2018-r37442 release triggered test computer system to constantly release and renew network connection within matter of minutes. The router's LAN ports acting wonky? or router was rebooting? without the LEDs not displaying reboot process?
Temporarily solved the issue by rebooting the computer system. Temporary, since the problem would repeat, possibly due to moderate/high network traffic?

Same symptoms as some previous releases, 09-21-2018-r37012, 08-22-2018-r36698, 08-14-2018-r36596... Not sure about some releases in between such as 09-19-2018-r36995, since I did not bother to test.

Reverted to build 10-10-2018-r37305
Lee_oz_4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all i would love some help i have a dir-878
with Current Firmware Version: 1.12
do i still use factory-to-ddwrt.bin file any help is verythank full Very Happy
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lee_oz_4 wrote:
Hi all i would love some help i have a dir-878
with Current Firmware Version: 1.12
do i still use factory-to-ddwrt.bin file any help is verythank full Very Happy

Well let’s analyze this. You are on factory firmware and want to go to dd-wrt.
Factory to dd-wrt.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes installing DD-WRT on my dir-878 that cane with Firmware Version:1.10 and I upgraded to Firmware Version: 1.12
so will factory-to-ddwrt.bin file still workplz

and then do i install this file second dlink-dir878-a1-webflash.bin
casualtester
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lee_oz_4,
You may want to browse through this forum. There was feedback in the past, of those having difficulty installing dd-wrt on some of the DIR-878/882 routers.
I don't rememeber if it was due to the region specific stock firmware or stock firmware in general.

Another thing to keep in mind,
Not aware of any file to revert back to stock, if you don't like the dd-wrt firmware.
e.g. Bugs such as non-functioning reset button reported by Malachi
KaliBreizh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys! Just bought a DIR-882 (v.A1) and, I know, it's 878's topic but I heard it's almost the same, except for the USB port.

Anyway, it comes with firmware v1.10 and I thought it was the reason why I couldn't flash with DD-WRT firmware after reading this :

tissuelord wrote:
mozzenior wrote:
I recently bought a DIR-878 and its firmware is v1.10, and I can't update it to dd-wrt.

According to D-Link's firmware release note, v1.10 adds support to encrypted firmware. I suspect this is why I can't update it to dd-wrt.

Anyone know how to downgrade official firmware in order to update it to dd-wrt?

if coming from version 1.10 or higher, you need to flash down to 1.04 first.

this is included in the 1.10 firmware from D-Link's support website. the file name should be DIR878A1_FW104B05_Middle_FW_Unencrypt.bin

to flash the unencrypted firmware, make sure you go into D-Link's Router Recovery mode:

- power off the router
    - hold the reset button
    - power on the router while holding the reset button for 10-15 seconds
    - the router's power light will be orange and start blinking
    - set your IP address manually and connect to 192.168.0.1

Which I followed and was able to downgrade flash to v1.04 unencrypted firmware (but with the 882 one, obviously Wink).

Still, I can't flash with DD-WRT firmware :/

I tried the 10-10-2018, which seems to be the more stable so far, then with 10-16-2018 and 10-19-2018 but I always have the same error saying "failed to update firmware"..

Any idea?

Thx
casualtester
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
You may want to try flashing it with an older dd-wrt firmware first, such as 11-16-2017-r33772.

If successful, then update to a more current firmware such as 10-10-2018-r37305.

Note, you may need to manually restart the router.
KaliBreizh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright, thx casualtester!

I will try this in few hours after work and will let you know Smile

Also, I wondering : in order to update an old dd-wrt firmware to a newer one I have to use the webflash one, right?
casualtester
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
KaliBreizh wrote:
... Also, I wondering : in order to update an old dd-wrt firmware to a newer one I have to use the webflash one, right?

Correct.
Since you have the DIR-882, you would use dlink-dir882-a1-webflash.bin files.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 11
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: