Netgear R7000 setup problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
SisyphusBond
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 21:56    Post subject: Netgear R7000 setup problems Reply with quote
My old router died abruptly last week, so I bought a new Netgear R7000 and have been trying to set up dd-wrt on it (Kong v3.0-r36070M kongac (05/31/18)). I'm having more trouble than last time I tried this, and I'm hoping someone can help me with a few issues I'm having.

Firstly, is there a limit on wireless virtual interfaces? At the moment, I have three 2.4Ghz SSIDs that I want. I tried temporarily setting up a fourth to mirror the setup on my old router, so I could try to connect to a few devices to change the wifi settings rather than reset them completely. Every time I try to add a fourth, I lose internet access to every device connected to the router by wifi.

Secondly, I can't get DNS with dnsmasq to work at all. Every time I try to go through the instructions, again I lose internet access with most devices.

Third, and most irritating, I can't seem to specify a static lease for anything without half of my devices suddenly refusing to connect to the wifi.

I realise some of this may be a bit vague, but I've spent the last 3 days trying to get all sorts of things fixed and set up and so my brain is all over the place. I'm happy to provide any further relevant detail as requested.

Can anyone help me?
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
First advice : telnet to you router and do:"erase nvram" and then "reboot"
Setup router from scratch manually.

VAP's are a bit of a mess and yes 2 seems the limit.

DNSMasq is on by default so I do not know what your are setting (DNSsec is a different story)

I am on the latest KONG test build, you can consider trying that one.
Always "erase nvram" (well not always but in case of troubles like you are having)

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
SisyphusBond
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:

I tried that, and eventually got everything working fine. I don't think I did anything differently.

Then tonight I rebooted the router and suddenly half of my devices (all of the Android devices, I think) can't connect to the wifi anymore. They just keep getting stuck saying "Obtaining IP Address" forever.
@m0eb@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
SisyphusBond wrote:
egc wrote:

I tried that, and eventually got everything working fine. I don't think I did anything differently.

Then tonight I rebooted the router and suddenly half of my devices (all of the Android devices, I think) can't connect to the wifi anymore. They just keep getting stuck saying "Obtaining IP Address" forever.

Ditto that.

Happening with most recent builds.

BS has suggested a workaround in his thread for build 37139 (see link - First Post - Point 5). This did not work for me either. Try it and see if it works for you ... please make a post if it does.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316939&start=0

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
@m0eb@ wrote:
BS has suggested a workaround in his thread for build 37139 (see link - First Post - Point 5). This did not work for me either. Try it and see if it works for you ... please make a post if it does.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316939&start=0

Everything seems to be working at the moment, so I'm perhaps inclined to leave it for now.

I'll add the code they suggest though, in case anything further goes wrong and I have to reboot.

I'll report back on the results.
@m0eb@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
All the best !!!

This did NOT work for me - but I wish it does for you. (Most others have reported success)

@Devs: Please note. Many of us would love to have a stable version to work with. (A mammoth thank you to all devs.)

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
@m0eb@ wrote:
All the best !!!

This did NOT work for me - but I wish it does for you. (Most others have reported success)

@Devs: Please note. Many of us would love to have a stable version to work with. (A mammoth thank you to all devs.)

It doesn't seem to be working for me, either.

If this is just a problem with more recent builds, how far back do I need to go to avoid the problem?
@m0eb@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
SisyphusBond wrote:

If this is just a problem with more recent builds, how far back do I need to go to avoid the problem?

Dunno mate. I had seen this mentioned in several places (maybe since last 12-18 months). I had seen a comment by BS himself on VAP support and something to do with the new-age drivers. Haven't noted down which thread.

My router R6400v2 did not have dd-wrt support before Kong's 36820 - hence never needed to search for older builds. With my earlier router (E900) this feature used to work like a charm - solving many problems of my routing life.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have had this happen to me. I run dual stack ip v4/v6.
My ipv4 only devices are affected. My work around has worked 100% of the time for me.

Go to the services tab once the issue occurs. Click apply

Done?
SisyphusBond
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
BR07H3R wrote:
I have had this happen to me. I run dual stack ip v4/v6.
My ipv4 only devices are affected. My work around has worked 100% of the time for me.

Go to the services tab once the issue occurs. Click apply

Done?

I *think* this has been working for me, but I couldn't identify the cause before. I just knew it seemed to come back occasionally for some reason.

Everything is running (mostly) as I want it to at the moment, so I'm reluctant to break it to test, but I'll report back the next time that it inevitably goes wrong.
HalfBit
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
SisyphusBond wrote:
@m0eb@ wrote:
All the best !!!

I am on build 36070M for my R7000, and haven't had any issues with my VAPs. I only run one additional VAP on each band, though, for guest wifi. That may or may not give you a point of reference.

WRT54Gv2
WRT54Gv8.2
~~~~~~~~~~Other Settings~~~~~~~~~
https://nextdns.io/?from=2d3sq39x
https://pi-hole.net/
https://github.com/DNSCrypt/dnscrypt-proxy
giuliomagnifico
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a VAP for my guest devices that must not see the routers or other devices (i.e. some chinese domotics things) and it works great, it was a bit complicated to set up. I'm running the latest Kong build.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: