IoT isolated Lan/WiFi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Nova5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 16:46    Post subject: IoT isolated Lan/WiFi Reply with quote
NetGear R7000 - Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r36154 std (06/16/18)

I want to set up a 2nd isolated network for IoT devices.
IoT Network wanted have its own Wifi and a Lan port.

I have a isolated unbridged guest network(wl0.1) already but don't want to use it for IoT, dns redirect and other fun things to lock it up.

Creating the IoT (wl0.2) wifi network causes both the guest network and IoT wifi to be inaccessible (Neither show up on SSID scanning, nor can they be manually connected to). Both are on the 2.4GHz band.

Deletion of wl0.2 will allows wl0.1 to resume operation.

Can the build I have and the R7000 not handle 2 virt-wifi's on top of the main wifi? If This can be fixed I do think I have the rest workable, I'll just have to put it back together after figuring out the wifi issue.

Last edited by Nova5 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 13:03; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Nova5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Command run..

nvram show|grep corerev

Response..

size: 49434 bytes (16102 left)
wl1_corerev=42
ping_ip=nvram show|grep corerev
wl_corerev=
wl0_corerev=42

(Ahh, the answer to The Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything.)
Nova5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried using the 5Ghz Wl1 radio.. creating Wl1.1 causes my main 5Ghz wifi network to drop out, and the VAP does not show up on it, however both the main and vap of the 2.4Ghz remain operational.
@m0eb@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Inspired by your post at the other topic, I just managed to separate 2 LAN ports to a different subnet.

Relevant wiki are:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Detached_Networks_%28Separate_Networks_With_Internet%29
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switched_Ports

In your case you could separate one LAN connector exclusive to IoT. For WiFi, you could either set up a VAP or use one of the two available SSIDs (2.4 or 5 GHz) or configure a second router as repeater catering solely to IoT devices.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
One needs to be able to not have the new wifi vap kill other wifi funtions. That's the current hurdle, the rest is easy peasy. Thanks for the info though.
@m0eb@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nova5 wrote:
One needs to be able to not have the new wifi vap kill other wifi funtions. That's the current hurdle, the rest is easy peasy. Thanks for the info though.

With the recent builds, I have been unable to configure VAP ... Either it does not work itself or does not allow the other (original) SSID to work. Both SSIDs show up , but devices are unable to connect to one or both of them.

In build 37139, jwh suggests a workaround (first post - point 5) - but this too did not work for me. You could try out and see if this works for you.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316939

I have isolated out the 2.4 GHz to create my second subnet. Sorely missing VAP support, which was also easy peasy with 2-year old builds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: