Which existing router best suited for security cam bridge?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
acrosteve
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 21:50    Post subject: Which existing router best suited for security cam bridge? Reply with quote
My desire is to create one or two wireless bridges using hardware I already have. Primary purpose is for a remote ip camera or two.

I have 3 old routers A linksys WRT54GS v.2, another linksys WRT160N V3, and finally a D-Link DIR-615 A1.

Well, actually I have 4 - I also have a linksys BEFW1154 ver.4 wireless B. I do not find it listed in the database, so I figure it is worthless due to it's age.

Anyway, the WRT54GS has and external antenna but is only wireless G. The WRT160N is a wireless G or N, but does not have external antenna. The 615 G or N and has external antenna.

My primary router that I will be connecting to is an Asus RT-ACRH13.

I think my preference is to use the WRT54GS as I believe it will be adequate regarding the data and it has external antenna. But, looking through the pages, it seems there is an increased chance of bricking the earlier versions of the WRT54GS. Also, there are several "generic" versions of DD-WRT. I think the mini_generic is the best one for me.

Otherwise, the D-Link 615 has external antenna and wireless N, but it seems to have the potential for installation troubles. Also, the 615-A1 is not listed in the database. That may be a very simple decision.

That leaves me with the WRT160N. I see it has much fewer choices for flash files, which potentially simplifies things. Basically, just one choice as I do not have a need for a vpn on that router. It is wireless N capable, but there are no external antenna. I wonder how much that would effect the wireless range?

I think it comes down between the WRT54GS and the WRT160N
Either will accommodate the data, but which can expect a greater range from?

Going to get started reading in the peacock thread.

Thanks
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: