ProFTP - works then files disappear?

Lights_On
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 15:19    Post subject: ProFTP - works then files disappear? Reply with quote
Hi All,

I would be very grateful for some support with ProFTP on DD WRT (R7000 - DD-WRT v3.0-r37015M kongac (09/23/1Cool)

• Files keep deleting / diapering randomly? Can’t manually reproduce the situation.
• Occasionally need to use “killall -HUP proftpd” to restart ProFTP – but should not need to right?

I have tried with USB stick 32GB, and a powered 1TB drive, played with all formats and partitions but currently have the USB with 1GB ext2 as /opt and the rest as Data again ext2. Auto mount works fine and mounts data to “/dev/sda1 mounted to /tmp/mnt/sda1” but oddly on the NAS tab to point the FTP Paths I have “/mnt” and “/mnt/sda1” not sure why I have 2 options?
I have tried both the USB slots also.

I am not sure where to start my search to obtain a stable and reliable FTP
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
/tmp/ and /tmp/mnt/ are located in RAM. They do not survive a boot.

/mnt/sda1 is on the disc volume.
Lights_On
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay great - thank you. So i have “/mnt” and “/mnt/sda1” and have now selected “/mnt/sda1”. Is it correct that on the USB tab it shows as auto mounted "/dev/sda1 mounted to /tmp/mnt/sda1"?

Is there a way to auto restart ProFTP if it stops? Perhaps a command in code to add to start up commands that checks every 5 minutes and issues a restart if not service detected?

Thank you for your help.
@m0eb@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:58    Post subject: Convert ext2 to ext4 (or re-format to ext4) Reply with quote
In addition to what PYB has mentioned, convert your ext2 partition to ext4 (or at least ext3).

ext4 is more forgiving when there is abnormal or irregular reboot of the router.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Thank you for helping. Its appreciated.

I have reformatted to ext4 but same issue.

I can now reproduce however, the delete happens on each reboot. Same is the case if I make path for ftp /opt or /mnt or /mnt/sda2. Always all files delete.

Not sure if relevant but also noticed is that I have 2 users, 1 is set to access both shares and the other just their own. The user that sees just there share see's uploaded files but the user that should have access to both shares see's nothing?
@m0eb@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not using ProFTP, but faced this issue once. In my case, ext4 helped. (My router and dd-wrt build are different).

I'm guessing ... maybe something in your startup or shutdown firewall script is erasing the drive during auto-mounting. Let's wait for someone who has more experience.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Thanks again for helping.

So I did have YAMOn installed. But have followed all removal guides and that can’t be effecting things. And even if I had left it, nothing with it that deletes or writes to that location? I have checked start up and shut down command / scripts and nothing there either that writes or deletes? Really odd. Any other thoughts very welcomed.
Lights_On
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,

Just a further update in that any large file transfer takes out the router (wifi drop out for everything) causing a need for a total power off and on to get it back. Can replicate with a file of 350mb or so. This to me all points to the USB drive not being mounted correctly or something - even though it says all is fine? and as such the large file fills any space on the router and it falls over? just an idea but how to test and trouble shoot if mounts all state correct mounts?
NightchickenhawkX10
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi I don't know whether it's better to dredge up this old thread, or to start a new one, but I am having these exact symptoms on my Nighthawk X10 with DD WRT v3.0-r42335.

I followed instructions, best I could, to set up NAS/FTP and that works. I access it from multiple computers, I upload and download, just like I expect.

Drive: Western Digital regular spinning USB drive, 5gig
Path: /mnt/sdb2
Name: sdb2
Access: Read/Write
Access Shares: [x]

But from time to time the contents of the drive just... disappear. It goes back to empty, no files. This last time it hadn't happened for two weeks, then I rebooted the router and when it came up the files were not on the drive. (Nor are they 'there' when I plug it into my computer to check.)

Furthermore, if I try to upload a very large file, the router just dies and reboots itself. Just like user Lights_On describes!

I'm a nerd but not this kind of nerd, I need pointers on what might be the problem and where I might start educating myself to solve it.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Path: /mnt/sdb2

Does the drive mount to the same name each time?

You must have two drives attached (sda and sdb)
There is also two partitions on the drive sdb1 and sdb2.

You can see the mounting log at Services->USB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: