Antivirus on dd-wrt ... does it make any sense?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions
@m0eb@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:57    Post subject: Antivirus on dd-wrt ... does it make any sense? Reply with quote
My first thought about antivirus on dd-wrt is that the router will slow down - needing to do additional checks on every packet coming in and going out. But I see mentions of clamav, bitdefender and similar packages in some places - meaning that my first guess is probably wrong.

Anyone using antivirus on the router? What are the pros and cons? What are the options available to a dd-wrt user? Any reviews available?

ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Way back, when I first got into DD-WRT, I asked Chadster766 on the Linksys boards about installing Snort on the router (Back then a WRT1900AC). He was able to do it with his own firmware, McDebian, but it is VERY CPU intensive and that increases of course on how much bandwidth you use. You are right about it inspecting and in Snort's case recording every packet.

In the end I put it on a virtual box that has a i7 5820K running it on a 300mbps connection with 5 cores active on the virtual side, and it keeps up with it. I did have it on an 4 core with 3 dedicated and it would max it out, sometimes dropping the packets.

Although a virus scanner may not take as much horsepower.

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
@m0eb@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
ATHF wrote:
it is VERY CPU intensive and that increases of course on how much bandwidth you use. You are right about it inspecting and in Snort's case recording every packet.

Thanks.

I guess installing AV on client devices is much easier and stress free. It was worth an ask though.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: