R7000 and multicast issues?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
joncarlson
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 0:33    Post subject: R7000 and multicast issues? Reply with quote
Hi,
I've got a Netgear R7000, was running an old version for a while but had been having issues with iPhone/iPad disconnection. I blindly updated to a recent build, which didn't help (actually sort of made them worse).

I have now found and updated to Kong's latest version, 36070M. I noticed in some thread that apparently the multicast issue was fixed in 37097, but I can't find that build for the R7000.

In addition, the workaround described as adding multicast_to_unicast=1 doesn't have an input box in which to add it.

Could someone summarize what the latest, best build for R7000 is as well as how to overcome issues of iPhone/iPad disconnects? Thanks very much!
Sponsor
mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a family's R7000 with build 36070M with over 23 days uptime and they have iphones, ipads and a macbook without any issues. No work arounds used or needed.

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
joncarlson
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
mac913 wrote:
I have a family's R7000 with build 36070M with over 23 days uptime and they have iphones, ipads and a macbook without any issues. No work arounds used or needed.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I think it's a hair better than before, but I've seen the dropout once or twice briefly now in the past 24 hours or so. Jury's still out I think, though of course I don't know that it's the multicast issue at fault, could be lots of things.

One thing I have noticed - I recently (before this build) turned on the QoS, and speed test results (from dslreports) changed obviously when QoS was on vs off. The speeds were capped by the "declared" bandwidth limit I entered, and the "bufferbloat" measure went from large to near zero. Consistent.

With this build, whether QoS is on or off, the results are the same. Big buffer bloat, no discernible difference in speeds regardless what I set the bandwidth limits to. It's like QoS isn't doing anything. Would certainly like to hear ideas on that one too.

Thanks!
BR07H3R
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
What's the status of sfe on your router?
On-or-Off?
joncarlson
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
BR07H3R wrote:
On-or-Off?

I have to confess ignorance - im not sure what SFE is. Couldn’t find it in the settings pages. So I assume it is off, but since I don’t know I’m not certain. What is SFE, and what would it affect?
joncarlson
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
joncarlson wrote:
BR07H3R wrote:
On-or-Off?

I have to confess ignorance - im not sure what SFE is. Couldn’t find it in the settings pages. So I assume it is off, but since I don’t know I’m not certain. What is SFE, and what would it affect?

Sorry, hasty reply. I just googled and learned it is one of the wireless modes.

I recently (trying to solve my problem with iPhone/iPad disconnects) changed from 2.4ghz NG-mixed to N-only, and at the same time went from Auto to Wide. Same time changed 5ghz from AC/N mixed to AC Only, and also channel width from auto to VHT (80mhz).

Is that SFE? It does seem to have helped the iPhone dropout issue but not quite completely gone.
BR07H3R
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
|Shortcut Forwarding Engine|
It's on the setup tab near the top.
Don't quote me here.
I think if SFE IS on QOS will NOT work.
I've seen some reports of broken QOS on certain builds.
Make sure to search the specific build thread that you are using. That way you can verify others have had success getting QOS working.
Also make sure to search the relevant threads to make sure that specific build isn't bricking routers with similar hardware.
This is the big one.. I've heard many reports of ppl with similar issues.
Unfortunately the solution is to use builds older than 2018.
joncarlson
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
BR07H3R wrote:
|Shortcut Forwarding Engine|
It's on the setup tab near the top.
Don't quote me here.
I think if SFE IS on QOS will NOT work.

Finally had a chance to come back to this - found the setting as you said, and disabling it makes QOS work again.

Thanks very much for the help!

I also learned about Shortcut Forwarding Engine, thanks.
BR07H3R
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's what we're all here for (hopefully).
I will probably be learning from you in no time Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: