Netgear WNDR4500v2 'froze' while rebooting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
SisyphusBond
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:12    Post subject: Netgear WNDR4500v2 'froze' while rebooting Reply with quote
This happened just before I left for work, so may be too vague a question for now, but I thought I might as well ask so I can gather ideas before I head home to try fix it.

I have a Netgear WNDV4500v2 router that has been running DD-WRT for several years now (I think 4 or 5). I updated to a recent version of DD-WRT early in 2018 (I think) and it's been running pretty much fine ever since.

I found some ad-blocking code that I have used for most of that time (my children have almost never seen an advert, thankfully) which occasionally seems to stop working until I reboot the router. This happens every few months or so, I guess.

That happened today and this morning I rebooted the router through the button in the Admin page, the same as I always do.

The router rebooted, and after a few minutes everything connected back to my local WiFi networks again, but nothing could get through to the internet. I then tried to go into the web interface to see if I could figure it out, and that didn't connect either. I tried plugging my laptop in via an ethernet port, and still had no luck.

I've tried unplugging it for 20 minute, rebooting manually a few times. It's always the same.

Can anyone give me some quick advice for what to try that doesn't involve wiping it completely and starting afresh*?

* which I'm not averse to doing, but it's a lot of work and I already have a busy weekend ahead of me.
Sponsor
deslatha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 13:21    Post subject: Re: Netgear WNDR4500v2 'froze' while rebooting Reply with quote
SisyphusBond wrote:

I found some ad-blocking code that I have used for most of that time (my children have almost never seen an advert, thankfully) which occasionally seems to stop working until I reboot the router. This happens every few months or so, I guess

* which I'm not averse to doing, but it's a lot of work and I already have a busy weekend ahead of me.

The Netgear WNDR4500v2 has BCM4706 cpu running @600mhz; ad-blocking code overload leading overheat cpu. You need open and disassembling the router to change thermal pad due to poor design but it look like too later now. Go looking other one like ea6900 or dir868l that very cheap due to bad FW and cfe. now these router had been fixed and running very well, may be better than asus rt-ac68u cause it has dual polarity array antenna intead Dual Polarity Omnidirectional antenna.
Here some example:https://www.ebay.com/itm/D-Link-DIR-868L-Wireless-Dual-Band-Gigabit-Wi-Fi-Black-4-Port-Router-Working/332829432725?epid=140842549&hash=item4d7e2e1b95:g:xXIAAOSwNjxbrAIz
under 40 bucks or cheaper if you reseaching. Malachi may has some.

NG4500v2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  462.89 KB
 Viewed:  632 Time(s)

NG4500v2.png

SisyphusBond
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's something that hadn't even occurred to me. It's been running with it for about 2 years so I assumed all was fine.

I've had it for 6 years, so perhaps it's time for a new router anyway.

Is there any way I can recover anything from it? I'm not sure there was much there I would need to, but it would be nice to know.
deslatha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any electronic production in US usually are design to run around a-half speed and liffespan around 3 years but not to Made and design by China where it tweaker over 100% . Fcc in this case is a good guy.
Turn off router then put in a seal bag then put in freezer for 6 hours. After that you can try again to recover if it work. you may take off top cover or put a usb fan under bottom of router. if you open cpu cover then you will notice that thermal pad not really contact well to cpu. No thermal paster at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: