WPA3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2
iycgtptyarvg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
d0ug wrote:
iycgtptyarvg wrote:
Which devices support WPA3? All new phones? Also older phones/tablets/laptops?

Very little if anything on the market supports WPA3 yet. It was only announced a few months ago. You're probably looking more towards the end of the year to early next year to see support. Also I would say the WPA3 support in DDWRT isn't quite ready yet either. I tried enabling the mixed WPA2/3 mode on my WRT1200AC v2 lastnight and had lots of flaky connectivity with my WPA2 devices, I have nothing to test the WPA3. I went back to WPA2 only mode and everything returned to normal.

Aha! So, there is a WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode? That is great news.
Sponsor
punker_4_real
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
AKA_SK wrote:
Now we just have to wait WPA3 update/upgrade release for the clients.
too bad most will be EOLed before they get it (they are too lazy to test it etc...)

iycgtptyarvg wrote:
Which devices support WPA3? All new phones? Also older phones/tablets/laptops?

No even intel did not push wifi patches for older hardware

But you can use a cheat adapter in older laptops m2 (EA keyed)to mini-PCI-Express
to use the latest WiFi card

intel or the laptop manufacture may claim it's illegal to use a newer wifi card.. so if you have a dell laptop you have to use a dell branded wifi card for it to work. etc..

intel even removed the drivers permanently from there site as well
(so they can force you to buy a new computer)
they are just trying to get you to buy a new laptop All about $$$$$$$$$ Rolling Eyes I prefer the intel cards for wifi Since it stays connected when the computer is in stand by mode
I don't have to reconnect wasting time when i get out of standby.. like with other cards sometimes the other cards take awhile to reconnect.. or i end up rebooting the computer wasting more time. to try and reconnect
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
hahaha everyone here is looking for free dinner...
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ---DD-WRT 46885 BS AP,NAT,AP Isolation,Ad-Block,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT,VPN,VLAN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ---DD-WRT 46885 BS AP,NAT,AD/Block,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT,VPN,VLAN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ---Gargoyle OS 1.12.0 AP,NAT,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm/IPQ8065
Netgear R7800 -----DD-WRT 46885 BS AP,NAT,AD-Block,AP&Net Isolation,VLAN's,Firewall,Local DNS,DoT
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 -----DD-WRT 46885 BS AP,Wi-Fi OFF,NAT,AD-Block,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,VLAN's,DoT,VPN
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stubby for DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
bdg2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
hahaha everyone here is looking for free dinner...

I'll have yours if you don't want it.
johnnyNobody999
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using firmware 41027 on my wrt3200acm router. I noticed that there are check boxes for several types of wifi encryption. That leads me to believe that I can use all of those wifi encryption schemes concurrently/simultaneously without issues. Is that the way things work? I'd like to use WPA3 but I'm wondering if the WPA2 devices will still work if I select both WPA3 and WPA2 on the router. I don't want to experiment to see what happens so that the users don't get angry.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just hope this sh*t is already fixed:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/367752/flaws-in-wi-fis-new-wpa3-protocol-can-leak-a-networks-pass

And, the list doesn't look to be very big on what supports WPA3 out of the box yet:

https://www.wi-fi.org/product-finder-results?sort_by=default&sort_order=desc&capabilities=16

It'll be 2023 by the time WPA3 is 'normal', I suspect.
johnnyNobody999
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bummer. Looks like they'll still be able to patch against the security issues. But, nothing stays secret/secure forever.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
dd-wrt has WPA3 for at least some routers. The GUI shows it for my WRT1900ACSv2 in I believe every build this year. But I've seen forum posts -- sorry I don't remember where -- pointing out that you need all clients to use it. However, that same discussion also pointed out that if you have some but not all clients on WPA3, you could create a VAP set up to use WPA3 Personal while your other wifi interfaces continue to use WPA2 Personal. Then you could transition gradually as your older clients get retired.
Five WRT1900ACSv2's on 42926, 44048, 46069: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, client mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), DDNS, wireguard servers and clients (AzireVPN), two DNSCrypt DNS providers (incl Quad9) via OpenVPN/wireguard clients.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
well i do have WP3 on my routers, but so far i haven't seen, many clients that support it...in fact i tested
WPA3 couple of months ago with Intel wi-fi card, and it was ok, but every hour or so there ware, drops-reconnects...
So far, the only use for WPA3 is router to router client/bridge kind off ...but with those reconnects it will be funny..
since than i haven't tried it again 'honestly'....Razz

To my knowledge, using brute force or dictionary based atk to crack WPA2 personal AES on DDWRT
where your pass is the max limit of possible symbols, in very random order or a text-based long phrase,
is almost impossible...!!!

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ---DD-WRT 46885 BS AP,NAT,AP Isolation,Ad-Block,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT,VPN,VLAN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ---DD-WRT 46885 BS AP,NAT,AD/Block,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT,VPN,VLAN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ---Gargoyle OS 1.12.0 AP,NAT,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm/IPQ8065
Netgear R7800 -----DD-WRT 46885 BS AP,NAT,AD-Block,AP&Net Isolation,VLAN's,Firewall,Local DNS,DoT
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 -----DD-WRT 46885 BS AP,Wi-Fi OFF,NAT,AD-Block,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,VLAN's,DoT,VPN
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stubby for DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: