DD-WRT --> Guided Wave Antenna - Sanity Check

tmcquinn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 17:09    Post subject: DD-WRT --> Guided Wave Antenna - Sanity Check Reply with quote
This is my first post. I hope I am meeting the expected etiquette here.

Platform:
2 Linksys WRTGL54 routers, DD-WRT v3.0-r35531 mini (03/26/18), Windows 10, Homemade cantennas (carefully measured but time will tell...)

Experience:
I've used DD-WRT with some old WRTGL54 routers to help the inlaws with a wireless repeater. It was not easy but I stuck with it.

Also, I had my PC hiccup while trying to flash one of the new routers last night. I thought it was bricked. I got it going again via TFTP but I probably made about a dollar fifty an hour by the time I got it to work (as opposed to just buying another one). I'm just trying to show that I'm willing to do the work. I would appreciate a sanity check by those who've gone through this before or any advice to get me back on track if I'm missing something basic.

My Goal:
I am trying to get internet access about 300 feet away, let's call it from house 1 to house 2. Each cantenna can 'see' the other, no obstructions. The houses are not required to share any printers or other devices, I only want internet access in house 2. It is perfectly acceptable to only have wired access in house 2.

I realize the cantennas may or may not work. Assuming they do, I'm wanting to put one of my DD-WRT routers in house 1, the other in house 2. With the cantennas concentrating the RF to just point to each other, I'm thinking that I should just use a wired connection in house 2 and put in another router if I decide later that I need wireless. Am I thinking right?

I've tried to read the various options and I get confused every time. So a client bridge is not reliable? Is WDS what I need to connect the two units? Simpler is better but whatever speed I can get out of it would be nice. TIA

Last edited by tmcquinn on Tue Sep 18, 2018 20:14; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Sam1789
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great use for Pringle cans !!!! Idea

works for sniffing up to ~2.5 miles. Cool

wrt54GLs for ad'l 3rd tier machines.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
by its means Wi-Fi is not designed to have a greater range than its limited power of 30 Mwt...
even worst your router does not support 25 or more than that if im not wrong...
so what ever you do its a no winning game, of course you can try with Yagi antennas but it must have very short cable literally mounted next/on to the router and in your case you'd need 2...
300 feet is way to much than 50-60 feet normal wi-fi range
even if you succeed your client devices may not be able to
cope....
you may try those wi-fi boosters available on the market
you will get much better success...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
tmcquinn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
by its means Wi-Fi is not designed to have a greater range than its limited power of 30 Mwt...
even worst your router does not support 25 or more than that if im not wrong...
so what ever you do its a no winning game, of course you can try with Yagi antennas but it must have very short cable literally mounted next/on to the router and in your case you'd need 2...
300 feet is way to much than 50-60 feet normal wi-fi range
even if you succeed your client devices may not be able to
cope....
you may try those wi-fi boosters available on the market
you will get much better success...

Without intending any disrespect, every time I do what's supposed to work with an antenna it sucks and half the time when I break the rules it works fine. I'm going to try it and I'll report back either way. I just wish I could decide what's the smart way to configure it...

As I write this I am using an unaltered wireless repeater, ASUS RTN-12, connecting about 100 feet away with a tree blocking the line of sight. I'm reliably getting 19-20 mbps down.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
use the better performing wds sta mode or simply use standard client mode

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
If the antennas can see each other then you got it made.
Yes, WDS is best to use and also only have the two routers wireless to each other.... no other wifi clients.
I have somewhat same setup only mine is approx 500 yards. Goes thru power lines and over a state highway.
If you can get line-of-sight that is very good. I put this together 18 years ago and still working fine today.
Using 25ft LMI 400 cable attached to 24dBi directional grid parabolic antennas at each end. When fist setup
I only had WRT54G units to use and they did fine for several years till I got a couple E2100L units (WRT160NL do the same thing)
With the E2100L I get a sustained 40 mbps across the WDS (sometimes more sometimes a bit less).
Many clients on each end but there are other router devices attached for all clients wired & wireless.

Some folks close by had similar setup but was doing 20+ miles using boosters plus was on 100 ft antenna.
The reason this was setup in first place was our ISP when we first got broadband their system did not allow
any communication between any devices within ISP network. Many of us went around their poorly setup system by using long distance wifi links.
The ISP system is now straightened out and all of us are now with fiber but I have always let my WDS link be as was....since there
no reason for my folks to pay for internet when I already have it at my place.
tmcquinn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
If the antennas can see each other then you got it made.
Yes, WDS is best to use and also only have the two routers wireless to each other.... no other wifi clients.
I have somewhat same setup only mine is approx 500 yards. Goes thru power lines and over a state highway.
If you can get line-of-sight that is very good. I put this together 18 years ago and still working fine today.
Using 25ft LMI 400 cable attached to 24dBi directional grid parabolic antennas at each end. When fist setup
I only had WRT54G units to use and they did fine for several years till I got a couple E2100L units (WRT160NL do the same thing)
With the E2100L I get a sustained 40 mbps across the WDS (sometimes more sometimes a bit less).
Many clients on each end but there are other router devices attached for all clients wired & wireless.

Some folks close by had similar setup but was doing 20+ miles using boosters plus was on 100 ft antenna.
The reason this was setup in first place was our ISP when we first got broadband their system did not allow
any communication between any devices within ISP network. Many of us went around their poorly setup system by using long distance wifi links.
The ISP system is now straightened out and all of us are now with fiber but I have always let my WDS link be as was....since there
no reason for my folks to pay for internet when I already have it at my place.

Thank you. I will start reading up on WDS. The entire DD-WRT experience can be a bit like drinking from a firehose. Sometimes I find exactly what I'm looking for and it turns out to be a post from 11 years ago. Never sure quite what's been fixed/changed/deprecated. Anyway, I have a direction to go now.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:20    Post subject: WDS Reply with quote
This is the WDS article. It is updated, I did it myself recently. https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

Atheros based routers are best for WDS.

I actually have a large WDS network, with many wireless clients connected to routers throughout my property that connect to a main router, that connects to my EdgeRouter X (wired), that connects to my modem.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
tmcquinn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you, ian5142. That is actually where I started. It looks like I have Broadcom based devices so I printed out that section and put it with my hardware.

I'll keep an eye out for a deal on Atheros based routers. At this point I'm waiting for a couple of cables to ship from China.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
all my experience with different then stock antenna had very
small benefit and it was so sketchy to make those short very short cables behind the router..
i wont lie yep it was working but compare to the other options it was not worth the investment
and time.....

So that's y i mentioned boosters or chain of routers using WDS or client/repeater...
Those last two as well WDS are so tough to set up but once you find the wright build and SoC
compatibility yep they do work...
and still the boosters is the best option set it forget it no sketchy
at all so you decide...at last...either waste your time ....or get the real deal Wink
of course its another game if you have DD-WRT compatible units, with WDS approved in the cupboard or at the attic...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: