D-Link DIR-878 A1 Support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
datifasulli5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:16    Post subject: Re: Installation of DD-WRT on a new DIR-878 fails Reply with quote
DaveSec wrote:
datifasulli5 wrote:

This is the correct procedure for recovery mode:

1. Enter recovery mode
2. Load the WebUI, browse the file upgrade file, do *not* hit "Upload"
3. Reboot the router, again into recovery mode, then click "Upload".
4. Perhaps wait a little more than the 3:40mins until "Succeeded" is automatically printed, the router should automatically reboot.

Do I enter recovery mode by holding the reset button for about 10 seconds as I turn the router on? When I do this, I get a page called "Failsafe UI":

I followed your instructions above, based on my understanding of how to enter recovery mode, and still received this error:

[/img]

My recovery GUI was a bit different, but your procedure seems correct.
I don't know why it refuses your image.
Did you flash factory-to-ddwrt.bin?
Sponsor
DaveSec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:16    Post subject: Re: Installation of DD-WRT on a new DIR-878 fails Reply with quote
sealtael wrote:
DaveSec wrote:
sealtael wrote:

I had the same thing on every 1st try (also had my own network plugged in). When I tried a second time right after that (without my network plugged in) it worked for me.

How did you do that? When the network cable is unplugged, the image file cannot be uploaded from the PC to the router...

Sorry, I explained it wrong. my network was on it. I had another cable directly attached to my pc which i used to upload the image.

Thanks for the clarification.
I'm doomed, then. I only have one network cable connected to the router -- the one that goes to the PC from which I access the router to upload the image.

I hope someone else comes up with an idea how to flash this naughty router!
DaveSec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:17    Post subject: Re: Installation of DD-WRT on a new DIR-878 fails Reply with quote
datifasulli5 wrote:

Did you flash factory-to-ddwrt.bin?

Yup. Even tried to download it multiple times, from different browsers, using http and ftp -- in case it was damaged during one of the downloads. No change.
rwh3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:42    Post subject: factory-to-ddwrt.bin Reply with quote
Deleted

Last edited by rwh3 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 20:05; edited 1 time in total
DaveSec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I decided to sell my DIR-878a1, which I only purchased a few days ago.

Will buy a router with a track record of DD-WRT.
rwh3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I fear DaveSec may be doing the only thing we owners can do. Is there anyone out there who can post

I d/l'd and flashed version XXX and it worked

? Or even mostly worked?
jalfraag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
rwh3 wrote:
I fear DaveSec may be doing the only thing we owners can do. Is there anyone out there who can post

I d/l'd and flashed version XXX and it worked

? Or even mostly worked?

I flashed 36596 from the dlink web-ui a few days ago. It worked fine. Purchased new and was on v. 1.01.
rwh3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
@jalfraag
Thanks. Will give it a shot. Last time I relashed, I bricked the unit. Was able to fasttalk the vendor into replacing it Laughing
mozzenior
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recently bought a DIR-878 and its firmware is v1.10, and I can't update it to dd-wrt.

According to D-Link's firmware release note, v1.10 adds support to encrypted firmware. I suspect this is why I can't update it to dd-wrt.

Anyone know how to downgrade official firmware in order to update it to dd-wrt?
turetto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi there,

Somebody updated DIR-878 with build 36698?? If yes, all the process was done without failures?

So what issues was found with the router on this build??

I'm think about install dd-wrt on mine, because I would like to have a better control things like:

-MTU
-Firewall
-Logs
-and somethings more

Thanks a lot
tissuelord
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
mozzenior wrote:
I recently bought a DIR-878 and its firmware is v1.10, and I can't update it to dd-wrt.

According to D-Link's firmware release note, v1.10 adds support to encrypted firmware. I suspect this is why I can't update it to dd-wrt.

Anyone know how to downgrade official firmware in order to update it to dd-wrt?

if coming from version 1.10 or higher, you need to flash down to 1.04 first.

this is included in the 1.10 firmware from D-Link's support website. the file name should be DIR878A1_FW104B05_Middle_FW_Unencrypt.bin

to flash the unencrypted firmware, make sure you go into D-Link's Router Recovery mode:

- power off the router
    - hold the reset button
    - power on the router while holding the reset button for 10-15 seconds
    - the router's power light will be orange and start blinking
    - set your IP address manually and connect to 192.168.0.1

i just bought the router and tested r36808 dd-wrt on it. right now, it's still pretty unstable. here's some issues i found:

- hardware button does not reset router
    - startup has 2.4 GHz radio drop out, but comes back after a few moments
    - toggling both 5GHz and 2.4GHz radios cause some weird issues
    - when toggling 2.4GHz radio, 5GHz also turns off, but seems to resolve itself after a few seconds
    - router just outright died at one point
    - router reboots 12 hours into operation. reboots are random in nature but are very sporadic.
    - webflash does not work. needed to go to factory firmware then reflash higher dd-wrt version.
turetto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
tissuelord wrote:

if coming from version 1.10 or higher, you need to flash down to 1.04 first.

this is included in the 1.10 firmware from D-Link's support website. the file name should be DIR878A1_FW104B05_Middle_FW_Unencrypt.bin

to flash the unencrypted firmware, make sure you go into D-Link's Router Recovery mode:

- power off the router
    - hold the reset button
    - power on the router while holding the reset button for 10-15 seconds
    - the router's power light will be orange and start blinking
    - set your IP address manually and connect to 192.168.0.1

i just bought the router and tested r36808 dd-wrt on it. right now, it's still pretty unstable. here's some issues i found:

- hardware button does not reset router
    - startup has 2.4 GHz radio drop out, but comes back after a few moments
    - toggling both 5GHz and 2.4GHz radios cause some weird issues
    - when toggling 2.4GHz radio, 5GHz also turns off, but seems to resolve itself after a few seconds
    - router just outright died at one point
    - router reboots 12 hours into operation. reboots are random in nature but are very sporadic.
    - webflash does not work. needed to go to factory firmware then reflash higher dd-wrt version.

Thanks a lot for clarify the process to upgrade encrypted firmware. So, let me know: is this process reliable?? What firmware version comes in your router before you put ddwrt?

So, you told about the build r36808(I think is the newest), so what do you think about it? With this issues is better than original firmware??

Thanks a lot!!!

P.S: Here are the version I found searching on router database:
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/08-22-2018-r36698/dlink-dir878-a1/
honcito
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 13:29    Post subject: VPN support Reply with quote
Hi,

I both this router based on the list of supported devices to flash with DD-WRT (and not having other options here where I live) and then install my VPN provider applet, but unfortunately I now realize that this firmware does not support VPN.. so now I'm trapped with this router not able to use for the purpose I bought it..

Is there any possibility to have VPN support in future releases?

Thanks
honcito
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 13:29    Post subject: VPN support Reply with quote
Hi,

I bought this router based on the list of supported devices to flash with DD-WRT (and not having other options here where I live) and then install my VPN provider applet, but unfortunately I now realize that this firmware does not support VPN.. so now I'm trapped with this router not able to use for the purpose I bought it..

Thanks
jalfraag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:39    Post subject: Re: VPN support Reply with quote
honcito wrote:
Hi,

I bought this router based on the list of supported devices to flash with DD-WRT (and not having other options here where I live) and then install my VPN provider applet, but unfortunately I now realize that this firmware does not support VPN.. so now I'm trapped with this router not able to use for the purpose I bought it..

Thanks

I have the 882 version and it runs openvpn just fine.
You would be better contacting your vpn provider.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 11
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: