Looking for Recommendation!!!

bbfugitive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 15:33    Post subject: Looking for Recommendation!!! Reply with quote
I'm in the market for a new home router.
I have several gamers at home (2 story) and we have tons of wireless devices.

What hardware is the fastest supporting QoS and is fully stable with dd-wrt?
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
As i always say, so far with Kong DD-WRT builds
depends on your budget get either Netgear R7000 or R7800...
personally i have them both but prefer R7800 as it has a great specs, its stable for my needs and you can even get it
second hand or Ebay or Amason for a decent price, so far its the best price/performance router out there...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
bbfugitive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
As i always say, so far with Kong DD-WRT builds
depends on your budget get either Netgear R7000 or R7800...
personally i have them both but prefer R7800 as it has a great specs, its stable for my needs and you can even get it
second hand or Ebay or Amason for a decent price, so far its the best price/performance router out there...

I have the R7800 and will try the Kong build. So far the QOS is broken on the stock netgear fw, and the hacked dumaos and regular modded build by voxel.

I am crossing my fingers on this one and hope that it works and there aren't any show stoppers. I am feeling pissed because Netgear should have addressed the issues with the chipset on their router but so many users are unable to set the custom QOS settings in it.

If I have to buy another, it won't be Netgear right now Mad
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you read the R7800 thread you will find out that there is no router with perfect QoS shaping on the market...even R7800 with Kong firmware will not save you ass in particular cases, but yep in general it works and its very much settings dependant and scenario dependant spend some time in reading and understanding it before you try...
do keep in mind if you are switching from one 3 rd party firmware to another you must go back to stock and do it in appropriate way as far as i know Voxell causes some funny stories and bad scenarios, that why its not recommended at all...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
consorts
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
bbfugitive wrote:
So far the QOS is broken on netgear

i wish i had known this before attempting to upgrade from a wrt1200v2 to an r7500v2. i'm wasting more time getting lan qos (boot loops) and wan qos (+8ms latency) to work - even with kong builds. i never would have bought a netgear had i known what a time sink this would become Embarassed
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
consorts if you notice through a bit of a reading the threads, where you didn't... you would find that R7500v2 is not the best and recommended router and has its own issues..
that's where reading pays off, that's what i did before i buy anything and all my routers in my sig according to my use scenarios are worry free...so far

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
consorts
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
R7500v2 is not the best and recommended router and has its own issues..

a good deal on one fell into my lap (month end move aways on craigslist), so i figured how bad could it be, may as well grab it and find out. but when basics like lan-qos and even 5ghz wifi were unreliable, i just could not subject my 5 adult household to such instability, as they've grown too accustomed to our rock solid r34315 low latency wrt1200ac.v2 for that.

it's a shame BS does not work harder to "compete" with Kong, so between them the DD-WRT community enjoys more thoroughly vetted firmware. at minimum i needed more than 2 ssid's per radio, so netgear's stock firmware was always going to be a non starter... those corporate idiots - all the useless crap they put into their routers, and they can't be bothered with multiple guest networks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: