TL-WR841N v9.0

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40
jmfolcik
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I went back and retested with upnp turned off again. It seemed to improve 10-15megabit. Peaks are definitely higher too watching the nic in task manager on the computer doing the testing.

How is upnp a higher usage of cpu than a straight port forward? Is there an alternative? I'll have to create like 6 port forwards for the xbox now in its place but if that's all there is to it I'll take the improvement!

edit: I added tcp/udp port 3074 for the xbox and its happy now with the nat, that's the only thing I cared about besides plex and plex was easy too, so 2 total forwards.
Sponsor
jmfolcik
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm trying out WDS for the first time, it seems to work great for what I need. Back yard is between the house and garage, and I wanted better coverage in the back yard and garage. It does the trick. The house is covered by the WDS AP and the yard/garage is covered by the WDS Station. The WDS AP is a WR841 v11 and the garage has a WR841 v9. They have the same innards just different clock speed so they seem pretty compatible. I've noticed however that any client that connects to the WDS Station, shows up as connected via "legacy" and max of 54megabit. When they connect to the WDS AP, they go at HT20/HT40-SGI depending on capability. The WDS Station connects to the WDS AP with HT40SGI.

Also, if you ever connect to the WDS Station and then migrate to the WDS AP, you remain on its wireless status page of WDS Station as being a client forever.
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmfolcik wrote:
...client that connects to the WDS Station, shows up as connected via "legacy" and max of 54megabit....

If you get 54 and legacy, then you may have a setting that isn't wholly compatible with N specs.
You could do a file-copy throughput test to confirm actual speed though.

Last edited by danielwritesback on Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:38; edited 1 time in total
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:46    Post subject: Running down your batteries? Reply with quote
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316458

It seems that one can upgrade, up to 36330 without running the batteries down, early, on your mobiles.

Chatty stuff:
Personally, I haven't upgraded beyond 35831, because the newer versions have bugs added faster than fixes, no merit for older routers, and the slightly older version is rather enjoyable for my uses. My archer likes it too. In both cases, it is necessary to disable strict-order dns on the services page to get brisk browsing, which is a router feature unrelated to internet subscription cost.

Last edited by danielwritesback on Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:24; edited 1 time in total
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:05    Post subject: Newer firmware lan bridge Reply with quote
Past 36410 there may be even worse difficulties routing between lan ports.
$12 fix: Use only 1 lan port, and run that cord to a gigabit switch.

Last edited by danielwritesback on Wed Sep 05, 2018 18:48; edited 4 times in total
ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:07    Post subject: Re: Running down your batteries? Reply with quote
[quote="danielwritesback"

It seems that one can upgrade, up to 36330 without running the batteries down, early, on your mobiles.

Personally, I haven't upgraded beyond 35831, because the newer versions have bugs added faster than fixes....

...disable strict-order dns on the services page to get brisk browsing......[/quote]

I use an Archer C7 with my 841 ver9s and I`m parked at r36330 for a while too. Now the "disable strict-order dns" is a neat tweek I hadn`t tried yet. I changed them all and will report how that works out. Thanks !
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 18:41    Post subject: Re: Running down your batteries? Reply with quote
ramblin wrote:
I use an Archer C7 with my 841 ver9s and I`m parked at r36330 for a while too. Now the "disable strict-order dns" is a neat tweek I hadn`t tried yet. I changed them all and will report how that works out. Thanks !

You can do a test at https://www.dnsleaktest.com/
Use the extended test. What you don't want to see is only 1 dns server (slow browsing).

Disabling strict-order dns will have https://www.dnsleaktest.com/ now showing several dns servers (fast browsing).
That's the default behavior for dnsmasq. It will use the info from whichever dns server responds fastest.

If you don't want strict order slowness and don't want the ISP's dns either, here's a bit for the options box
Code:
no-resolv
server=1.1.1.1
server=1.0.0.1
cache-size=512
no-negcache
bogus-priv
domain-needed
quiet-dhcp
log-facility=-
#

Then you can run the extended test and see that (if strict order disabled) all of cloudflare's DNS have responded.
See the cache-size at 512? That's the actual default for dnsmasq. This size is unhindered by memory management. If more ram were available, I might use 1024, but not larger. The cache works like a rummage drawer, so bathtub size is unnecessary.

P.S.
Other matter related to brisk browsing is QOS+SFE. If the download figure is low enough to work, browsing gets lags. I tested with a tumblr archive page (maximum pictures), and clicked the mouse wheel to auto scroll. White page with no pictures. Then I increased the QOS download figure, slightly higher than my speed test so that qos can't interfere with downloads. The next test had screens full of pictures scrolling by, no lags.
skaxxo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
hello guys...

what is the latest WORKING firmware versions for this tplink?

I have installed several firmware, but still unstable... it will reboot without a reasons...

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
skaxxo wrote:
hello guys... what is the latest WORKING firmware versions for this tplink? I have installed several firmware, but still unstable... it will reboot without a reasons...thanks

However, that's not what you should use right now. Now you should use 33006 known stable version, so you can diagnose your hardware. Could be a bad power cord. Otherwise, spontaneous reset isn't a ordinary fault mode for this router.

It is possible that you need to clean it out, by loading the webrevert to factory (from https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=85237 ) and reset, and then load factory firmware again, but this time from tplink's website, and reset. Now it will pretend to be new.
Summary:
1 webrevert file, reset
2 tplink.com version, reset
3 dd-wrt 33006, reset
Ready.

And, there's been no merit added to newer firmware files, with relevance to this model, since 2017. Newer just has more faults added. Instead of that, you actually want favorites.
Some favored versions: 27506, 27745, 31899, 33006, 33555, 35034, 35831, 35927, 36006, 36330.
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 22:58    Post subject: Switch Ports Reply with quote
Enables ethernet ports for recent versions of dd-wrt.
Phil9992 wrote:
... startup command :

swconfig dev switch0 set reset 1
swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch0 set apply

Alternate version that includes enabling modern multicast functionality:

swconfig dev switch0 set reset 1
swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch0 set igmp_snooping 1
swconfig dev switch0 set apply

E3000 5ghz multicast AP DD-WRT 33525 K2.6
WRT54GSv2 long range AP HyperWRT 15
2 WR841Nv9 DD-WRT 33006 AP
Zen11t
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi!

Anybody tested new version for wr841n v9? Thx
Giustino
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi to all.
Many years ago I bought this router and now I have decide to install the last version of dd-wrt firmware. Until here it’s all ok but when I go to the vpn services I can’t find openvpn service.
Can anyone explain to me the reason? Maybe ram is not enough?
Thanks in advance to who will answer me.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
4MB flash routers will NOT have OpenVPN:

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/TP-LINK_TL-WR841N_v9.x

Insert standard blurb here about we will not have 200-page threads, open new threads for help, report your successful flashes and issues in the build threads, etc. This thread is now linked in the references sticky at the top of the forum for preservation purposes. Thank You.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 Display posts from previous:    Page 40 of 40
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: