Turn of Broadcasting on Repeater Router but Still Receive

zubbs1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:55    Post subject: Turn of Broadcasting on Repeater Router but Still Receive Reply with quote
The goal is to reduce the wifi radiation transmitting through my house. So here is my situation:

ISP router is adjacent to south wall. Computers needing wired connections adjacent to northwest corner. Cannot run cabling along baseboard due to crossing open archway. Therefore I use a second router as repeater, then run wired connection from it to computers needing connection.

I only need this repeater to receive the 2.4ghz signal from the ISP router and share it via cat 5. I do not want it physically broadcasting a wifi signal. I don't want it to simply not display on scans of wireless networks, I mean I do not want it transmitting any wireless signal. Is this something that is even possible?

I know I can run cat 5 up between the joists on the isp router wall, across my attic, and down between the joists on the repeater router. Then I could replace the repeater router with a simple switch, and accomplish the same thing.

I just want to know if I can achieve the same without doing the extra trudging through the hot attic.
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
It can’t just receive, it has to broadcast back to the main router.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
So in fact you need client (bridge) mode. In that case it won't broadcast an ssid, so no show on usual lists. But it needs to physically transmit a signal so your computers can communicate. But it will be one like a computer, so, client, so ""receive"" only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: