BS 36410 WebUI upgrade broken - R9000

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 18:49    Post subject: BS 36410 WebUI upgrade broken - R9000 Reply with quote
BS 36410 ran smooth until I tried to do a GUI update. It freezes at 1%.

I haven't done a TFTP in years since the WRT600N days....
Can someone point me to the proper procedure these days?

I have DrayTek's router tools V3.6.something and I used to use that.

Do I static IP my PC to 192.168.1.xxx and then use 192.168.1.1 for the router IP?

Also, Power off, hold reset, power on, let go of reset, and upload the new BIN immediately?

Or do I need to ping and watch for some TTL reply and then start uploading.

Sorry, like it said, it's been years and I lost my notepad instructions file on how to TFTP.

36410 runs just fine, just can't gui update. I am open to other suggestions too.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsor
jean019
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe you can try to update or downgrade thru telnet ?
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1091764#1091764

netgear R9000 : r49934 (Vanilla)
netgear R7800 : [n°1] r50595 (Vanilla) / [n°2] r49934 (Vanilla) / [n°3] r49934 (Vanilla) / [n°4] r49934 (Vanilla)
tp-link archer C7v2 : r49934 (Vanilla)
tp-link archer C5v1.2@C7v2 : r33772
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:05    Post subject: [Solved] Reply with quote
OK, using TFPTx64, I turn off the router, push the reset button and hold it in while powering back on, watch the power light until it flickers on/off in repetition, have my bin file pre-picked and ready to "put", IP's are right, and hit the put button. It loads the file, then at the end gives me a checksum error. I cannot overwrite 36410 right now. Tried to downgrade, upgrade, Kong, revert to netgear, all files flake out with the checksum error.

Should I be using default block size or something else?

Any pointers?

EDIT-
OK, So I used an .IMG file vs BIN and it loaded just fine....Now running 36596....mDNS/Multicast/Bonjour is still broken so you have to use the multicast to unicast workaround.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:04    Post subject: Re: [Solved] Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
OK, using TFPTx64, I turn off the router, push the reset button and hold it in while powering back on, watch the power light until it flickers on/off in repetition, have my bin file pre-picked and ready to "put", IP's are right, and hit the put button. It loads the file, then at the end gives me a checksum error. I cannot overwrite 36410 right now. Tried to downgrade, upgrade, Kong, revert to netgear, all files flake out with the checksum error.

Should I be using default block size or something else?

Any pointers?

EDIT-
OK, So I used an .IMG file vs BIN and it loaded just fine....Now running 36596....mDNS/Multicast/Bonjour is still broken so you have to use the multicast to unicast workaround.

.img (or whatever the initial flash file is for the unit) factory files are always used for tftp along with from stock -> ddwrt. for any router with a tftp recovery built in it. the .bins/webflash is just for webflashes/telnet/ssh flashes only

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

pantsoftime
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I ran into the broken upgrade problem this morning and found a simpler workaround than TFTP. I was coming from build 36527 and trying to get to 36596 and the Web UI was freezing at 1%.

First I tried following the command line upgrade process from the wiki which uses the "write" command. I found that when I ran this command I was immediately disconnected and the upgrade didn't run. Interestingly I was still able to get into the GUI at this point.

I speculated that the write command was stopping because it was killing the session that initiated it, so I tried using "screen" to create a persistent session. This solved the problem.

Basic procedure:
1. ssh into router
2. cd /tmp
3. wget <filename of binfile to upgrade to>
4. screen
5. (dismiss splash screen by hitting enter)
6. write <filename> linux
7. wait 5 minutes
8. Reboot router

This worked for me and the router is now running 36596.

Hope this helps other people having this issue.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
pantsoftime wrote:
I ran into the broken upgrade problem this morning and found a simpler workaround than TFTP. I was coming from build 36527 and trying to get to 36596 and the Web UI was freezing at 1%.

First I tried following the command line upgrade process from the wiki which uses the "write" command. I found that when I ran this command I was immediately disconnected and the upgrade didn't run. Interestingly I was still able to get into the GUI at this point.

I speculated that the write command was stopping because it was killing the session that initiated it, so I tried using "screen" to create a persistent session. This solved the problem.

Basic procedure:
1. ssh into router
2. cd /tmp
3. wget <filename of binfile to upgrade to>
4. screen
5. (dismiss splash screen by hitting enter)
6. write <filename> linux
7. wait 5 minutes
8. Reboot router

This worked for me and the router is now running 36596.

Hope this helps other people having this issue.

Were you running the multicast to unicast "fix?"
I wonder if that might be causing the issue. You can't undelete any of the writing in the config box...maybe it's tied together?
pantsoftime
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:

Were you running the multicast to unicast "fix?"
I wonder if that might be causing the issue. You can't undelete any of the writing in the config box...maybe it's tied together?

I was running the fix but I'm having a hard time linking the two, especially since command line updating was also broken (until I used screen).
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I added a ticket regarding 36410+ builds not allowing bin file webflash. Only TFTP of img files works. Sucks having to enter all the settings over and over....

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6414#ticket
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
I added a ticket regarding 36410+ builds not allowing bin file webflash. Only TFTP of img files works. Sucks having to enter all the settings over and over....

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6414#ticket

did u try if upgrade through cli works? it'll keep the settings like webflash if it does

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: