Any solid builds for wrrt3200 past 8 months?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
dem737
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 19:07    Post subject: Any solid builds for wrrt3200 past 8 months? Reply with quote
I have wrt3200 and two wrt1900v1 all sitting on a shelf. THe reboot/freeze when Samsung device is connected issue was still not solved when I hang them up 8 months ago. Would anyone please save me 90 pages of reading since I last looked and tell me if we have a solid build solving reboots, freezes, and using all channels? THis chip s_cks
Thanks!
Sponsor
malgis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had the 3200acm for 20 months. Tried countless DD-WRT builds and the only properly working was the ...factory firmware, which itself is, well, useless. No possibility of disabling the remote administration alone is a joke.

With the DD WRT it's either the wifi drops, dhcp issues, TLS not working, DLNA not working, random restarts or whatnot.

Got fed up of all that and bought myself a mikrotik. The setup is a pain, but it just sits there and works and gives you more you could ever dream of. And even with the internal antennas the wifi range is pretty much the same.

Suddenly I no longer have WiFi disconnects, all the devices are issued IPs and even the friggin DD-WRT client bridge works flawlessly.

So while DD-WRT itself is a godsend (kudos to the developers), the combination of it and this hardware seems to be hopeless.

And I'll never buy a Linksys again.
dem737
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. Stock my wrt3200acm drops our cell phones and will not allow reconnects. I bought a factory refurbished one. So it is still a POS. I used to LOVE Linksys...Now, I will never by them again!!

I am look at the best Netgear that was last years model whatever that is hahahha or maybe Asus. THis router is 18 months old for me and a useless waste of money
mikeska
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:26    Post subject: Re: Any solid builds for wrrt3200 past 8 months? Reply with quote
dem737 wrote:
I have wrt3200 and two wrt1900v1 all sitting on a shelf. THe reboot/freeze when Samsung device is connected issue was still not solved when I hang them up 8 months ago. Would anyone please save me 90 pages of reading since I last looked and tell me if we have a solid build solving reboots, freezes, and using all channels? THis chip s_cks
Thanks!

The May 7th build r35898 has been the most recent stable build for my new wrt 3200.

myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
dem737 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Stock my wrt3200acm drops our cell phones and will not allow reconnects. I bought a factory refurbished one. So it is still a POS. I used to LOVE Linksys...Now, I will never by them again!!

I am look at the best Netgear that was last years model whatever that is hahahha or maybe Asus. THis router is 18 months old for me and a useless waste of money

I spent lots of time with the WRT's started with the wrt1900ac v1 then wrt1900acs v1 then wrt3200. None were ever stable for me no matter the firmware. They have been sent to new homes.

Now reason for this note. DO NOT get a Netgear r8000 or r8000p if you choose to go the Netgear route. They have had firmware issues for months with no end in site. The Netgear r7800 I have runs well with Voxel and even better with LEDE. Never tried dd-wrt on the r7800 as my luck with a stable router has not been good with dd-wrt and am getting so I hate the UI. I picked up my r7800 still in box on Ebay for a very nice price.

--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
mclean
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
For what it's worth, the build I'm currently using is r33215 and it works flawlessly with my WRT3200ACM; however, it's a year old (and not within your 8 month criteria). I have tried several times to update my router's build, and when I do, I have problems with the wireless radios, usually the 5GHz band.
Chuckiebob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 18:08    Post subject: Re: Any solid builds for wrrt3200 past 8 months? Reply with quote
mikeska wrote:

The May 7th build r35898 has been the most recent stable build for my new wrt 3200.

mclean,
Build r35898 has been my default firmware as well. Works well for me on my WRT3200ACM. Try a fresh install from the Linksys OEM firmware.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 21:10    Post subject: Re: Any solid builds for wrrt3200 past 8 months? Reply with quote
Chuckiebob wrote:
mikeska wrote:

mclean,
Build r35898 has been my default firmware as well. Works well for me on my WRT3200ACM. Try a fresh install from the Linksys OEM firmware.

Thank you for the tip!

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:57    Post subject: Re: Any solid builds for wrrt3200 past 8 months? Reply with quote
mclean wrote:
Chuckiebob wrote:
mikeska wrote:

mclean,

Thank you for the tip!

Hope it works out well for you!

adamlogan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="myersw"]
dem737 wrote:
Now reason for this note. DO NOT get a Netgear r8000 or r8000p if you choose to go the Netgear route. They have had firmware issues for months with no end in site. The Netgear r7800 I have runs well with Voxel and even better with LEDE. Never tried dd-wrt on the r7800 as my luck with a stable router has not been good with dd-wrt and am getting so I hate the UI. I picked up my r7800 still in box on Ebay for a very nice price.

--bill

Thanks for the info, I'm considering the Netgear 9000 after negative experiences with the Asus ROG 3500 and now the Linksys WRT3200ACM. Hmm. I'll need to look around some more.
adamlogan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
malgis wrote:
Got fed up of all that and bought myself a mikrotik. The setup is a pain, but it just sits there and works and gives you more you could ever dream of. And even with the internal antennas the wifi range is pretty much the same.

Do you mind my asking which model you bought, and why/how set up is a pain?
malgis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got the hAP AC - https://mikrotik.com/product/RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT

It has the best radio from their SOHO routers (range is even better than the WRT3200ACM, by the way), and the OS is the same as in all their other products - an enterprise level product.

I spoke with their representatives in BC and they told me large companies are buying these in hundreds. They might be exaggerating, but this is perfectly believable, having in mind the feature set of RouterOS.

The OS itself is one of the unfriendliest I've ever seen (for example, even an innocent port redirection takes a while to set up for the first time). I've been using a mikrotik long distance radio link in late 1990s, so in terms of the friendliness of the UX, it didn't change much since then.

However, it has pretty much any feature you could dream of and the expandability is, well, not even comparable to anything else I've ever seen in this price category. And just like I mentioned before, it just sits there and works.

Before connecting this to your existing network, I'd suggest reading their wikis / forums and preconfiguring the device, as otherwise you'll have downtime before you will properly understand their way of thinking.
dem737
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone. I'll try stock, but that is not why I bought these. I'll probably buy a R7800. My old Asus 1900 just works and has for years BTW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: